• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Stops Shipping Sword Art Online DVD Set 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, with the money they charge you for their releases, you'd think they'd, y'know, check them before shipping them out and do a proper job on them.

Every other anime company > Aniplex
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Technically the release date isn't for a few more days so they did catch this before they were supposed to street, pantysmores.
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Technically the release date isn't for a few more days so they did catch this before they were supposed to street, pantysmores.

Still, your $40 DVD (with only 7 episodes on it...) is now on indefinite hold while you wait for Aniplex to get it together.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
Nayu wrote:

Still, your $40 DVD (with only 7 episodes on it...) is now on indefinite hold while you wait for Aniplex to get it together.

Better than my You're Under Arrest dvds or my Sailor Moon Season 1 dvds which were never fixed.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
The Aniplex USA booth at Otakon was selling this too.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
Of course, this isn't effecting me cause I don't live in the stone age and have a blu-ray player. People still buy DVDs? 480p is wonderful!
.Eckilsax.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quality control. Look into it Aniplex.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Psst. Aniplex. Your glue is ruining boxes too...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
i don't think people care. most people either don't buy Aniplex anime or buy the bluray version. maybe only the haters care.

Aniplex hire other companies to do make and ship the dvd, i'm pretty it's another company messed it up.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Aniplex needs help in some departments. First distribution, now authorization and quality control.

Nayu wrote:
Of course, this isn't effecting me cause I don't live in the stone age and have a blu-ray player. People still buy DVDs? 480p is wonderful!

Well, when the Blu-rays are $90 per-7 episodes and the DVDs are $40...

I have a Blu-ray player, and it's the same reason I'm choosing to get Gundam UC on DVD. In that case, it'll save me over $300 for the whole show.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

*shrug* I personally don't think the sacrifice of image and sound quality is worth it, but to each his own.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong. I love my Blu-rays, but when the cost difference is THAT incredible, you have to ask yourself if it's even worth paying that much, especially if it's a show you're just a casual fan of.

Plus while the DVDs won't look or sound as good as the Blu-rays, I'm sure in this case, the show will still look/sound decent, especially if played on a Blu-ray player.

Also, there's of course a lot of stuff that's not/never will be on Blu-ray.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

*shrug* I personally don't think the sacrifice of image and sound quality is worth it, but to each his own.

Honestly, for 50 bucks difference, I'd sacrifice a little sound and image quality -some people like me, really don't care that much about it- every day for the rest of my life. From where I see it, unless that $90 BD washes the dishes for me, it's definitely not worth whatever quality improvement. But hey, I didn't even like this show, there's no way I'd ever pay 40 bucks for 7 episodes of it on any format, so whatever
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Nayu wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Honestly, for 50 bucks difference, I'd sacrifice a little sound and image quality -some people like me, really don't care that much about it- every day for the rest of my life. From where I see it, unless that $90 BD washes the dishes for me, it's definitely not worth whatever quality improvement. But hey, I didn't even like this show, there's no way I'd ever pay 40 bucks for 7 episodes of it on any format, so whatever

Back in the old days, I'd pay $40 for two episodes dubbed only on VHS. 7 episodes for $90? Annoying but still a much better deal.
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Actually the street date was today, and a few people got their sets early since rightstuf ships their pre-order items as soon as their available and not on the release date. So I imagine a few made it out before they halted sales of their remaining inventory.

Still didn't take long before all the aniplex haters came to chime in. Any company can make a mistake and they are fixing the problem at no cost to their customers and are going by the sales records from rightstuf to mail replacement discs so what more do you want?

What if this happened to Funimation what they would get a pass? Hell Sentai screws up all the time and they don't get as much flack.

When my Garden of Sinners DVD disc 1 had one little translation error in the pre-show clip that it not part of the actual movie they sent me a replacement disc direct to my home didn't have to fill out anything. Hell I didn't even know of the problem until I got it in the mail since I never opened it because I scored a limited edition blu-ray set so I sold it off at cost.

At least the blu-rays are ok, will pick those up when either all 4 sets are released or maybe the first 2 when the next one comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5