• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 31-April 6

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
Congrats Madoka on achieving such phenomenal sales! Apparently 100K estimate from the stalker is actually an underestimation rather than overestimation! (I still haven't watch the third movie though, but I guess based on sales, at least for its reception in Japan, it's great)

With that sale, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if a sequel will be announced in the future.

Kill la Kill's sales are very consistent too.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
Damn, people really like Madoka, huh. I thought it was OK.

Good seeing Kill la Kill and Gundam Build Fighters in there though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
127K, damn. That's a lot of money.

But that "Limited" complete pressing has me scratching my head. They sold 127K copies of a "Limited" release? Doesn't seem very limited to me if you sell over 100,000 copies, but maybe that's just me.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:35 am Reply with quote
Madoka has a 147k first week, but with a box office of over 2Billion yen, its no surprise it would outsellf K-on! in its first week(140k).
Kreion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

But that "Limited" complete pressing has me scratching my head. They sold 127K copies of a "Limited" release? Doesn't seem very limited to me if you sell over 100,000 copies, but maybe that's just me.

Marketing is marketing - it likely is limited, but all production is limited in some aspects so it really means nothing. If you wanted to be accurate then you'd call it the madoka + bells and whistles version. Since normally what you pay for is the extra stuff you get on those versions (character commentary, art work etc.)
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

And people used to US pricing wonders why Aniplex USA does what it does...

I still haven't ruled out buying a copy for myself. While I didn't like where the franchise headed, Madoka still hits my sweet spot better than just about any other title.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Madoka has a 147k first week, but with a box office of over 2Billion yen, its no surprise it would outsellf K-on! in its first week(140k).

Well, K-ON was just the girls goofing off in England. It wasn't even a sequel, just a midquel. I'd hope that the continuation of a series that sold over twice as much per volume could also sell more of its big theatrical release, albeit it seems just barely for the first week.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
rederoin wrote:

Well, K-ON was just the girls goofing off in England. It wasn't even a sequel, just a midquel. I'd hope that the continuation of a series that sold over twice as much per volume could also sell more of its big theatrical release, albeit it seems just barely for the first week.

The K-on! movie and the madoka movie are actually rather close as far as box office numbers go(They are at 1# and 2# respectively for movies based on late-nigth tv anime).
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Much easier to convince people to spend three digits one time than once a month; also, K-ON is three times as long as Madoka so I'm sure there were more people that couldn't splurge for the K-ON singles...
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
Jesus, is KNK Kyoani's biggest flop?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

No, that was (undeservedly, in my opinion) Nichijou.
xikara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting much to begin with but I found Rebellion really good. Glad I'm not the only one. Now Shaft, use that money and gimme a sequel.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

You're misusing the word 'flop' here.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
xikara wrote:
I wasn't expecting much to begin with but I found Rebellion really good. Glad I'm not the only one. Now Shaft, use that money and gimme a sequel.

Why in the world would they make a sequel? I mean spoiler[They literally made Madoka and Homura the avatars of good and evil]. Anything beyond this point would feel forced.

rederoin wrote:
v1cious wrote:

You're misusing the word 'flop' here.

Judging by those numbers, I'm pretty sure I'm not.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
I thought I could not be surprised anymore by the devotion of Japanese otaku, but almost 150k is a lot of Madoka movies sold. I expected 80-90k for the first week, but I am glad I was wrong.

This success makes me wonder if the next Madoka project will also be a movie. I was hoping for another TV series, but I am fine with either direction Aniplex takes, as long as the new material continues to be of high quality.

Also, I am happy that Kill la Kill continues to do well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3