• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New U.K. Anime Online Broadcaster Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
cool but it seems there are already alot of hoops to go through. There is a reason the Crunchyroll model is successful. This most likely won't be.
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
It seems a little more complicated than Crunchyroll with all the time limits and prices. It sounds interesting though but if I'm honest I'd rather just have everything on Crunchyroll. It's a reliable website that my crappy laptop and internet can tolerate and it is just easier to watch everything on one website rather than multiple. But, I might give this new website a try. I actually wanted to check out Kill la Kill and was upset when Crunchyroll didn't get it for the UK. Hopefully it will be something really good for us anime fans in the UK!
minirop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
you didn't understood the 4-days delay. if you want to download the episode instead of watching it in streaming, you watch an ad, you download the file and you have 4 days to watch it before you have to watch again an ad to reactivate the file (no need to redownload it the second time)
Schadows

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
I'm currently, a regular user of wakanim french site (for the obvious reason I'm living in France n__n)

Here is exactly how it works here :
New episodes can be seen free (just have to click on an ads) for 30 days :
- With streaming in SD or 720p HD (the bitrate isn't really good for action packed series).
- With Direct Download DRMed files (can only be read with EZDRM Player or Adobe Player) ... but the files are only playable for 4 days. After that you just need to go back to the site to reactivate the video through an ads.

Before the end of the 30 days, and even after, you can either :
- Rent a streaming up to 1080p for 30 days
- Buy a DRM-free version (hardsub) in MP4 (twice the price of the streaming version) up to 1080p.

As for CR, it can be used for warez pretty easily, but at least, honest customers get the benefit of it
QuinnM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
...because Anime On Demand worked so well.

Wait, wasn't Andrew Partridge the mastermind behind that failed attempt at a UK streaming service too? Well this bodes fantastic already. I look forward to the company closing down within a couple of years again.

In the mean time we will all continue to use Crunchyroll.
Schadows

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
Sure, I too, am using CR since the catalog is so huge.
After all, for series you only want to watch once, this is a very good platform.

But for some series your really like, having an official copy of it, in 1080p, on your hard drive is a good thing (better quality : ~900Mo / episode, no issue with slow bandwith at rush hours, etc.).

After all, when I see some ugly packging for some series, I wonder why would I buy a "physical" version.
Takuku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
QuinnM wrote:
...because Anime On Demand worked so well.

Wait, wasn't Andrew Partridge the mastermind behind that failed attempt at a UK streaming service too? Well this bodes fantastic already. I look forward to the company closing down within a couple of years again.

In the mean time we will all continue to use Crunchyroll.

Anime On Demand did seem to work before the transfer to the new site and dropping ANN's involvement.
From the sounds of things Kaze were lazy about the project (and everything else when it comes to the UK in my opinion) and Andrew was busy with other activities.

I'll be looking forward to trying the new service.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Schadows wrote:
Sure, I too, am using CR since the catalog is so huge.
After all, for series you only want to watch once, this is a very good platform.

But for some series your really like, having an official copy of it, in 1080p, on your hard drive is a good thing (better quality : ~900Mo / episode, no issue with slow bandwith at rush hours, etc.).

After all, when I see some ugly packging for some series, I wonder why would I buy a "physical" version.

Could be cause the so called 1080p version you get from crunchycrap is a horrible upscale that all torrent sites reject and the fact RAW BD will always be better than any digital copy.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
What you mean bluray, with a bitrate of up to 48 Mbit/s, is better than encodes designed to be streamed in real time over the internet? Astonishing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
What you mean bluray, with a bitrate of up to 48 Mbit/s, is better than encodes designed to be streamed in real time over the internet? Astonishing!

BD = Bluray Disc it's sort of like DVD but sounds better than saying BR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1