• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment Wants Lupin Cosplay Photos

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
That better not be all they're putting on there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, are they so strapped for cash that they can't use something else as DVD extras instead of cosplay photos?

This does not inspire confidence in the release.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it might be. I just checked it out at thier site and under, Special DVD Features, It just has: Digitally remastered letterbox/Japanese and eng stereo/eng subtitles/Japanese Credits. [this is the old dvd, edited by myself, sorry for the confusion]

So It looks like they will just throw something like that in. The Cosplay I mean, I don't think it is a bad thing to throw in, but some interviews or something should come first.

Also they have like 5 pharagraphs of the history of the movie and how great it is, I read it all. No mention of any special features.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
wataris: If it's good enough for the Utena movie, it's good enough for Cagliostro. The only extra you get on the R2 is a Spirited Away trailer. =p (Although some fans consider the Streamline dub and re-mastered video the real draw...)

Dargon: It's their old dvd. They haven't updated their site yet. If you notice, Karas isn't on there, either.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Your right I didn't notice, Sorry bout that. I was just reading and clicking really fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Dargon: I know the feeling. ;-;
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Cosplay pictures as a DVD extra? Not that I have anything against cosplayers, but I prefer my anime and manga without the fan (trying to think of a word other than 'crap') works.

I mean, I feel as if my copies of Fruits Basket are tainted with all that fan art and poetry they stick at the back of the volume. It's just a personal preference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cubs2084

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
Buh? Special edition DVD? What's the deal, and really, what's the point? I'm perfectly happy with my standard version, especially if this special edition will be minorly cleaned up and pointless extras as the only differences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
roxy: Fans take a lot of time to put their costumes together. Even if you don't like them, you can respect that.

cubs: I'm guessing it's a way to reach a larger audience of U.S. Lupin fans which have emerged since the film was originally released on dvd. Plus we've been asking Manga at cons for an SE for a while, so it's nice to know they've been listening.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
roxy: Fans take a lot of time to put their costumes together. Even if you don't like them, you can respect that.

That doesn't mean I want to have that as an extra on a DVD. I certainly won't pay for a DVD just to see cosplayers.

Quote:
cubs: I'm guessing it's a way to reach a larger audience of U.S. Lupin fans which have emerged since the film was originally released on dvd. Plus we've been asking Manga at cons for an SE for a while, so it's nice to know they've been listening.

You know, if an SE DVD were released and the subtitles were ANB-approved (full use of honorifics, accurate but readable subtitles), culture & translator notes were included, and things like that, then I might consider purchasing the DVD again. But if all they have for extras are cosplayers and theres just some minor video/audio fixes, then what's the point.

I will say this about the Lupin franchise -- its being so fractured in R1 with MULTIPLE dub casts doesn't help. I know FUNimation remarked a while back that sales of the Lupin TV specials hadn't been as good as they'd hoped. Considering the HORRIBLE job Pioneer/Geneon did when they first started releasing the title, its no surprise to me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:04 am Reply with quote
Astro:
Quote:
That doesn't mean I want to have that as an extra on a DVD. I certainly won't pay for a DVD just to see cosplayers.

For people who can't afford to stay at cons, it's a real deal.

Quote:
You know, if an SE DVD were released and the subtitles were ANB-approved (full use of honorifics, accurate but readable subtitles), culture & translator notes were included, and things like that, then I might consider purchasing the DVD again. But if all they have for extras are cosplayers and theres just some minor video/audio fixes, then what's the point.

From what I hear, the subs were pretty close to the Japanese script. Also, considering it takes place in a European setting, I'm not sure what "cultural" notes would be required. And audio/video upgrades are convenient for people who don't want to pay an extra $15-$25 to see it on R2.

Quote:

I will say this about the Lupin franchise -- its being so fractured in R1 with MULTIPLE dub casts doesn't help.

Lupin has had multiple voice actors in Japan too, so that's a lame argument.

Quote:
I know FUNimation remarked a while back that sales of the Lupin TV specials hadn't been as good as they'd hoped.Considering the HORRIBLE job Pioneer/Geneon did when they first started releasing the title, its no surprise to me.

I see the specials at Best Buy, so they're doing well enough, considering the saturated market.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Astro:
Quote:

For people who can't afford to stay at cons, it's a real deal.

No matter how much effort is put into it it's still someone playing "dress up". It's really not something that I would consider important enough to be on a DVD release, regular or special edition. I do undertand that cosplay is very big in Japan, but background info, concept art, other technical stuff are important DVD features.

No matter how you look at it, it's a cheap way to get content and generate publicity. Since this is an important classic, I think that they should treat the property properly and not degrade it with this publicity stunt.

(Ghibli releases don't have to go this route. Neither should Manga Ent. .)

*No offense meant to cosplayers.*
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No matter how you look at it, it's a cheap way to get content

It's not really cheap, since it's still their money involved in getting it on dvd.

Quote:
and generate publicity.

And Lupin needs all the publicity it can get.

Quote:
Since this is an important classic, I think that they should treat the property properly and not degrade it with this publicity stunt.

A number of people cosplay as the characters from the movie. Obviously, Manga's just trying to show it respects those fans, not trying to insult Cagliostro.

Quote:
(Ghibli releases don't have to go this route. Neither should Manga Ent. .)

Yeah, they just have dub-titles and storyboards and few interviews with the Japanese staff-just the American voice actors. Plus while Cagliostro made money, Di$ney continued to sit on Mononoke, because it didn't want to negotiate for a Japanese track, even though the dvd ended up being one of the most profitable of 2000. Then they sat on their back-catalogue long after it was in R2, because they wanted the line-up to fail. Manga screws up-sometimes intentionally-but at least it doesn't buy up anime just so it doesn't compete with its home-made titles.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I have an idea. They will have an interview with Miyazaki, and he will be cosplaying Zenigata. It will be like "I going to catch him one day", and "arrrgh". It will be great!

And you guys saying it is bad to have them on there. Chill out. Like I said earlier I think some other stuff should be on there, but otherwise it is a good idea. Besides who doesn't want to see some Fujiko, I know most of you are guys.
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
LETTERBOX?????? Mad

WE WANT ANOMORPHIC VIDEO!

This is just another crappy re-release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2