• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ouran High School Host Club GN 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Ouran is a great manga but I don't think I can get into the manga as much as I can the anime just because I love the voice actors especially Maaya Sakamoto, and I need to listen to Sakura Kiss to get in the Ouran mood Smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I love the Love Egoist side stories. Is anyone else hoping Bisco Hatori makes a series out of that when she finishes Ouran?
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote
"Roberia"? Was it transliterated as "Roberia"? But... wouldn't "Lobelia" make much more sense, since it's actually a real word, and something that an all-girl school may very well be named after?

Rolling Eyes
Yukimi-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
"Roberia"? Was it transliterated as "Roberia"? But... wouldn't "Lobelia" make much more sense, since it's actually a real word, and something that an all-girl school may very well be named after?

Rolling Eyes

As in, the flower?

No. I don't think so, anyway. They're pronounced differently. If they meant the flower, I think it would've been written in katakana as "Robiria" instead of "Roberia."

And if they HAD changed it to Lobelia, you can bet 80,000 fans would be screaming, "WHY?!?!"

But anyway...

I've been waiting forever for this volume. Very Happy I saw the anime eps, so I was wondering what the manga version would be like. I like the sparkle and sound of the anime, but the prettiness of the manga makes me happiest.

It would be nice if Bisco Hatori made a series out of Love Egoist, but I'd hope it would be a short series--maybe two or three volumes--only because I'd want something a little different from what I've seen before.
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Yukimi-chan wrote:
If they meant the flower, I think it would've been written in katakana as "Robiria" instead of "Roberia."

The flower is called "Roberia" in Japanese (look [url=http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ロベリア]here[/url] for example). English pronunciation of the word may be different, but it's not an English loanword.

Yukimi-chan wrote:
And if they HAD changed it to Lobelia, you can bet 80,000 fans would be screaming, "WHY?!?!"

I'm not saying they should change it (if they were called 'Roberia' in their first chapter then that's it), I'm just surprised that the name was transliterated as 'Roberia' when it makes absolutely no sense and 'Lobelia' would've been an obvious choice.
Yukimi-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
The flower is called "Roberia" in Japanese (look [url=http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ロベリア]here[/url] for example). English pronunciation of the word may be different, but it's not an English loanword.

AH! I'm sorry. I tried to check up on that before I posted, but I couldn't find anything. I guess I typo'd somewhere when I typed it out in katakana. ^^

mufurc wrote:
I'm not saying they should change it (if they were called 'Roberia' in their first chapter then that's it), I'm just surprised that the name was transliterated as 'Roberia' when it makes absolutely no sense and 'Lobelia' would've been an obvious choice.

It would be nice if we could ask the translator why they chose to leave it as "Roberia" and not change it to "Lobelia." But I actually like that they kept it as Roberia. Lobelia would've looked more odd to me...even though it's a real word.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Translation and English Adaptation: Naomi Kokubo and Eric-Jon Rössel Waugh, it says in the credits.

They both turn up a few results if you google for them; it looks like Eric-Jon has a bit of a web presence (although mostly for personal stuff).
thundastormz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a bit miffed that there are some clear mistakes in this volume...

Page 30: "Could it be that you stepped in because that man that man was rude to me?"

Page 85: "After that, he lost it and become the alien being he is now..."

...ahs well...

*patiently awaits the release of volume 8*

I predict that it'll come out Feb... or Jan (hopefully)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1