• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Warner Presents Pacific Rim's del Toro With Madoka Magica Films

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jet_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
A live-action Madoka Magica wouldn't work because Yuuki Aoi is the only one who can do Madoka.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love del Toro.

The man's made some decent movies (and a really great one, in the form of Pan's Labyrinth), and he's an old school anime fan to boot. Pacific Rim was a fun watch, and personally I cannot wait to see what he does with Monster.

Not sure that Madoka would lend itself that well to live action (because, really, do any magical girl anime work live action? The costumes and special effects are a challenge, right off the bat), but if anyone were to attempt it, I think del Toro could find a way to make it work. Do I sense a project for 2016? Wink

Btw, the Madoka set is gorgeous. I've been drooling over mine the past week or so. Really curious to see what sort of package we get for the third movie, since it will have to be a separate set!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, I am curious what a Hollywood produced live-action magical girl movie would look like.
jet_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
Gotta love del Toro.

The man's made some decent movies (and a really great one, in the form of Pan's Labyrinth), and he's an old school anime fan to boot. Pacific Rim was a fun watch, and personally I cannot wait to see what he does with Monster.

Not sure that Madoka would lend itself that well to live action (because, really, do any magical girl anime work live action? The costumes and special effects are a challenge, right off the bat), but if anyone were to attempt it, I think del Toro could find a way to make it work. Do I sense a project for 2016? Wink

Btw, the Madoka set is gorgeous. I've been drooling over mine the past week or so. Really curious to see what sort of package we get for the third movie, since it will have to be a separate set!

Hollywood have the abilities to make magical girl costumes work in live-action like they do in anime, I think.
Use of the motion-capture animation technologies that Cameron worked on, perfected and used in Avatar can come to great use when it comes to live-action magical girl shows/movies.
Transformations, attacks and clothes/skirt movement, for example.
Beamspam can be easily done with vfx and you can't doubt that modern CGI is so flawless that the monsters/witches/whatever would look great.

But then again, I have no clue what I'm typing, so yeah.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Del Toro is the only guy that in my book can make an Anime film and do it right Smile iv enjoyed all most all of his films.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
But if he's gonna do an anime film, it should be Attack on Titan. I know Japan has a live action film in the works, but really its something that needs the sort of ridiculous budget that only Hollywood can provide.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
It doesn't really have a plot. Again, I can back that up.

You don't know what a 'plot' is, how can you back that up?
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
inb4 dtm42 hears somebody diss Madoka.

Seriously though, I think Madoka could be a good Hollywood movie if they gave it an R rating, and had a good CGI budget for the witches. Not sure if a puppet or a CGI version of Kyubey would be better though.

Given how Madoka itself is influenced by Faust, I think it would be one of the easier ones to Westernize. But yeah, it needs an R rating because of scenes like spoiler[Mami having her head eaten by a witch.].

I hope that Hollywood would turn the subtext between Madoka and Homura into text though.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Ya know, I am curious what a Hollywood produced live-action magical girl movie would look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODz7ankdTHw

Shocked
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
We don't really need to fight about this stuff. He had a bad experience and/or different expectations for a very-much hyped-up anime, and there's nothing "wrong" with his opinion, even if it sounds extreme.

YamadaKun wrote:
I'm not trolling. A troll engages with conversations for the sole purpose of inciting negative responses from others within the conversation. Madoka is overrated. That is not trolling. That's a fact. Madoka is not really that artsy. That's my opinion, but I can back up that opinion. It doesn't really have a plot. Again, I can back that up. The voice acting is annoying. Subjective. How am I trolling again, Jet boy?

The problem with the word "overrated" is that... it can't be taken as a "fact." People around the world have regarded the series as great, and if a group of people don't like it for legit reasons, that doesn't mean something is "overrated." It just means your expectations were different from everyone else's. Not better. Not worse. Just different. And nothing's perfect, nor can anything appeal to everyone. "Overrated" can be taken as "everyone likes it for what it is, but I don't see why they like it."

As for Madoka being "artsy" or not, that IS your opinion. And art is all subjective. I found Madoka to be "artsy" not only because of InuCurry's contributions or SHAFT's visual style, but because of the directing of the scenes and how different the series was in general. It's definitely "artsy" in some way, even if it doesn't seem so to you.

Whether or not it has a plot is different, though... It certainly has a plot. The only things that DON'T have a plot are things that don't even need to rely on a plot. Whether or not it's a "good" plot, however, depends on... well, that can be subjective, too. For me, the plot serves its purpose if it either works as entertainment, gives a message properly, or gives me something else to walk away with. Madoka is one of the best examples of that for me and I found it to have one of the best plots, characters, messages, and organization of it all that I've seen in my 16+ years of watching anime.

And so on. Your opinion isn't worthless just because a lot of us disagree. In fact, it can be valuable BECAUSE we find it hard to understand. Thus, I want to ask you. From what position do you find Madoka to not be that great? Like, what specific reasoning do you have to dislike the anime, and what specific examples/backup can you give? Your experience with it is your experience, so I respect your views, regardless of whether or not I agree or even understand them.
Jave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a publicity stunt to get people to go see his movie in Japan by associating him up with a popular anime like Madoka Laughing
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Madoka has no plot?

Huh?

It's probably one of the better plotted recent anime. Pretty much every piece of the show fits together and works towards something. It's a damn good show. It's not overrated. It is good and even if it was overrated that still wouldn't mean it's bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, one thing that depresses me the most about Madoka Magica is that due to being anime, it will never have mainstream appeal here that it deserves. I honestly find the series to be one of the greatest works of art I have ever witnessed. Madoka Magica is actually at the top of the list of "Anime I would make live-action if I had the connections and money".

Last edited by Ryu Shoji on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
archangelunder7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
inb4 dtm42 hears somebody diss Madoka.

Seriously though, I think Madoka could be a good Hollywood movie if they gave it an R rating, and had a good CGI budget for the witches. Not sure if a puppet or a CGI version of Kyubey would be better though.

Given how Madoka itself is influenced by Faust, I think it would be one of the easier ones to Westernize. But yeah, it needs an R rating because of scenes like spoiler[Mami having her head eaten by a witch.].

I hope that Hollywood would turn the subtext between Madoka and Homura into text though.

An R rating would be an unrealistic expectation.

Think about it; we're talking about a show about a 14 year old girl in a fluffy pink dress who uses magic to fight witches...

Setting aside that not being the key focus of the show itself, it's the most obvious image associated with Madoka Magica.

Now, lets say I'm an every day movie goer, at the cinema wanting to see a movie. My choices are Wolverine 3- with lots of grunting, sweating, adamantium claws and a token good looking female actress who probably wears tight leather...

Or...

Something that (lets be honest) at first glance looks like Hanna Montanna in the land of Strawberry Shortcake... Rated R.

Result: no one who hasn't already seen Madoka Magica will see the live action version; it's rated too high for kids to go see and looks too childish (at first glance) for average adult movie goers to want to go see it.

It'll end up a commercial flop. Which is what the producers will think.

If it ends up being made for the widest possible audience, it might at least make what it cost to make back at the box office... Which is what the producers really want.

Average people might like it, but Madoka fans (like you and me) wont.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Why are we even taking the madoka-movie seriously ?

it is obviously a small publicity stunt to sell a few more madoka movies/make people go see pacific rim, del toro has no intention to make a madoak movie at all; it would be a good achievemetn and something ncie if the actually watches the movies and comments about them in other interview.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5