• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New location rules

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Due to recent and past abuses of the "location" field in user profiles, we require that everyone change their location field to a proper geographic place.

IE: City and/or state or province and/or country.

Places such as "At home," "in my garage," etc, are not permitted.

If you do not wish to include you geographic location, please leave the field blank.

Thank you for you understanding,

Christopher Macdonald
Editor in Chief
Anime News Network

Is what I'm doing okay? I have my actual location in the location space, but I also wrote some additional information.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Is what I'm doing okay? I have my actual location in the location space, but I also wrote some additional information.
When I originally read what Tempest wrote I originally thought that it meant that in the location box only your locations is allowed in there.

But now having read it a couple of times it does seem to say that it's need to be geographic location. I assume that means you are suppose to have CA LA MA PA and not your house or on ANN, behind you etc etc....but it doesn't specifically state if anything else can be on there beside your physical location.

If anything I would PM Tempest and see if we can get some sort of confirmation on if avatar explanation and name explanations are allowed.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
If anything I would PM Tempest and see if we can get some sort of confirmation on if avatar explanation and name explanations are allowed.

As requested in this thread.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:37 am Reply with quote
Can it not be non-offensive and be limited to one sentence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:08 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Due to recent and past abuses of the "location" field in user profiles, we require that everyone change their location field to a proper geographic place.

IE: City and/or state or province and/or country.

Places such as "At home," "in my garage," etc, are not permitted.

If you do not wish to include you geographic location, please leave the field blank.

Thank you for you understanding,

Christopher Macdonald
Editor in Chief
Anime News Network

So does that mean I can't use "home of the King" anymore? (In case you're wondering, the phrase is a reference to my favorite athlete LeBron James, whose nickname is "King".)

EDIT: Changed my location data to comply with the new rules.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
So is the thing that people like myself, Tony K. and Wolverine Princess going to be allowed? (As somebody has already wrote)
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
That would be a nice everyone stands on the same ground sort of decision if a avatar description "thing" were allowed.

Guess I gotta change mine...
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I always include my geographic location rather than including something like "Home" or "The Junkyard". So I agree with tempest's new rule. But what if Zac knows this because his location info isn't geographic.

Zac's location wrote:
The Desert

But where is this desert located?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
But what if Zac knows this because his location info isn't geographic.

Zac's location wrote:
The Desert

But where is this desert located?

I think it would be pretty messed up if staff members were exempt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:

I don't know if they are but they probably shouldn't be exempt but that said I know there are plenty of people on the site who haven't bother to look at new location rules so they wouldn't know about the new rule.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Nagisa's Location wrote:
Old Home

Another example you could say.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
As long as it is not offensive and only one sentence I don't see the problem. I write blank in protest, as this really only started as a "can I have a spot write down my avatar", and then turned into this ban. As long as it doesn't turn into some huge fake sig, I don't see the problem. I have never really seen anyone abuse it and write excessive lines. Except maybe the one that said "I am raping your lolis", but still.

I always used it as, what would my avatar would say if asked for their location. In my current avatar (Jet), he would very likely ask "who's asking?" When it was Yûko, it was "in between dimensions" something she would be doing all the time. etc. Nothing offensive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:

I don't know if they are but they probably shouldn't be exempt but that said I know there are plenty of people on the site who haven't bother to look at new location rules so they wouldn't know about the new rule.
Staff and mods are always exempt from the rules, that's part of the rules at almost any site, even if not expressed Wink
I personally don't see the problem with a little extra information, as long as it isn't offensive, doesn't distort the forum layout with code tricks, and doesn't function as a "fake signature." I've seen very few "Location" lines that fall into those categories, but I have complied with the will of the admins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1