• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Posts Blue Exorcist Trailer for Weekend Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
it would have been better off if they did the enlgish dub broadcast while they were doing all of those sub only dvd releases ala gurren lagan. it will do fine , but unfortunately i doubt a lot of people are gonna watch this as well as black lagoon when the DVD are already out. most people will watch is bleach and space dandy since their new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
what's your definition of "a lot"? One Piece is always near 1 million, SAO fluctuated between 1 million at its highest to 728,000 at its lowest, Shippuden pulls in over 1 million, Soul Eater stays around 800K, FMA:B and Inuyasha normally stay above 500K. all of those are out on DVD/BD.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
it would have been better off if they did the enlgish dub broadcast while they were doing all of those sub only dvd releases ala gurren lagan. it will do fine , but unfortunately i doubt a lot of people are gonna watch this as well as black lagoon when the DVD are already out. most people will watch is bleach and space dandy since their new.

>And then both shows go on to do 700k+ every night for both of their runs.

What is it with people wanting Toonami to fail, when it's very obvious it's going nowhere?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
What is it with people wanting Toonami to fail, when it's very obvious it's going nowhere?

I think many fans took what Toonami was always meant to be out of context and instead treated it as a juggernaut method of making anime mainstream. And people that either have moved on from Toonami or never cared for it in the first place roll their eyes over the people that have say, uploaded online petitions or think Toonami will save the anime industry or whatever.

At least that's my theory. Now regardless of why, I have nothing against the people that don't personally care for Toonami and I never have. As much as I love the block and want it to keep succeeding, it's not for everyone, especially not in the year 2014. Things are different from the late 90s and early-mid 2000s in terms of how people consume entertainment and media. We now have Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, Crunchyroll, Youtube, On-Demand as well as dvd and blu-ray. And due to Cable being pretty expensive for many folks, I understand why a lot of people would find something like Toonami now less relevant than before. Even Jason DeMarco, who has helped run Toonami since it first launched gets it. That said, Toonami still has relevance for many people (believe it or not) who would discover something on TV that they may not have gotten around to seeing elsewhere otherwise due to not being able to get around to the hundreds and hundreds of content to watch out there, anime or not.

What gets to me about the naysayers isn't the fact they are uninterested in Toonami so much as that by speaking for an entire audience that may not feel the same way, they are so certain that Toonami will fail because they're uninterested in it. These people don't bother reevaluating their opinions or looking for any concrete information about what Toonami's purpose really is as a programming block, what would actually make it successful or a failure, what really made Toonami shut down in 2008, etc., etc.. They don't question themselves and look for actual answers and yet they honestly believe they already have all the answers. It's such an annoyingly smug attitude and all because Toonami happens to not meet one's exact criteria as a "consumer".

Again, I'm fine if Toonami isn't for various people. It's just there's a difference between Toonami not being meant for someone and Toonami failing as a result of it not being meant for someone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1