• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekly Playboy: Gen Urobuchi Plans More Anime by 2012

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
excellent
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Two out of four ain't bad. Laughing
AureliusPlotinus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I just hope his new anime are going to "warm our hearts" like Puella Magi Madoka Magica did. Twisted Evil
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Considering the success of Madoka Magica that made him a higher-profile name in the anime community, it'll be interesting to see what he does. Since Madoka Magica seemed to be a spoiler[healing anime after all-- more so for Urobuchi, who had felt that he couldn't write "good" endings before, than for audiences]-- maybe some of his upcoming stuff will reflect that "new insight" he's gained from working on it.

Something that I'm both sadistically hopeful and terribly horrified about in regards to one of his potential projects? An anime adaptation of his Nitroplus VN Saya no Uta. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
Apparently according to the story posted on MyAnimeList he was also asked about writing a Madoka sequel but has said he's doubtful or hesitant about it. Either way looking forward to seeing what he has coming up.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Considering the success of Madoka Magica that made him a higher-profile name in the anime community, it'll be interesting to see what he does.

Higher-profile? He's one of the few in the anime industry that really can't be any higher. The man is among the top-shelf writers within the entire breadth of the otaku community, so much so that people initially watched Madoka purely because Gen was the writer.
Attemptingreason

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Something that I'm both sadistically hopeful and terribly horrified about in regards to one of his potential projects? An anime adaptation of his Nitroplus VN Saya no Uta. Twisted Evil

I have to agree, that game forever changed the way I look at Jello.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
it is actually very strange that people associate Magica with this "script supervisor" guy... he is not called "original concept" guy; not even "scenarist" guy...
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Darkhunter6523 wrote:
Higher-profile? He's one of the few in the anime industry that really can't be any higher. The man is among the top-shelf writers within the entire breadth of the otaku community, so much so that people initially watched Madoka purely because Gen was the writer.

Well maybe I was just evaluating him from my own personal experience then-- I'd never personally heard of this guy before getting into the show, and I just imagined that was the same with a lot of people that got into the show. Though I still think it's fair to say or suppose that, to more fans in the overall anime community (as opposed to what I perceive to be the narrower "otaku community"), he's become more well-known...

MaxSouth wrote:
it is actually very strange that people associate Magica with this "script supervisor" guy... he is not called "original concept" guy; not even "scenarist" guy...

While the article describes him as "script supervisor", he is credited on the ANN Encyclopedia with both the role of "Series Composition" and "Script" (for all 12 episodes). So... yeah, Madoka Magica deserves to be strongly associated with him; he's part of the "Magica Quartet" that forms the core of the series-- which includes himself, Director Akiyuki Shinbo, Character Designer Ume Aoki, and Music Composer Yuki Kaijura.

And looking at interviews, it seems that he's had more control in this show than any other show adapted from his works before . As a small example, there was a recent interview/excerpt (from the July issue of Megami magazine) that showed, during the seiyyu dubbing, that Director Shinbo got really attached to so-and-so character (spoiler[Sayaka]) and asked Urobuchi whether something could be done to get that character back, but Urobuchi said it was impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote
thanks for details; this article then is obviously erroneous, calling him "script supervisor"...
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote
AureliusPlotinus wrote:
I just hope his new anime are going to "warm our hearts" like Puella Magi Madoka Magica did. Twisted Evil
Yes, please Very Happy

Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Apparently according to the story posted on MyAnimeList he was also asked about writing a Madoka sequel but has said he's doubtful or hesitant about it.
Not really surprising. I don't think it needs a sequel, either. I doubt PMMM would gain anything from a sequel. Spinoffs, maybe, but a sequel? Nah.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
thanks for details; this article then is obviously erroneous, calling him "script supervisor"...

Series Script Supervisor is how series kōsei (what overseas fans translate as "series composition") is translated in Japan.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
In an interview that the 4gamer website conducted with Urobuchi and illustrator Chūō-Higashiguchi, Urobuchi revealed that the anime that he is working on for the end of 2012 is a new original anime (and not one based on a previous story).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1