• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old Boy - Anybody else disappointed?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReaKon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi All,

I was just wondering if there was anyone else who was majorly disappointing in the ending of the Old boy manga? I watched the film a few years back and thought it was brilliant. When I began to read manga, I saw that they had it in tankoben format and decided to try it out. I assumed I would enjoy the story as much and went straight into buying all 8 volumes.

I am surprised that the manga did so well and was enough to inspire the film. I think the screen-writer/director did the right thing in changing the story to what it is.

There were some aspects of the manga that I enjoyed, but I am not sure if I enjoyed it as I knew (or I thought I knew) what was coming at the end. The art work is fairly decent aswell.

What are all your thoughts?
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
i wouldn't say i was disappointed. But as the story goes to an end. I thought the final plot has more thrill factor into it. It was just, i was expecting more. I haven't seen the live action one though, but as far as my opinion goes for the manga, i think the author did pretty well working on it somehow. It was a good read for me, not a waste of time.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
I actually liked the manga ending more than the movie ending. The movie ending felt tacked on, but the manga really seemed to capture the continuous uncertainty of someone who's had to go through all those hoops, only to finally be let off the hook. One of the few times I appreciate when a story goes the "realistic" route.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
It must have been just because I was expecting a more extravagant ending then. I would recommend the film, it is very good.
Welshie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
I was also a bit disappointed with the manga. I mean, I guess I was expecting basically the storyline from the movie but more flushed out, which wasn't the case at all. I was surprised how different it was than the movie. I'm not sure why the changes were made that occurred, but I definitely feel it was for the best as the movie is a masterpiece.

The manga is still good, just... very different.
KumarSivasubramanian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
In terms of pure stylishness, though, the manga version cannot be beat. The art is so beautiful and atmospheric. And I'm saying that in full agreement that the movie was wonderfully stylish as well.

KS
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing with the ending for Old Boy, it didn't quite have the payoff you as the reader are expecting from a mystery that's just so engrossing. I mean for pretty much all 8 volumes you are strung along this very vague mystery game that you have to wonder just what this event was, which made someone invest so much money into manipulating, that when the payoff comes and it's something you find to be a relatively weak reasoning that you just find it anti-climactic. I felt that way; however, if you paid attention to "Dojima's" character you understand that his reasoning to it holds so much more importance to him that you end up not being so disappointed by it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1