• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kyousogiga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
The one point I wish the show added more depth to was the side character Danji, AKA Myoue's girlfriend or sexual partner or whatever... She was my favorite character, and was very interesting. spoiler[She cared for Myoue, and it appeared she was in love with him, but she also knew that Koto was a very important existence to him.] They completely ignored her after her final appearance, and nothing was ever finished with her and Myoue. Since they decided NOT to make her just a background character, I wish they had done something with her with more conclusion...

Anyway, I loved this series, and I have the first Blu-ray on pre-order. I'll pick up episode zero on Blu-ray in the next month. I'm not a big fan of Rie Kugimiya, but I think this role really suited her voice to a T. Awesome job.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
− Ends with a recap episode,

Eh, not much of a minus when the series had a perfectly (if maybe overly sugary) satisfying ending before that.

Overall I loved the show and rated it as Excellent, but I still wish it had two cours instead of just one. That way they could have dedicated more episodes to world building, characters and just general slice-of-life hijinks as well as spread out the plot heavy stuff a little more instead of just infodumping in the last few episodes.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Definitely file this one under "Best shows that nobody watched". Which honestly, considering the show's peculiar production history, isn't really surprising. It is still a damn shame, though. This was a spectacular show.

I love that for all its spectacle and energy, this is still a small and personal story. Even with all the sci-fi nonsense and spiritual mythology, it's just the story of this one family and their issues. It's really just a heartfelt character drama, dressed up an FLCL costume.

I also think this is arguably the Queen of Tsundere, Rie Kugimiya's strongest role to date. Balancing young Koto's brash, childish immaturity with her deep emotional scars. Koto was definitely one of my favorite characters of the year. The scene in the finale when spoiler[Koto tells her Grandfather that she's going to go have a talk with her Dad, and just beats the crap out of him instead,] might be one of my new favorite moments in anime. That's just such a good use of characterization.

I agree that it gets a bit infodumpy in the second half, but that feels like a negligible flaw in an otherwise immaculate production. Kyousougiga feels like the kind of show that retroactively justifies all the schlocky nonsense that pays for passion projects like this, and asserts anime as a legitimate artform. Somebody, anybody, get Matsumoto away from Precure storyboards and give her another project to helm! You're squandering a lot of talent, Toei.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
It was interesting to me that the ency says Izumi Todi is a collective pseudonym Toei uses. Would love to know who the actual creators are and what they've worked on. besides Precure and the other things the house nym has been applied to, I mean.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I love this show so much! My favorite of 2013. It really hit all the right emotional buttons for me. I adore shows that examine family in a heartfelt way. I would really love to own this show. I don't suppose the Japanese Blu Rays happen to have English subtitles? Probably not...

I love the way this show was animated. It was always so exciting and vibrant. I definitely want to see more from the people who made this show. (I do super love Heartcatch Precure! as well.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The main moral of Kyousogiga: love is hurting someone, whether emotionally or just a good old punch to the face. Gack.

The first half of the show was good; really good. The first true episode (not the OVA) was exceptional. But the second half saw the story go off the rails as it messily tried to cram in over a cour's worth of plot developments in a mere five episodes. We were introduced to two Shrine characters who were barely featured and didn't really matter, introduced to god himself (the senior one) in the last episode and he barely mattered, everything was so hurriedly explained (partly due to the writers holding their cards to the chests for too long), and we saw existing characters act bizarrely out of nowhere just to get the plot moving after all that character development in the first half.

Ended up giving the show a rating of Decent, which roughly corresponds to a straight C.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
Definitely file this one under "Best shows that nobody watched". Which honestly, considering the show's peculiar production history, isn't really surprising. It is still a damn shame, though. This was a spectacular show.

Just went through the unscientific exercise of checking this by scrolling down through Crunchyroll's "most popular" view. Depressingly many many rows down.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
Redcrimson wrote:

Just went through the unscientific exercise of checking this by scrolling down through Crunchyroll's "most popular" view. Depressingly many many rows down.

It still has over 19 thousand adds on MyAnimeList with 6800 completions, so you certainly could never call it obscure or forgotten. The ONA has over 12,000 completions, for comparison. If the series is ever licensed, I'd like to see all of the previous related animations come with it.
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Such a fantastic show, they really had a vision for every episode, and it has been a long time since I could enjoy every single individual episode so much.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
Somebody, anybody, get Matsumoto away from Precure storyboards and give her another project to helm! You're squandering a lot of talent, Toei.

... She hasn't worked on Precure since the Heartcatch movie. The two SSO episodes aside (which are basically the best episodes of the show), Kyousougiga is all she's worked on since then.

Also, talented people tend to leave Toei eventually.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been interested in this series for a long while due to loving crazy and surreal visuals (El Shaddai will always be one of my favorite games for the artstyle alone), and given the sheer amount of praise it keeps getting, I guess I'll have to crack down and watch it one day.

I hope this show is as much of a surreal and visual feast for the eyes like all the screenshots I see are.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series. Koto (the younger one) is now one of my favorite female characters.

I also would've liked more episodes to explore different characters.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ended up giving the show a rating of Decent, which roughly corresponds to a straight C.

FYI, the rating of Decent corresponds to a straight B, not C.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I've been interested in this series for a long while due to loving crazy and surreal visuals (El Shaddai will always be one of my favorite games for the artstyle alone), and given the sheer amount of praise it keeps getting, I guess I'll have to crack down and watch it one day.

I hope this show is as much of a surreal and visual feast for the eyes like all the screenshots I see are.

There will be yuri. Avoid this one Chagen.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I was recommended this show by a friend and have followed it a bit on people's blogs so I gave it a try. Not a bad show, though I think marathoning it might have not been the best idea. This is probably a show better watched at a slower, leisurely pace. I think the character story for some of the siblings could've been wrapped up a bit more, but I agree that the music is fantastic, especially in the second half of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4