• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 3 Teens Arrested for Shoplifting 1st 57 One Piece Volumes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
They probably thought, "I can get it for free online, why not the physical copies too? After all, I'm entitled to it and don't need to pay." <<
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I know if I ever did anything like that, I don't think would ever gain the full trust of any of my friends or family or co-workers.

It's times like this, I am glad a adult. Also, I heard in Japan, if you have a police record, it significantly lowers the chance of you getting a elite, top of the line job, but I could be off base.
cche7

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
F*cking dumba$$. That's what they get for stealing Mad
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
@Kazemon15 Don't drag unrelated online piracy into this.

On a related note, how'd they think they were going to get away with this? Walking out with 57 books is kind of obvious, since few people buy that many at one time.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
That's what they get for stealing. Real manga fans support their authors!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
That's surprisingly organized. They took the time to get just one copy of each volume? You'd expect them to just dump a bunch in a basket and try to leave, not painstakingly take each issue.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not-So-Free Comic Book Day, Japan Edition

That made me laugh.

But seriously, 57 books? And in the baskets too. I don't even know how they could possibly think of getting away unnoticed.
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
haha i haven't laughed in an anime news network article in awhile.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I gotta admit, I'm kind of impressed. Not that I'm saying stealing is good, or what they did is good, that's just wrong and they should be caught, but 57 volumes is kind of impressive...

Ignoring that though, D:< Buy the damn volumes a-holes!!
Even I buy the Japanese volumes, and Lord knows finding a shop that has almost Japanese One Piece volumes in America isn't a piece of cake.

Also, the article description made me laugh xD
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
That's surprisingly organized. They took the time to get just one copy of each volume? You'd expect them to just dump a bunch in a basket and try to leave, not painstakingly take each issue.

I wonder if would try to sell 1-57 on Yahoo Auctions or something for some quick cash. I'm not sure how much such an auction would net them though, since it seems that none of the volumes are out of print or anything. So I guess it's possible they wanted to read it...

Still though, a very dumb thing to do.
coral422

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Don't be so harsh people, they're just keeping the pirate spirit alive, that's all
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
@Kazemon15 Don't drag unrelated online piracy into this.
Same "the rules don't apply to me" attitude at work in both, you just don't want to admit it.

It's easier to think of digital theft as being totally different from physical theft because people tell themselves they're completely different things. As digital property increases in value and as more and more products become digital only (the dream of so many who mistakenly believe that'll mean more free and easy stuff for them) you'll find society and the law both greatly increasing the severity of punishment for stealing digital. You see, a digital file is just as much property under the law as a manga volume is, it's just that right now the physical copies are much more important and worth more, so the enforcement effort is low.

When digital reaches parity with physical, you'll see just how serious stealing it becomes. You'll notice that a few years ago, hearing about anyone being caught or prosecuted was almost unheard of. Now cases are popping up more often. Soon you'll hear about then all the time until the novely wears off and they start going unreported. (By then though, people will know they're common place.)

For now though, just keep pretending it's all just a click away and no one cares! Keep pretending that there's no record of anything you do online and no one's paying any attention to you! I'm sure it'll stay this way forever! Wink

Covnam wrote:
If you want to succeed at stealing, the best way to do it is just brazenly act like you're doing nothing wrong. If the security guard hadn't noticed they weren't going through the checkout, they'd have gotten away without a hitch because they weren't attracting any attention before then.

One of my professors had a great story about a jewelry shop getting robbed. A guy just walked in, picked up a display full of watches and walked right back out, acting like he wasn't doing anything wrong. The clerk figured he was supposed to be moving it because who'd steal something in broad daylight in front of everyone like that? (That professor used to work as an insurance claim investigator so he had several interesting stories like that.)

Heck some thugs in my home town drove up to a piece of property my family is renting out and stole the air conditioner. Not a window unit either, a big freaking box for cooling a small house. Just parked, ripped it up and drove away. The police were totally useless too and now with gas prices way up, they're cutting back on patrols so they'll be extra useless. Rolling Eyes

Took about a years worth of rent to replace it too.

Seriously, brazen audacity works wonders. Put on a lab coat, carry a clipboard and just pretend your a doctor. Or drop by your local police station and work a shift for fun. It's been done before and will probably be done again.

As long as you conform to what people expect to see and don't deviate too far from that expectation, you can do all kinds of things and get away with it initially. It's kinda like lip syncing.

What's truly ridculous is it probably wouldn't have taken them that long to save the money to buy them anyway. Two of them at least had jobs. Now they've got shame and a record! Good job! Laughing

Stupid teenagers. (God do I feel like an old man typing that!)
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When digital reaches parity with physical, you'll see just how serious stealing it becomes.

I doubt you will be seeing that type of parity in the Japanese manga industry in your lifetime. I recall hearing this years ago before iTunes and before Napster went legit. It sounded like smoke being blown up my ass then and it sounds the same way now.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
57 volumes?! 'Boys, be ambitious'... I guess.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
Daaamn...57 books. That's a lot to carry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5