• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Gedo Senki Trailer [2006-05-16]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kidder

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
This is the one directed by Hayao Miyazki's son right?

Unfortunately I can't watch the trailer because it doesn't stream very well. But from what I was able to see, the character designs and background look pretty textbook Miyazaki. Anyone know what the basic synopsis is?

I'm guessing young boy/girl embarks on a magical journey where he/she saves the world or something along those lines.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I am having trouble too. It is using macromedia flash player so I don't think it is providing a buffer. So you just have to get it raw, at the bandwith they are sending it. I would say that if this is indeed a new trailer lots of people are trying all at once to watch it, and there bandwith just can't take it. Maybe in a week or so check again I would say. But I am just guessing at to why we are having trouble.

And yes it is Miyazki's son.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StarMasayume

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I found a lot of information and updates here:
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html

You might need to sift through quite a bit though. That trailer didn't work for me either but this one does for me.. (though it might take some time to load) - http://rose-schwarzes.hp.infoseek.co.jp/gedo/gedosenki-trailer2-320.wmv

I find the song so ethereal and beautiful. The trailer is simple, but seeing the characters and the scenery and everything has got me very excited about the movie! It looks really wonderful.

I think I read in one of the translated interviews that Goro Miyazaki said he went for more simplistic animation for the character design and such because he felt that the focus really needed to be on the dialogue and the story. I was a bit dissappointed reading that, but seeing the trailer I think the animation still looks very beautiful.

The story sounds a bit more complicated than Kidder predicted. It's adapted from a novel series (that I heard compared to Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia--and from what I've seen and know about it, that seems like a decent comparison). Like with the Chronicles of Narnia, they forewent the first novels and the movie is an adaption of the 3rd in the series.

You might need to scroll back and forth quite a bit, but someone created this detailed synopsis of the story:

http://www.ghibliworld.com/images/gedosenkisynopsis.jpg

I had my doubts about Miyazaki's son knowing that Miyazaki opposed to him directing it, but I have a lot of hope right now after seeing and reading through everything. I think it'd be wonderful if the Miyazaki legacy can live on through his son. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the link that works(lest for us). I don't get what you said about simplistic animation. But its only a trailer we would have to see the whole movie to see what Goro means.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kidder

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
wow! big thanks for that link for the trailer! My insides squirm with anticipation now ^^

I also I don't see what you meant about simplified animation. In general Studio Ghibli's character design have always been pretty simple and from the trailer I can't really see any difference. The real beauty in Ghibli films is in the background art and settings, as well as the music which i hope should be soul-meltingly dramatic Razz

When is the predicted release date?
StarMasayume

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you both--I think the animation and background style looks very much the same. It was just what I read in the interview. He probably meant it as more subtles details or something.

I don't think I've come across what the release date is--I was really curious about that myself Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
StarMasayume wrote:
I don't think I've come across what the release date is--I was really curious about that myself Confused
Well july of this year is the best I can do.

Link
Kidder

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
StarMasayume wrote:
Well july of this year is the best I can do.

Link

July! sweeet! I'm gonna be in Hong Kong so maybe I'll get to see the cinema release before u guys in the West ^^
sweet gimmick

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD!! It looks soo good( even if most of it is CG, rather than hand drawn). I look forward to it, cant wait...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1