• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2013 - Anime Sols

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Congrats Rebecca! Its sounds like many of the people who were there hadn't heard of AnimeSols before attending, so this probably helped raise some much-needed awareness.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Seems a bit late for awareness given that all of the box-set drive have only between 10-20 days left and most are only a small fraction funded. It's also not encouraging that "a small crowd" was in attendance at the panel.
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
* sound of crickets chirping *

The lack of posting in this thread thusfar appears to be a pretty accurate representation of the level of interest that anime fandom has expressed in the crowdfunding plans of Anime Sols, unfortunately.
Their Anime Expo presentation was obviously intended to drum up a lot of fan support, but their site isn't showing any significant increase in the amount of money being pledged. Creamy Mami's barometer currently actually seems to be showing a slightly lower amount than it did a few days ago.

As a fan of a number of older anime series, and classic shoujo in particular, i would love to see Anime Sols succeed, but in their current incarnation it certainly doesn't look like they'll get anywhere close to raising the amount they'll need. I hope they manage to reconfigure their business in a way that'll allow them to reach a larger audience, but for the time being i'll continue to rely on Discotek and Nozomi for my classic anime fix.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The need newer stuff and, and goals that would be easier to achieve. Try something that only needs $5,000 to succeed, like an OVA, not $18,000.

And, I want to know how many people actually were eligible for that trip to Japan. Call me a paranoid delusion asshole, but I do find it suspect that a member of press won it, of at least 108 (how many I see pledged for Creamy Mami, not even the amount who just registered). Someone who could easily do a nice write up about the trip and AnimeSols later on. Not trying to accuse, though.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The need newer stuff and, and goals that would be easier to achieve. Try something that only needs $5,000 to succeed, like an OVA, not $18,000.

They even bundled those three TV movies together so the running time is similar to the 13-episode sets that are their main way of (attempting to) do things.

Maybe they should have tried them singly?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

And, I want to know how many people actually were eligible for that trip to Japan. Call me a paranoid delusion asshole, but I do find it suspect that a member of press won it, of at least 108 (how many I see pledged for Creamy Mami, not even the amount who just registered). Someone who could easily do a nice write up about the trip and AnimeSols later on. Not trying to accuse, though.

Honestly I was really shocked myself once I realized who she was. I thought the name sounded familiar but couldn't place it. I emailed her ahead of time to make sure she was eligible and accepted the prize.
She wasn't sure she could win but looking at my own rules she was definitely eligible since she was not a contracter or employee of any of the Anime Sols partners.

The total number of eligible people were 2070 (minus registrations that have never been confirmed, so more like 2000 or so)
The process I used was a random number generation website picking numbers from 1-2070 and her number was the first on the list.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Congrats Rebecca! Its sounds like many of the people who were there hadn't heard of AnimeSols before attending, so this probably helped raise some much-needed awareness.

Thanks! I couldn't (and still can't) quite believe it. Smile As SamuelP said, I really wasn't sure I was eligible, especially since I wrote those Creamy Mami and Tobikage reviews, but it appears that it was just luck. (And with the hideous year I've had, I could use some.) And for the record, I chose to write those; no one assigned them to me.

I hope the panel did raise some awareness - I really want AnimeSols to succeed (hence the reviews)...and I want my Creamy Mami DVDs!
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, really found in a closet. You aren't changed unless the goal is met.

Quote:
What we have on thes ite is awesome shows.

Quote:
We have the original and for th first time ever

Quote:
This is the brand new version of Yatterman and you can watch both on the set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1