• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
You are welcome to look at the talkback but please consider that this article is over 7 years old before posting.
Last reply was 9 years, 8 months ago.

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Reports Tie D.C. Navy Yard Shooter to Violent Video Games

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again...
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Here we go again...

I had a real bad feeling that politicians, the NRA & FoxNews were going to put all the blame on violent video games for the shootings.
D@rkLord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
You surprise?

We actually live in such a great time. The young ones make the economy running, but it is the old, tired, nonsensical and/or twisted mind people decide what is fit and what is not fit for us, the young. As a result, more & more asshole old farts pop out & "ban this" "ban that" blah blah blah... simply because they corrupt our mind.

Now I believe more in the talk: despite how much more the world advance, human's mind actually still in the middle - age, when a single bit of unfamiliar shit will be dub as dangerous & need to be cut off
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
All of my local GameStop stores still had huge lines of gamers waiting for the release of "Grand Theft Auto V".
Zhane Masaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
And here we go again, more fuel on the fire. X.x In before the banhammer comes down from Congress.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, here we go and I lived in the DC metropolitan area so this incident hit close home to me. Just to inform those idiots, this guy had a mental problem prior to the Navy Yard shooting. This has nothing to do with violent video game. BTW, this guy is 34 years old and I don't think he would find the time to play a video game. What's next blaming video game for a 60 year old guy doing a massacre.

Also, I found out the shooter also practice Buddhism. How long until anti-buddhism sentiment build up in the US after this shooting just like how Muslim/people of islamic faith face persecution after 9/11.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
I find this kind of shit truly despicable. It's downright dangerous and woefully irresponsible. And it has nothing to do with games themselves. I mean, that's not to say that video games aren't in serious danger as a result of this. The writing is on the wall. They will continue be the scapegoat for incidents like this. And the only amendment most Americans seem to give a shit about is the second. So if tragedies like this keep happening, and they will, it may well result in actual repercussions for video games. But I digress. As I said it isn't even really about video games. That's really relatively immaterial when dozens of innocent people are routinely getting killed. And that's what's really really disgusting about this. It ends up distracting from the real issues here. The fact that these incidents keep occurring...hell, they've basically become a monthly occurrence at this point...needs to be addressed. But we're not gonna do that are we America? Oh no. Of course not. Because who wants to take a hard look at the real problems in America like the total lack of gun control (B...but...my phallic big man hero fantasies) or the atrocious mental health record (I mean you can't ban mental illness. So obviously our hands are tied) when we can just blame an easy scapegoat like games. And why wouldn't you? Even if there's no evidence to support this whatsoever (in fact the opposite) truth has become flaccid and malleable. So long as it draws views the talking heads will just go ahead and claim it to be the case. And then other talking heads will proceed to repeat it. Because the news media is basically one big, loud, living confirmation bias. And thus, to all the idiots who's only source of info is the aforementioned talking heads (and why wouldn't it be? They're "fair and balance" they said so themselves) will go ahead and believe it. Which will just feed right into the confirmation machine. And thus, the debate surrounding these issues comes to be centered on something that is completely irrelevant. Call me dramatic but I sincerely believe this plays a major role in impeding America from making meaningful change. And if America doesn't change, this kind of thing will keep happening. And when it does, the blood of those who die in these incidents will be partly on the news media's hands. And I hope they rot in hell for it.
mdreura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I find this kind of shit truly despicable. It's downright dangerous and woefully irresponsible. And it has nothing to do with games themselves. I mean, that's not to say that video games aren't in serious danger as a result of this. The writing is on the wall. They will continue be the scapegoat for incidents like this. And the only amendment most Americans seem to give a shit about is the second. So if tragedies like this keep happening, and they will, it may well result in actual repercussions for video games. But I digress. As I said it isn't even really about video games. That's really relatively immaterial when dozens of innocent people are routinely getting killed. And that's what's really really disgusting about this. It ends up distracting from the real issues here. The fact that these incidents keep occurring...hell, they've basically become a monthly occurrence at this point...needs to be addressed. But we're not gonna do that are we America? Oh no. Of course not. Because who wants to take a hard look at the real problems in America like the total lack of gun control (B...but...my phallic big man hero fantasies) or the atrocious mental health record (I mean you can't ban mental illness. So obviously our hands are tied) when we can just blame an easy scapegoat like games. And why wouldn't you? Even if there's no evidence to support this whatsoever (in fact the opposite) truth has become flaccid and malleable. So long as it draws views the talking heads will just go ahead and claim it to be the case. And then other talking heads will proceed to repeat it. Because the news media is basically one big, loud, living confirmation bias. And thus, to all the idiots who's only source of info is the aforementioned talking heads (and why wouldn't it be? They're "fair and balance" they said so themselves) will go ahead and believe it. Which will just feed right into the confirmation machine. And thus, the debate surrounding these issues comes to be centered on something that is completely irrelevant. Call me dramatic but I sincerely believe this plays a major role in impeding America from making meaningful change. And if America doesn't change, this kind of thing will keep happening. And when it does, the blood of those who die in these incidents will be partly on the news media's hands. And I hope they rot in hell for it.

"Take away my murder simulators? How dare they! Disemboweling reincarnated Nazi zombies is my right as an American! My pathological violence fantasies don't hurt anybody! Freedom of speech! I'm being oppressed!"

Am I doin it rite guise???
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Also, I read on USA Today that the shooter also lived in Japan at one point.

Kevin Johnson, Rick Jervis and Richard Wolf of USA Today wrote:
But last year, Alexis' fun-loving attitude soured, he said. After landing a job with a computer company that took him to Japan, Alexis called Ritrovato to complain that the company hadn't paid him in weeks.

Fox News better not twist this around and blame both video game and anime/manga/J-culture for the shooting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
tl;dr

"Routinely getting killed"? Massacres are not business as usual in the United States, despite what the 24-hour news cycle will keep on telling you. Mayhem gets ratings, peace doesn't.

You have a point with regards to the dismal state of mental health in the United States, but gun control is just as much of a red herring as violent video games.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Now thinking about it I'm surprised some people don't blame video games or movies on all shootings in chicago. I love Fox News but I can't agree with them on this one. The problem is not the guns or video games or comic books or the movies or tv or whatever of the week that people want to blame on these sad events. Their millions of people around who don't do anything who read or watch or play those things. They are not violent. I been playing video games since I was a little kid. I mean I have seen first hand how far video games have come. Most violent thing I have ever thought of doing in recent years is throwing my disc out the window at anger at the game or throwing my controller down. I was picked on as a kid because I was bigger and taller then most.
What we need to do is look more into mental illness and getting some of these people help like they need. But even if we do that won't change that there evil people in the world. Sometimes they won't hurt and makes no sense. We got to stop blaming everything and starting criminals given back the blame they deserve. I mean what video games were gangtas bootlegging era playing? We need to go back as society stop blaming everything except for criminal and his actions.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Here we go again...
and again, and again, and again, and again, and again and oh fudge it you all already get the point, seriously why are news groups always quick to blame the exact same thing over and over again out of convenience
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
America is full of gun-wielding lunatics.
This one happened to be a Navy contractor.

Last edited by revolutionotaku on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
"Routinely getting killed"? Massacres are not business as usual in the United States, despite what the 24-hour news cycle will keep on telling you. Mayhem gets ratings, peace doesn't.

How many of these incidents have happened in just the last year or so? This, Sandy Hook, Aurora, Boston, and I'm sure there were a couple other more minor ones. They have become a regular goddamned occurrence. Not some random, isolated thing that happens a few times in a decade. They're happening several times a year at least.

Quote:
You have a point with regards to the dismal state of mental health in the United States, but gun control is just as much of a red herring as violent video games.

That's crap. Guns are the tools that in the most direct sense possible allow these people to kill a bunch of people before anyone can stop them. What we can do to keep them out of the hands of dangerous people should absolutely be something we're looking at. Comparing it to video games which have literally nothing to do with these incidents whatsoever is a farce.
mdreura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That's crap. Guns are the tools that in the most direct sense possible allow these people to kill a bunch of people before anyone can stop them. What we can do to keep them out of the hands of dangerous people should absolutely be something we're looking at. Comparing it to video games which have literally nothing to do with these incidents whatsoever is a farce.

The article we're all commenting on says that violent video games are excellent teaching tools for gun violence, so that's clearly wrong. What about my right to not live in constant fear of one of these obsessive gamers snapping and shooting up a school or movie theater? If just one life can be saved, what kind of callous monster would you have to be to refuse?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6