• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 12 Things You Can Learn About World History From Manga, And More

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Goodness, I'd love for these books to come stateside! The story of the Indian Joan of Arc is too cool to pass up!
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see another viewpoint on historical events. I don't think it would hurt at all for these to be available in English here, and other appropriate languages elsewhere.

If something is skewed or outright wrong in the manga, well that's an opportunity for a teacher, or parent, to talk with the kids.

Mark Gosdin
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like they really went to the effort of showing things from a view different from most such accounts.
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
An amazing read. Some stuff I definitely did not know.

I'm happy it brings the Imperialism of Japan more to the light. Despite my love of Japan they were even worse than the Nazi's during that era, brutally torturing, raping, and massacring villages throughout Asia, invading Asia with global conquest in mind, and treating all other races as animals.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit concerned about the portrayal of Henry Ford, since in real life he was a union buster and a fierce anti-Semite who had professional dealings with Adolf Hitler based on mutual admiration.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But Zambia? It's a pretty humble choice given the panoply of turbulent African countries to choose from.

You're quite right about this. Zambia is little known, but it too went through the usual crap that African countries just couldn't seem to avoid. And picking an obscure country rather than a famous one is actually useful in that it teaches history rather than just reinforcing what people already know.

Quote:
His disillusionment over the rebels' cause introduces a fairly nuanced point: that sometimes, fighting for the cause of the poor and downtrodden against a corrupt tyranny isn't always the right thing.

Fighting against corruption and tyranny is always the right thing. It's how you fight that is important.

Quote:
A few years later, a mutiny broke out among Britain's Indian soldiers, and the flames fanned into a national rebellion.

That's interesting. I always assumed that the British takeover of India was done relatively smoothly. Guess the unrest was swept under the carpet of history, or else overshadowed by the later independence movement lead by Gandhi.

Quote:
Felipe II drove Spain to bankruptcy despite all the gold and silver from the New World.

Yet another reason why monarchies are an inferior form of government. Sure, that's not to say that democracies can't get into financial trouble; just look at the great depression or the global financial crisis. But it is harder for one prick to squander a country's wealth in a democracy than an absolute monarchy.

Quote:
Sometimes, even well-intentioned policies don't work out that well.

This is misleading, at least in respect to the case study given. It makes it sound like his well-intentioned policies failed because they were useless and ill-thought-out, whereas they really failed because of corrupt officials and greedy merchants undermining them.

Quote:
Wang refuses to blame the Chinese government, and points out to his peeved daughter that America, China's arch-rival, may have more freedom, but it also has a greater wealth gap, and "it's a harsh society for the weak."

Typical communist prattle. America may have had a bigger wealth gap but at least there wasn't mass starvation and imprisonment of the educated. And the weak in America could have a chance of making it big through universal education, whereas in China if you were born a peasant good luck trying to achieve upwards mobility. Lastly, let's not forget that China had its own entrenched class of rulers who lived the good life while everyone starved.

Quote:
But did you know there was an older Summer Palace? The "Yuanmingyuan" was built near the modern Summer Palace in the early 1700s. The Chinese emperors at that time were influenced by Jesuit missionaries in the imperial court and wanted to see fountains and European-styled architecture in their garden.

Hey, I didn't know that, and it's pretty neat. I wasn't even aware that Jesuit missionaries had been that successful in China.

Quote:
Considering that Gandhi, with his spiritual aura and lovable doctrine of non-violence, is the more charismatic figure, this is a surprising choice.

Fun fact: Gandhi believed in sleeping in bed with lots of young naked women to "test his commitment". Dirty old codger.

Quote:
Even wilder, though, is that it makes Japan seem like the bad guy, pointing out that Japanese lords pillaged Korean pottery and presenting Korea as the protagonist in Japan's invasion of 1592. Yi Sunshin, the admiral who turned back the Japanese fleet with his fearsome "turtle ships," is called a hero. Now that's something most countries would have a hard time doing.

Good Scott, how did the truth get past the Japanese nationalist moral watchdogs? Good to hear that Japanese schoolchildren are able to read something that isn't propaganda.

Quote:
The Crusades were really a money-making scheme.

Well, I've heard that there were plenty of interconnected reasons for the Crusades. But yes, none of them were to do with being an actual holy war against unbelievers; that was just the excuse sold to the masses.

Quote:
Indian soldiers fought as mercenaries in British colonial wars in Africa.

I didn't know that but I'm not surprised. Many of the empire's best troops were foreigners, such as the wickedly fearsome Gurkhas.

Quote:
...was later used to crown the kings of France.

Wow, it's almost like the Arthurian legends were partly inspired from Charlemange.

----------

Would do all the others, but this would end up being even longer than it already is. So I'll just say that the Byzantine emperor using a kanji stamp is hilarious. Also:

Quote:
Otto von Bismarck had a sentimental side.

Is it really so surprising? Of course powerful men across history had sentimental and loving sides to them. Even the big H himself loved his dogs.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Quote:
Felipe II drove Spain to bankruptcy despite all the gold and silver from the New World.

Yet another reason why monarchies are an inferior form of government. Sure, that's not to say that democracies can't get into financial trouble; just look at the great depression or the global financial crisis. But it is harder for one prick to squander a country's wealth in a democracy than an absolute monarchy.

Felipe could have been the most careful spender in history, and all the world's gold wouldn't have saved Spain. The only thing importing gold did was drive up the inflation rate, devaluing the currency. The more he imported, the more he devalued his own currency. It's basic economics that lots of politicians still don't grasp today.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
^
Then don't spend the gold in Spain; simple as that. Keep it in reserves, buy things from other countries or pay off debt.

You make it sound like being wealthy is automatically a bad thing when it's not.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Quote:

Felipe could have been the most careful spender in history, and all the world's gold wouldn't have saved Spain. The only thing importing gold did was drive up the inflation rate, devaluing the currency. The more he imported, the more he devalued his own currency. It's basic economics that lots of politicians still don't grasp today.

Actually, he'd only devalue his own currency if he backed more currency with the new gold in his treasury, which I believe he did. He wasn't the brightest bulb.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
I wish these manga were around when I took World History in school. It would've been much more fun.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

I wish these manga were around when I took World History in school. It would've been much more fun.

And something else we didn't know about GW Bush's war on terror (NSFW!) Laughing

Or just watch this: (It's good to be the King!)

Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
I'm a bit concerned about the portrayal of Henry Ford, since in real life he was a union buster and a fierce anti-Semite who had professional dealings with Adolf Hitler based on mutual admiration.

Henry Ford was many things. For an elementary schoolkid you give a general view of Henry Ford's accomplishments. A more nuanced view on him, his life, his politcal views etc... simply are not material for 2nd or 3rd graders. C'mon man let's be realistic here.
Do you make elementary schoolkids read Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire when telling them about Greek and Roman history ? Wink
konton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
Eric, I really enjoyed this column but I have a few specific questions to ask you if you don't mind off the forum (I don't want to bother everyone here).
Could I please contact you directly? Thank you
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Then don't spend the gold in Spain; simple as that. Keep it in reserves, buy things from other countries or pay off debt.

You make it sound like being wealthy is automatically a bad thing when it's not.

Actually, that gold went most directly to Italian (Genoese) bankers who paid Philip II in advance for all the spending he did, specially fighting pirates, an open rebellion in Flanders (actual Belgium & Netherlands) backed with English (and French) money, etc.

Quoting some film "you don't make the biggest empire in the world without making some enemies". It's the same it happened all along the world's history: the biggest your land is, the more threats you have. Just look how much money U.S of A's treasury goes to military spending.

As for "inept", well. It's quite obvious the author is not an historian and he's just taking "common History", with its well known bias.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

As for "inept", well. It's quite obvious the author is not an historian and he's just taking "common History", with its well known bias.

Why do you think he was ept?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2