• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vampire Knight Guilty DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortigernus

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
I agreed with most what you said, except the dub.

I find well done and satisfactory.
As a dub-fan, I usually dont even bother to check out the original lang. track, if i know the cast is OK.

Vic Mignogna and Mela Lee? Sign me up. Very Happy
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
After having seen the first batch of 13 episodes - but acknowledging that based on my knowledge of the manga the best material for most of the characters won't come until Guilty - the dub is hit-and-miss with me, with some of the VAs doing better than others. I've found Vic Mignogna to range from great to servicable, and in my opinion his Zero has been one of the times when he's fantastic so far, perfectly mixing his affection for his loved ones and understandable bitterness over his situation. I also think Troy Baker's making a great Kain.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
Yes, it's true the show doesn't really get going till the end of the first season and the beginning of Guilty. But even before then, it had the beginnings of an intriquing plot. What's the story behind Zero's tragedy? Why was little Yuuki left alone in snowstorm without any memory of her past? What is her connection to Kaname and why he is so obsessed with her?

Of course, if you go into this with the "this is just another vampire romance about a human girl and the vampires who love her" attitude then you'll miss it. As for the dub, it could be better but I wouldn't say it's horrible. Sometimes Zero sounds a bit too much liked Ed from Fullmetal and maybe it's the correct pronunciation, but I can't stand how Kaname's name is spoken. It sounds like they're calling him "economy".
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
In a way, Mela Lee's voice sorta acts how Brittany Karbowski served for Ayu from Kanon; Yui's voice... is TOO high pitched! It works mostly as shock value but it's too... sugary.

Mela grounds the character rather nicely, not unlike how she performed in When They Cry. Although Mai Nakahara KNOWS how to be a crazy psychopath(Katanagatari, "wink!" "wink!")
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
It's always nice to see a good review out there, but I have to question this part:

Quote:
is not and never will be high art.

Uh ... yeah, but it's not trying to be. And most anime isn't. I don't exactly see how this is a detriment worth noting as a major negative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1