• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Upcoming Manga Launches [2006-03-16]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
We probably not gonna see these series on the shelves for another year. >_>
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Uhh, they all come out in June and July.

Since posting that, we've actually come up with release dates for a lot more of them (the Dark Horse titles all have release dates), that we'll be entering shortly.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Dang! I couldn't believe Dark Horse has licensed Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service so fast! Shocked It's one of those niched masterpieces; I've never imagined a present-day supernatural manga with dark humor could be so well-written.

By the way, be prepared for another fight with Japanese right wing extremists; it has touched not only one, but two taboos: spoiler[the Nanking Massacre, and the notorious Unit 731]. I wonder why Eiji Ohtsuka hasn't been thrown rocks upon like Hiroshi Motomiya had been. Perhaps due to Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service mentioned them much less directly than Kuni ga Moeru did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ztarr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Please stop with the "OEL" lable

Please
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Exorcisms and Pogo Sticks? WTF... Confused
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ztarr wrote:
Please stop with the "OEL" lable

Please

And what's so wrong about it? What's so incredibly, gut-wrenchingly offensive about calling non-manga manga "OEL" that you just HAVE to plead for ANN to AGAIN change the name it uses to refer to it?

Honestly, call it Amerimanga and someone complains. Call it manga and someone complains. Call it Originally-English-Language and someone complains. So what DO we call it, o great Master of Political Comic Books Correctness?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Adam Arnold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Ztarr, ANN isn't obligated to even mention OEL/World Manga (they use both terms here). Why are you complaining about something like this when they actually report on it?

Heck, Pata who coined the "OEL" term even writes for ANN. I think it's a non-issue at this point. It's a dead horse...stop trying to split hairs over it.

--------------

Anyway...

That said...Seven Seas' release of Earthsong Vol. 1 covers the first three chapters of the color webcomic and also includes over omake bits from Lady Yates. Since the 3 webcomics are creator owned, we've tank a less hands-on approach with their release and only stepped in when things like the covers needed to be refined. The actual contents have remained true to the creators vision for their webcomics.
gynocrat_rex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
First, about the news: I to was surprised to see Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service on here due to the Kuni controversy.

As for the rest of this thread...Good Lord!

Quote:
So what DO we call it, o great Master of Political Comic Books Correctness?

oH OH OH...I know. Instead of typing the incredibly easy OEL, I think you should type Unlicensed Domestic Manga Release. Shocked

Quote:
ANN isn't obligated to even mention OEL/World Manga

Of course they are! How else will the purists be able to avoid catching the evil OEL cooties they might get by accidently pulling and OEL book off the shelf and thumbing through it?

Quote:
Exorcisms and Pogo Sticks? WTF...

Come on. They're reporting an OEL release from an American publisher. Why don't you just type what you really want to? OMG WTF...is that Yaoi? Ew... This may not be your intent at all Izlude, but it sure comes off that way in your text.

Laughing
Sorry to offend anyone, but man--this thread wandered far from home.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1