• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Exorcist (TV + movie).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: Blue Exorcist (TV)
Movie 01: Blue Exorcist (movie)
Season 02: Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga (TV)
Season 03: Blue Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati Saga (TV)
Season 04: Blue Exorcist: At the End of the Snow Saga (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 30 volumes, by Kazue Kato)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Season 01: A-1 Pictures
Movie 01: A-1 Pictures
Season 02: A-1 Pictures
Season 03: Studio VOLN
Season 04: Pending

Genres: action, comedy, drama, supernatural

Themes: conspiracy, demons, exorcism, magical creatures, mythology, school, sorcery, superpowers, transformations

Plot Summary: Humans live in the world of Assiah, demons in Gehenna. The two dimensions are not meant to interfere with each other, but demons still possess creatures in Assiah in spite of this. The humans who can fight these demons are known as exorcists.

Rin Okumura is a boy who bears the curse of being Satan's illegitimate son. His foster father sacrificed himself to save him from demons. To avenge his foster father's death as well as to prove himself, Rin decides to follow the path of an exorcist.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 17, 2011 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Movie 01: December 24, 2012 (Monday)
Available on: Pending

Season 02: January 6, 2017 (Friday)

Season 03: January 6, 2024 (Saturday)

Season 04: October 2024

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 25 episodes
Movie 01: 90 minutes
Season 02: 12 episodes
Season 03: 12 episodes
Season 04: Pending

Total: 39 episodes
----------------------------------

My vague expectations certainly didn't reach this level. The visuals are pretty good, the characters interesting, and the set-up awesome. Unlike most stuff that try to show demons from a sort of scientific perspective (D. Gray Man, which turned out very very weird with mediocre, ugly, and laughable demons), this one is right out there with the kind of demons we've been taught by our glorious brainwashers best known as the catholic church. In other words, it has the potential for scary scenes.

Now, I hope it doesn't turn into a demon hunt of the week (very fighting-shonen like). I'd rather see more stuff involving a minimum amount of drama like the one with the girl from this episode (but I'd rather have the case solved). Not episodic, but I'd love if it could pull one a la DTB with 2-3 episode arcs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
It was okay. I was annoyed by the complete lack of any hot chicks in this episode. Made it feel like a real sausage factory. There will be hot chicks eventually, right?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Rin = Chinese Electric Batman (The early days), that was the comparison I saw on another forum.

Cool episode, nothing really peaked my interesting, but I've heard many good things about the manga so I'm expecting it to be decent.
swienke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It was okay. I was annoyed by the complete lack of any hot chicks in this episode. Made it feel like a real sausage factory. There will be hot chicks eventually, right?

Coming from you, this comment doesn't really surprise me, although it certainly does amuse me. Laughing

But yes, there will be hot chicks. Shura in particular is very much based on Yoko from TTGL, so you'll get to see plenty of skimpy bikini tops from her once she shows up.

Anyway, I really loved this episode. Great pacing, high quality animation and voice-acting, and a good story. I'm super pleased that they didn't try and include spoiler[Father Fujimoto's death] in this episode like I was originally afraid of: pushing it back an episode really gave this one some room to breath and kept it from getting too rushed.

At this point, I'm just hoping that this doesn't turn into the last Shonen anime adaptation that I was super excited for but that turned out horribly disappointing (cough*Nurarihyon No Mago*cough). So far so good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Must. Remember. Not. To. Click. On. Spoiler. Tags.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
swienke wrote:

Anyway, I really loved this episode. Great pacing, high quality animation and voice-acting, and a good story. I'm super pleased that they didn't try and include spoiler[Father Fujimoto's death] in this episode like I was originally afraid of: pushing it back an episode really gave this one some room to breath and kept it from getting too rushed.

At this point, I'm just hoping that this doesn't turn into the last Shonen anime adaptation that I was super excited for but that turned out horribly disappointing (cough*Nurarihyon No Mago*cough). So far so good.

Apparently people liked Nurarihyon No Mago.

Anyhow, the first episode was dull hence the little to no posts in two days. They needed to kill him. Nothing eye dropping or catchy occurred in the first episode. That's a big no no. You probably think that way because ur one of the few who obviously read the manga and know how interesting Blue Exorcist is. If I were a casual anime viewer I'd just pass Blue Exorcists as ur typical action flick (which it may very well be, but then again, the people who made DTB are producing this). Clearly, they are trying to steal people from the Naruto/Bleach/One Piece/Fairy Tail (my personal fav out of the 4) fan base. So, if you don't like mainstream anime, or cheap imitations, don't bother giving this anime a chance. Yes, I can validate that claim from watching the first episode.

I'll watch it anyway.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
They definitely could have gotten the full first chapter of the manga into the episode, but I liked the slice of life stuff they added to the beginning to give a more rounded view of the character. So many anime could benefit from having hour-long premiers (as they're usually based on manga with double-sized first chapters anyways).

Quote:
Made it feel like a real sausage factory. There will be hot chicks eventually, right?

Yeah, the Yoko character will be in, but it does take a while (probably 20 chapters in). Well before that they'll add a character a bit like Hagu from Honey and Clover, and a sort of bossy chick, but she has weird eyebrows.
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Clearly, they are trying to steal people from the Naruto/Bleach/One Piece/Fairy Tail (my personal favorite out of the 4) fan base. So, if you don't like mainstream anime, or cheap imitations, don't bother giving this anime a chance. Yes, I can validate that claim from watching the first episode.

I'll have to disagree here. Although this series is indisputably shonen, it does all of the little things just a little bit better than most of its brethren, and when you add all of those little improvements up it makes a big difference. I don't read One Piece, so I can't really compare it to that, but it has better pacing than the other three series you mentioned, more character development (and more realistic character development at that), and a better sense of impending consequences. It still sticks to most of the standard shonen tropes, but it treats them with just a little more gravitas and respect for how they intersect with reality.

I've heard some other anime blogs mention it too, but the quality and emotional honesty of it reminds me more of the early parts of Fullmetal Alchemist than any of the Big 4, although it's not at that level yet. So I'd say that if people absolutely HATE shonen with a fiery passion, don't watch it, but that everyone else should at least give the series a chance. They might be surprised.

Ohoni wrote:
Yeah, the Yoko character will be in, but it does take a while (probably 20 chapters in). Well before that they'll add a character a bit like Hagu from Honey and Clover, and a sort of bossy chick, but she has weird eyebrows.

Shura actually is introduced in Ch.9, so I'm assuming she'll show up in the anime somewhere between Ep.8 and Ep. 12. But yeah, Kamiki's eyebrows are hilarious.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry, I'd mean "20 episodes in", not chapters there. It could be earlier though, I suppose, the trick is that AE chapters are larger than most series since it's a monthly manga, so I would expect them to get more episodes out of each chapter.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
This was one of the shows I was reasonably looking forward to, and based on what I thought of the first episode, it is fitting my expectations. A dark powered main character can be fun, and the main character here might be some fun, I like how he is voiced by Accelerator's voice actor, if the characters have any simularities I will be happy.

Really Blood- you are complaining of lack of hot chicks, it is a shounen, it is meant to be guys fighting and stuff. What you expecting: women in bikinis swing from the sky? magical clothes bursting into ribbons? Pantyless sword haird girl? Big breasted demongirl riding a giant bird thing? Silly that is not shounen, it has to be filled with MEN.

Anyway I look forward to see more, and I wish I did not click on that spoiler.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Really Blood- you are complaining of lack of hot chicks, it is a shounen, it is meant to be guys fighting and stuff. What you expecting: women in bikinis swing from the sky? magical clothes bursting into ribbons? Pantyless sword haird girl? Big breasted demongirl riding a giant bird thing? Silly that is not shounen, it has to be filled with MEN.

Hey, do you think you are dealing with a noob, here? I happen to know that Bleach has got eye candy and Fairy Tail is wall-to-wall hot chicks. Don't pull that shounen card on me, buddy! And considering the kind of show Blue Exorcist is, big-breasted demongirls riding giant bird things would be TOTALLY organic to the material.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the only shonen I can think of (out of the most popular) without hot chicks is Naruto for the most part. One Piece has two in the main cast (it's hard to tell apart main characters in One Piece besides the main crew, so I'll just add Boa Hancock as the second wave of main characters, which makes it 3... plus Vivi), Bleach has a few minor characters and one major (whom I don't find particularly appealing), and Fairy Fail has two in the main cast besides most the female minor characters are robust up there.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Anyhow, the first episode was dull hence the little to no posts in two days. spoiler[They needed to kill him.]

Uh, what? That's a pretty nonchalant disclosure of what sounds like an enormous spoiler. I haven't read the manga, and I really enjoyed the first episode, so now that I know this, I feel like whatever event that's going to happen in the coming episodes isn't going to be as powerful as it would have been if I didn't know what you just divulged. You could have had the decency to hide it in a spoiler tag.

Ugh.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Beh, if you've read the spoiler tag, it's about episode TWO, and it was in chapter ONE of the manga, so yeah, it's a spoiler, but it'll be over and history before you know it. Don't read spoiler tags if you don't want spoilers. PS, in Spider-Man, spoiler[Uncle Ben dies.]
Razzuel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Beh, if you've read the spoiler tag, it's about episode TWO, and it was in chapter ONE of the manga, so yeah, it's a spoiler, but it'll be over and history before you know it. Don't read spoiler tags if you don't want spoilers. PS, in Spider-Man, spoiler[Uncle Ben dies.]

If you cross checked his post with my qoute, you would have noticed that the original post isn't spoiler tagged. I tagged the spoiler in my quote so as not to propagate the spoiler untagged throughout the thread. I also noticed that the ANN synopsis for the show also mentions the spoiler, so now I understand that's it's simply the catalyst for the premise of the show. However, that still doesn't excuse the fact that knowing that spoiler[a character dies before their death occurs] severely diminishes the chances for an emotional response.

Yeah, I'll live with it, and being spoiled doesn't always ruin the moment (such as my experience with Tokyo Magnitude — stupid Google image search), but it would have been nice to experience it without prior knowledge — first impressions are quite important.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8