• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: G4 Network Rebranded as Esquire

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Well, they'll never be playing anime there again, guess that's the last we'll hear of that channel.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
And there's the final nail in TechTV's coffin Sad

Quote:
There is a vastly under-served audience in cable TV — today's modern man

Which is why there's Spike TV, TruTV, FX, The Hub, and other channels I'm probably not aware of. Clearly Esquire is another channel we need.

At least they're keeping Ninja Warrior, the only show on there I watch as is
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
This doesn't really effect me since DirecTV dropped G4 years ago, and I haven't watched it since. The channel was on an elevator straight to hell THEN, I fear to see what happened afterword... Ninja Warrior was a cool show though, and I admit missing watching it, but I've LONG since moved on. Razz

I do miss the good old days of (good / funny) X-Play...

This new channel does look to be a carbon copy of SPIKE TV. At least C.O.P.S. and Cheaters will hopefully not be 75% of the channel's lineup...

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Guess this completes G4's complete Network Decay.

Is there a reason, outside of money, for why network executives keep killing themed channels and feature programming that, in many cases, where the quality is horrible to subpar? Because you would think the demographic that cared for those themed channels would be a bit ticked off to see things like what was the Sci-Fi Channel now airing professional wrestling and Cartoon Network's failed efforts to try molding itself into a tween-oriented channel like Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

Network executives seem to think folks will like having multiple channels of what are essentially the same tiresome theme or demographic they are aiming for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Modern man is being adequately served. If they wanted to take care of an underserved demographic, they'd gear their channel towards prehistoric man. Us cavemen wanna watch TV too.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
So 12 hours of cops then 12 hours of infomercials
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

same thing as usual then?

So tired of niche channels all eventually showing the same crap as every other mainstream channel. This is why cable is dying!
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

same thing as usual then?

So tired of niche channels all eventually showing the same crap as every other mainstream channel. This is why cable is dying!
Cable is dying? Tell that to AMC, HBO, TNT and other networks offering original programming. While themed networks have been going away this has been a pretty great time for Cable when it comes to offering quality shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

I foresee reruns of The Man Show with Adam and Jimmy sprinkled throughout as well.

I'll miss the E3 coverage the most. That's the only reason I tuned in.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...There is a vastly under-served audience in cable TV — today's modern man...

Err... there are lots of channels that serve men with entertainment. There are channels that show food, channels that show cars, channels that show DIY, channels that show guns, channels that show sports, channels that show "women stuff" that some men actually watch, and there are pay-per-view pRon channels for their women aspect.

You're offering them....? What? You're just taking away the tech-men's fling, nothing more. You're non-serving the geek-dom men, congratz.

...and honestly, I haven't liked the channel since it ceased to be TechTV.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
I wish I could choose to not have these channels on my cable package, and receive a refund for it. I wish they had a la carte plans in series of 25 at a time, or something, there's only so many normal cable channels I actually need. I think modern 24-50 year old man is being overserved, honestly. History? Nope, it's the "Selling/buying shit channel". Travel? "Obese man eats shit channel". Discovery is the Mike Rowe X-TREME channel. And then there's Speed, Velocity, Rednecks shooting things, an entire channel devoted to car auctions, an entire channel about cops and poor angry people in Detroit, and it goes on.

At least nerdom can still get good movies made in Hollywood.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
...and honestly, I haven't liked the channel since it ceased to be TechTV.
Before the merger, neither TechTV nor G4 reached enough homes to be viable. Maybe had TechTV been in the better position we could've avoided this mess, but sadly G4 was the bigger of the two.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
the internet killed tech TV and G4

just like video killed the radio star

people used to watch siskel and ebert
now they just click on yahoo movies to read about other people's opinions

I quit watching G4 TV long ago because I hate cops and that trashy dating show. All my anime is online, I only turn the TV on to watch food network.

back then, when I had nothing to do in the afternoons I would just let startrek voyager reruns play, but I think that was spike TV>
or late at night FMA would play twice on cartoon network.

remember, when G4 was popular was when people had started making the move to DSL and broadband
now, bandwidth is very cheap
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Before the merger, neither TechTV nor G4 reached enough homes to be viable. Maybe had TechTV been in the better position we could've avoided this mess, but sadly G4 was the bigger of the two.

TechTV was available to more homes, but G4 was owned by Comcast, and therefore had the capital for the acquisition of TechTV (whose owner had been shopping for a buyer).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
Esquire?!? I... I did not see that coming. I'm not surprised that G4 has been eaten, that I knew was bound to happen... but I didn't see it going down like this.

I can't imagine that their program will change in any way that appeals to me. It doesn't really change anything then; all it means is that I'll not watch even harder.

Sailor S wrote:
Modern man is being adequately served. If they wanted to take care of an underserved demographic, they'd gear their channel towards prehistoric man. Us cavemen wanna watch TV too.

Hey now, somebody already mentioned SpikeTV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2