• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scrapped Princess (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blizeH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:53 am Reply with quote

Scrapped Princess (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, science fiction
Themes: post-apocalyptic

Plot Summary: Pacifica Casull is the most feared and hated person by the followers of the God Mauser. Known as the Scrapped Princess, she is the poison that will destroy the world. To avoid being killed by the zealots of Mauser, Pacifica and her adoptive brother and sister leave the village of Manhurin. Her brother, Shannon, is an expert with the sword while Racquel is proficient with magic. At every step of the way, however, someone is constantly trying to kill Pacifica, hoping to somehow avert the catastrophe that is supposed to befall the world on her 16th birthday.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Just watched this; wow, it's absolutely incredible! Right up there with Berserk as one of my favourite animes, or indeed favourite TV episodes of all time, I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

** Below this line is rather spoilertastic **

spoiler[The characters were all excellent, the show had charm in abundance and it's one of the rare occasions where I actually felt for most of the characters, even Fulle who merely played a bit-part in the overall storyline had a fantastic and emotional death scene, although the old cliched 'dying slowly by arrows in abundance' thing always goes down well with me, there's just something about it that makes you really feel for the character.

There was so much I wanted to discuss whilst watching it, but my mind's blank at the moment, but I'll finish by commenting how awfully crushing the end of the pen-ultimate episode was. I was watching it thinking "this is great, there's no way this can turn out to be a sad ending, hurrah! at least an anime with a happy ending" - and then bam! I should of known it was too good to be true, maybe I should of expected it, but I didn't, and that just made it so much more harrowing. Between the end of the pen-ultimate episode and the final episode there was a horrible feeling that everything had gone horribly wrong, of course it picked back up again which was great, but it was an emotional roller-coaster and I thought they scripted it excellently.]

Fantastic.

Last edited by blizeH on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Use actual spoilet tags next time, not just some "spoiler's below" line in your post. The tag is right inside your message box at the top right if you didn't know. You could at least mention in the title there's spoilers. Some of us, like me who came here to get a feeling for the show, haven't seen it and you could ruin it for more people. Thanks
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Psycho, I suggest editing your post and adding spoiler tags or at least mentioning there's spoilers in the title.

After seeing the first volume of this series I was prepared for a pretty generic fantasy experience. By the time I finished the second volume though I could tell that this was obviously going a different way and in the end, I agree, I loved it.

I loved the ups and downs and the fact it was spoiler[able to pull off a happy ending without making it seem contrived and out place. Not everything ended perfectly and not everyone made it but they still prevailed in the end. I think this is a series that could have fallen in to the typical "sad endings are meaningful" trap and ended it poorly and needlessly, but they didn't and I really appreciated that]. It really had its ups and downs but they flowed so well and didn't feel abrupt, and on top of that the story really had some interesting twists and turns that kept it from getting stale. This was one of the more surprising anime I've seen in recent years, I was not expecting it to be as good as it was.

Last edited by Keonyn on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I agree with Psycho, I suggest editing your post and adding spoiler tags or at least mentioning there's spoilers in the title.

After seeing the first volume of this series I was prepared for a pretty generic fantasy experience. By the time I finished the second volume though I could tell that this was obviously going a different way and in the end, I agree, I loved it.

I loved the ups and downs and the fact it was
Quote:
able to pull off a happy ending without making it seem contrived and out place. Not everything ended perfectly and not everyone made it but they still prevailed in the end. I think this is a series that could have fallen in to the typical "sad endings are meaningful" trap and ended it poorly and needlessly, but they didn't and I really appreciated that
. It really had its ups and downs but they flowed so well and didn't feel abrupt, and on top of that the story really had some interesting twists and turns that kept it from getting stale. This was one of the more surprising anime I've seen in recent years, I was not expecting it to be as good as it was.

Worth picking up then I take it? I had heard something that threw me off til now from checking it out past simple clips and previews. spoiler[I heard in the end you find out the world is fake or some sci-fi alien world kinda deal. Considering it's a fantasy anime primarily that kinda threw me off. Is it accurate or was that just bs I heard?]

BTW BlizeH, that's how you spoiler tag properly in case you didn't know.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Messed up my own spoiler tags, haha, how ironic. May want to fix it in your quote as well. I must have hit quote instead of spoiler. It is worth picking up though, yes, as long as that's your style. I guess I'd say if you like anime along the lines of FMA or Escaflowne then Scrapped Princess would probably be a good pick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Scrapped Princess is that the majority of anime fans I've come across don't really care for it that much and I simply can't figure out why. I love it and it is one of my favorites but people, especially FMA fans, seem to regard it as a knock-off of Fullmetal Alchemist or it just another adventure anime. I think lots of new anime fans don't really take the time to really "dig deep" into the plot of Scrapped Princess as it is sometimes misleading, really picks up later in the show, or can just be easily missed. Even if that's the case the basic storyline, artwork and characters themselves are all fantastic and worth the viewing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

Worth picking up then I take it? I had heard something that threw me off til now from checking it out past simple clips and previews. spoiler[I heard in the end you find out the world is fake or some sci-fi alien world kinda deal. Considering it's a fantasy anime primarily that kinda threw me off. Is it accurate or was that just bs I heard?]

That's not really accurate but its not total BS either, just a misunderstanding of what happened or people passing on information incorrectly. It's not accurate, but it gives you an idea of the major plot twist later in the series.
bahumut75

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

I'd say its worth picking up. I actually only just started on this myself, and the only other fantasy-esc show I've seen was FMA. Even though I'm only like 8 or 9 episodes in so far, I'm already wondering why I haven't bothered to check out more fantasy titles :p I haven't exactly seen any of these plot twists yet, and so far I wouldn't praise it as the best thing ever, but I am certainly enjoying it alot, and thats really all the judgement I can pass on something I haven't finished.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry about that part too much, that is similar to what happenes but not exactly. Either way, it's done quite well so it really doesn't seem that out place. spoiler[They are right in that it isn't entirely a fantasy anime, but in a sense it sort of is. The times they are living in are basically fantasy as we know it, there's just a little more to it than that.]
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Utena, Evangelion and the second half of Twelve Kingdoms -mainly because I wanted to see a conclusion to Tai arc Crying or Very sad- Scrapped Princess was the only anime that I was in a marathon to see how it ends. I first ordered the first volume to see if the series worth my time and I ended up ordering the rest right after I was done with it.

What made this one end on my list of my favorite animes of all time was of how well the story was told and that it has a bit of everything besides the political drama, the cast was also one of my favorites -who just can't love Raquel or get a laugh from Leo's chivalrous endeavors?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
The thing about Scrapped Princess is that the majority of anime fans I've come across don't really care for it that much and I simply can't figure out why. I love it and it is one of my favorites but people, especially FMA fans, seem to regard it as a knock-off of Fullmetal Alchemist or it just another adventure anime. I think lots of new anime fans don't really take the time to really "dig deep" into the plot of Scrapped Princess as it is sometimes misleading, really picks up later in the show, or can just be easily missed. Even if that's the case the basic storyline, artwork and characters themselves are all fantastic and worth the viewing.

Scrapped Princess was actually wrapping up on Japanese TV at the same time Fullmetal Alchemist was starting, but because of a delay in it getting licensed it had the misfortune to start coming out in the States after FMA had been on TV over here for a few weeks. I always felt that drew attention away from it. Personally, I was intrigued enough by the concept to go out of my way to check out the first few episodes at a 'con in '03, and it hooked me enough that it was the first series I ever watched completely in as-they're-released fansubs. Still one of my favorite series, and Pacifica is one of my all-time-favorite anime heroines.

Also has one of my all-time favorite quotes from an anime (spoken by Shannon in episode 19, I think): "What is the worth of this world if my little sister can't live in it?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Love Scrapped Princess. I saw it in my anime club a year or two ago, and immediately bought it by volume when it came out. One of the best fantasy series arround with a great cast, cool action, great music, and well it's animated very well by Bones.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Scrapped Princess was actually wrapping up on Japanese TV at the same time Fullmetal Alchemist was starting, but because of a delay in it getting licensed it had the misfortune to start coming out in the States after FMA had been on TV over here for a few weeks. I always felt that drew attention away from it. Personally, I was intrigued enough by the concept to go out of my way to check out the first few episodes at a 'con in '03, and it hooked me enough that it was the first series I ever watched completely in as-they're-released fansubs. Still one of my favorite series, and Pacifica is one of my all-time-favorite anime heroines.

I thought that series was very good, and I can't wait for novel to be release by Tokyo pop. As for it being releaase in the shadow of FMA, I have to agree where as with FMA there was some buzz about the series as it was coming out in the US, Scrapped Princess was just released.....that every month or so there would be a new volume, but it never felt like there were trailer or anything for it.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Any news on a boxset? I like this series, and I wasn't fanatical about it... but it's one of those series where I could completely, 100%, see why someone would feel that way. As such, I'm too cheap right now to pick up the singles; but if there's an even moderately cheaper box set...... the odds may just tip a bit. Rolling Eyes
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
This was a series I really liked as well... without spoilers, I'd say that it started where I expected, it ended as I expected, but the path it took to get there went places I'd never imagined it going!

On a side note, I love all the figures that came with the limited releases... it was nice to get a couple for less-important characters (the 2nd tier doesn't always get the merchandising I'd like to see.) Although the foot-tall Pacifica that came with vol. 1 is a real pain to get stood up well... the way she's twisted makes it hard to get the angle right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4