• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching Twin peaks, then I saw the trailer for this game. The inspiration is definitely apparent, so I might get this just for the hell of it.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
^Have you seen the trailer for the original scrapped version called Rainy Woods? It's basically a Twin Peaks video game.

This game can be verrrrrry annoying, but it also evokes moments of pure terror and beauty. Watch the intro and tell me you don't feel something. The parts where you are chased and have to hide from the raincoat killer are amazing. The whole "hold your breath" as you creep by a demon that is two inches away from you also gave me chills.

Oh and the infamous sandwich is actually kinda tasty in real life.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Funnily enough I just finished this last night. If you were to review this based purely on gameplay it's just terrible. Every part of this game has been done much better elsewhere.
However, if you play this game for the narrative you're in for a treat, providing of course you aren't put off by how much some of it is hammed up to the max. I was genuinely invested in some of the characters by the end and if the epilogue means what I interpreted it to have meant, then I think it's a really fantastic ending.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
So like, I get an anime site being paid to give games good reviews, but to give obscure games bad reviews? Who is benefiting from this?...
sainta

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
So like, I get an anime site being paid to give games good reviews, but to give obscure games bad reviews? Who is benefiting from this?...

But this game falls into the category of "so bad it's good." Giving this game a perfect score could be a sin. The character models, York's manners, some graphics and the gameplay are so hilarious that they are worth of our time. In the game's intro York states he believes that Tom and Jerry are masochist lovers. The scene in which York tastes the Sinner's Sandwich is awesome for how ridiculous it is.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:

What?
daveriley

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
But I gave it a C+ so actually someone paid me off to give it an above average review.

(the plot thickens)
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
A very fun piece of schlock indeed. Definitely worth the 20 bucks when I got it on 360.

Isn't that right, Zack?
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I read a game reviewed by someone other than Yahtzee that didn't make me actively dislike the author.

Entertaining and completely reasonable review.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
When will we get a Blue Velvet-inspired video game?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Easily one of the most charming main characters in gaming with Agent York. Gameplay may be stilted, but the crime and supernatural drama was amazing to me. The game oozes with character personality and the game has a very solid sense of suspense and unveiling mystery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1