• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Films at the Japanese Box Office: 2013

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Funny that six of the top 10 b.o. films are animated. That would never happen in North America.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
First time since 2002 that Pokemon is beaten in the box office by both Doraemon and Conan. However the next movie signals the beginning of a new generation and those are usually the ones with the highest gross.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
Well it didn't make the top 10 but I am so happy that Like Father Like Son is doing well in Japan. Smile
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Funny that six of the top 10 b.o. films are animated. That would never happen in North America.

Maybe in pure numbers but it's not rare for a number of animated films to top US box office. For 2013 so far, Despicable Me 2 and Monsters University are in the Top 10 with two more barely missing the cut at #12 and #13.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Maybe in pure numbers but it's not rare for a number of animated films to top US box office. For 2013 so far, Despicable Me 2 and Monsters University are in the Top 10 with two more barely missing the cut at #12 and #13.

Frozen will end up in the Top 10 too, so that's 3 out of 10. Animated films usually do well in the B.O. since they're rated G/PG so that expands the audience to the whole family (multiple tickets per group). Anyways, many live-action movies have tons of animation in them too nowadays (like Ted).
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see the Nazotoki wa Dinner no Ato de movie did so well. I mean, the drama was okay but I didn't think it was so great that a follow-up movie would be likely to be in the Top 10 grossing films of the year. I guess I'll have to look that up when I get the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1