• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Colombiana

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'll write in and be "that guy" who bitches and moans about the cost of importing Anime from the States. Yeah, should be fun.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused about the discussion of Crunchyroll there. The claim was the Crunchyroll's stuff in Latin America is mostly old, though not as old as the stuff that broadcasters look at.

But as far as I can tell, its the opposite. Crunchyroll's catalog titles that were licensed as catalog titles are almost always from North American home video distributors, and so are limited to North America, the only streaming sublicense that the distributor originally picked up.

So its more Crunchyroll mostly streams new stuff, and very little stuff older than a year or two old (given their smaller season counts two years ago, heavier Latin American season restrictions, and loss of some titles after acquisition by a home video distributor).

For a while now over two fifths, and recently over half, of Crunchyroll's simulcasts have been licensed to Latin America. Over the past year, Spanish America and the Caribbean got (Free%/Stream%):
Spring 2012: 25%/50%
Summer 2012: 48%/63%
Fall 2012: 48%/63%
Winter 2013: 62%/62%

(NB: new license announcements that season, short runtime, truncated series count titles counted as 0.1)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Just a heads up to your Colombian reader, but Mexico doesn't get anime DVD's in the way you seem to believe. Asides from Saint Seiya and Ghibli movies, we're all in the same third-world boat.

I wouldn't really know about Crunchyroll, but the few times I've tried using daily passes, the videos won't even run in my computer. And, contrary to what is said here, it's not the new shows that are lacking, but the backlog catalog. Spanish CR doesn't even have Madoka. Like... I don't even...
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I wouldn't really know about Crunchyroll, but the few times I've tried using daily passes, the videos won't even run in my computer.

You don't need a pass, ad-streaming is supported on most of their Latin American titles. Are you having trouble at the lower video resolutions?

Quote:
And, contrary to what is said here, it's not the new shows that are lacking, but the backlog catalog. Spanish CR doesn't even have Madoka. Like... I don't even...

A perfect example of what I said immediately previous ~ they didn't get Madoka as a simulcast, they got it as a catalog title from the North American licensee, who didn't have Latin American streaming rights in the first place.

While Crunchyroll is now getting a majority of their simulcasts streaming to Latin America, the catalog titles are mostly just previous season's simulcasts that they have been allowed to keep up.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I wouldn't really know about Crunchyroll, but the few times I've tried using daily passes, the videos won't even run in my computer.

You don't need a pass, ad-streaming is supported on most of their Latin American titles. Are you having trouble at the lower video resolutions?

Yeah, usually Low-Res video play (usually. Sometimes they don't). But The point is that if I want to pay a membership (which isn't really expensieve), I want it to be worth my money. If HD videos can't even run in my computer and the catalog is so extemely limited, there's no point in putting my money there, that's the point I want to make.
Gambeno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Yea I know
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
To the correspondent from Bogotá, Colombia, are you aware that South America is in the same DVD region as Australia? That means that any imports frorm Madman, Siren or Hanabee will work on your DVD players. Madman, in particular, has an extensive back catalogue of titles. The three distributors will ship overseas with some individual licencing restrictions. Australia's cost of living is quite high, as is our dollar, so it may be expensive, and, of course, they only provide English subs and dubs, but it is worth checking out.

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alph4Xerxes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But that's hardly a symptom exclusive to Latin America - same goes for people living even in cash-abundant places like Canada or Australia, who similarly get the short end of the exchange rate stick.

Hence why the Australian dollar's currently buying around US$1.04... right?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Alph4Xerxes wrote:

Exchange rates can have complicated effects. Australia's dollar is at a peak historically. Only a decade or so ago it was just over 50c to the US dollar. The rise has been as a result of the mining boom, with China buying our resources as quickly as we can dig them out of the ground. As a result the dollar has skyrocketed and imports have become, by historical standards, very cheap. Any business in Oz that competes against imported products is struggling. It's a classic example of Dutch Disease. Our minority federal government tried to introduce a mining super profits tax to redistribute the wealth gained from something that belongs to everyone and to reduce the hollowing out of the economy but, being a minority government, was blackmailed into watering it down so much that it ended up being ineffectual, raising very little revenue. The billionaires won that one.

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Yeah, usually Low-Res video play (usually. Sometimes they don't). But The point is that if I want to pay a membership (which isn't really expensive), I want it to be worth my money. If HD videos can't even run in my computer and the catalog is so extemely limited, there's no point in putting my money there, that's the point I want to make.

I pay not to have ads, I don't worry much about video quality, since in the evenings around here congestion (darn Netflix!) knocks my Roku streams down to 360p anyways, my Nook Color couldn't keep up with a 480p stream even if the Android app offered one, and my 4.3" Android player is under 360p resolution anyways.

But yeah, if you don't mind the ads, and would be paying for the video quality, and if 360p is the best you can stream, that's the quality of the ad-streaming, may as well watch free.

If there are one or two series that are only available to paying members you want to watch, easy enough to subscribe for one month in the last month of the broadcast season, set it to not renew, and catch up on those series then.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Alph4Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
But that's hardly a symptom exclusive to Latin America - same goes for people living even in cash-abundant places like Canada or Australia, who similarly get the short end of the exchange rate stick.

Note that that is a bit deceptive, because at Ozzie dollar prices for things, price-parity would be closer to US$0.80 = A$1. So US$1=A$1 means the A$ is at a premium of about 25%, from a US perspective.

Or the US$ at a discount of about 20%, from an Ozzie perspective.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
...Or the US$ at a discount of about 20%, from an Ozzie perspective.

Which is great for importing anime from the US, except the delivery charges aren't cheap.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
agila61 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Yeah, usually Low-Res video play (usually. Sometimes they don't). But The point is that if I want to pay a membership (which isn't really expensieve), I want it to be worth my money. If HD videos can't even run in my computer and the catalog is so extemely limited, there's no point in putting my money there, that's the point I want to make.

What computer do you have? I have a low end PC that's a few years old and I can play their 1080p streams fine. I wonder if it's also CR's network performance in S.America since they I think they rely on various geographic CDN servers
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But as far as I can tell, its the opposite. Crunchyroll's catalog titles that were licensed as catalog titles are almost always from North American home video distributors, and so are limited to North America, the only streaming sublicense that the distributor originally picked up.

To be honest, I find the fact that we still have licenses for specific regions to be utterly daft. In the internet age, there shouldn't even BE the idea of "regions", when anyone in the world with a free internet connection can access a website.

But it's not suits would ever understand that Rolling Eyes
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

What computer do you have? I have a low end PC that's a few years old and I can play their 1080p streams fine. I wonder if it's also CR's network performance in S.America since they I think they rely on various geographic CDN servers

I don't think the problem is in the computer. My PC is kind of old I reckon (around 6 years, I think), but my laptop is brand new and they don't work there either. I've always thought it's a network problem (even though Mexico is technically part of North America, which everyone tends to forget. Not that I particularly care since culturally we're closer to the S.A., but it at least means a significant price difference in shipping -which is still outrageous [/rant]). Whatever it is, if the choice is a) paying to watch HD videos and a bigger catalogue, yet being unable to play the videos or b) watching the LD videos for free, I'd rather make a c) Use ripping and illegal streaming sites that have the HD videos for free. And they do run in either of my computers and even my SmartTV, which is awesome. It's not helping the industry, but the industry makes it really hard for me to support them.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4