• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Allegedly Selling Fake Anime Stickers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's one serious crime there. Apparently, Saga's police don't have a lot to do.

Also, if things like this are going on, it's little wonder that the doujinshi community is going crazy about copyright concerns....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
Poof, thank god. I feel safer now that this dangerous person is behind the bars.

[Insert mandatory Kuroko threats reference]
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
stickers are a serious business in japan

do not copy
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Also, if things like this are going on, it's little wonder that the doujinshi community is going crazy about copyright concerns....

Technically, the doujin scene almost always involves things that are at least partially original or derivative, but never directly copied and pasted. For instance, you'll see a lot of music covers of existing songs and artwork or small games of existing characters, but never anyone selling stickers of copyrighted images they didn't draw themselves. I'm assuming that's what's going on in this case, and it has nothing to do with the issues involved in the doujin scene (which aren't THAT bad as long as people follow the unwritten rules about IP in Japan).

Still, though... Stickers...? >.>;;;
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
Now we can all sleep knowing the world is a safer place...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
Just think of all the money Sunrise lost by that dude selling Gundam stickers.

It's gonna be hard to sleep at night knowing how destitute those at Bandai are.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote
It always makes me shake my head to see that some of you piracy advocates have actually stooped so low as to start supporting bootlegging. It used to be you guys had some degree of standards about these sorts of illegal practices, but I guess with the fansub scene suffering the throes of competition from legitimate online streaming, you all have to attach your egos to something. Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:57 am Reply with quote
Hey, fake stuff are serious business!
Like this for example: a Japanese tourist using "fake" credit card in the U.S. gets arrested. Laughing

• You better watch out. Having a credit card with Idolmaster characters plastered across the surface is good enough to get you arrested in the U.S these days. That is precisely what happened to a Japanese Twitter user’s father on a recent trip to Los Angeles. The card was so cute that it was mistaken as a fake, which resulted in the Japanese man being arrested by local authorities.

While it might not seem odd to have a credit card with pictures of idols from a game or cartoon in Japan, the same can’t be said for the U.S. Anything too cute for comfort might be seen as a child’s toy and any man carrying a cutesy card might raise a few eyebrows as well. Let’s face it, not too many men carry around credit cards with adorable young girls on them in the U.S., so it’s not surprising that authorities suspected this man of fraud

What is surprising is that they actually went as far as arresting the man for using his anime idol girls as a form of payment. Thankfully the man’s bank in Japan followed up on the case quickly, offering their apologies and telling the man to wait until the evening for a free meal. Talk about compensation. Granted it’s not really the bank’s fault but couldn’t they offer a bit more?

Luckily, it’s not every day we face such bizarre circumstances. However, there are a couple of things we all can learn from this credit card mishap. Whenever you find yourself abroad and in trouble you had better contact the nearest embassy or consulate and talk to someone face to face. Otherwise nobody will understand why you were carrying around a suspiciously cute credit card.

TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Actually, in the above case, it should have been the business that provided the apologies and compensation for falsely accusing the man of fraud and having the police arrest him. A simple call to the card's bank from the concerned business would have resolved the situation.
That news article should have mentioned what business actually did this to that man, so we would know to stay away that business location, since they are clueless and dangerous idiots.

As to this topic, if you illegally sell stickers for a copyrighted product you run the risk of going to jail. Odds are also, that the police merely responded to an official complaint and arrested the man. Really don't think they expended much effort, or that much effort was even really required. Whoever made the complaint most likely provided all the evidence that was required to get a warrant for their arrest.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, come on, it's a frickin' VISA!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
It always makes me shake my head to see that some of you piracy advocates have actually stooped so low as to start supporting bootlegging. It used to be you guys had some degree of standards about these sorts of illegal practices, but I guess with the fansub scene suffering the throes of competition from legitimate online streaming, you all have to attach your egos to something. Rolling Eyes

... Or some of us don't support it but seeing someone being arrested over stickers is a little excessive when serious criminals are still wondering the streets; time and money can be better spent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:

... Or some of us don't support it but seeing someone being arrested over stickers is a little excessive when serious criminals are still wondering the streets; time and money can be better spent.

Over the sale of three stickers. This is hardly a hardcore counterfeiting operation. This is a poor, unemployed guy trying to make an extra yen sharing something he probably made for himself and thought maybe a few others would like.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it seems odd to arrest someone for something so small, but I always chuckle at the suggestion that the same officers who carried this out were ones who would otherwise be out there patrolling the streets for serial killers or something.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Yeah, it seems odd to arrest someone for something so small, but I always chuckle at the suggestion that the same officers who carried this out were ones who would otherwise be out there patrolling the streets for serial killers or something.

He was probably arrested, because someone or an entity made a formal complaint, not because of any police action that discovered this.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
But we've all sold counterfeit anime stickers at one time or another!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2