• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Offers Character Figurines That Interact With Wii U, 3DS

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Hm, interesting. So, Nintendo is going the Skylanders route.

Honestly, I wonder why Nintendo hasn't done more of this, sooner. They touted Augmented Reality as one of the "big things" for the 3DS, but so few games use it: Bravely Default has a few cut-scenes that use the gyroscope to give you a much bigger picture, and the Kid Icarus game had a card game, but... that was it. This sounds like a fun idea: it's worked for Activision, and it's worked for Disney, so let's see what Nintendo can do with it.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
The multi-platform/software approach is the most exciting aspect for me. Full of creative possibilities, and suggests that a 'Smash-Bros. RPG' (for lack of a better term) is well on the cards. Hopefully the Big N utilise the possibilities this gives them rather than exploring it a little then disregarding it as they have done with several of their more interesting ideas over the past 2 decades...
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
I can't say I'm completely surprised. After all, Disney Interactive is making money hand-over-fist with Infitity, so of course Nintendo wants in on that market.

I just don't understand the appeal of these games, beyond the catch-'em-all quality of the figures. Infinity seems horribly dul as a gamel - sure, you can build anything you want, so long as you pay up and do whatever little tasks the game wants to unlock stuff. It just seems cheaper and more fun to take up Minecraft, which kids also love.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Japan's been utilizing NFC for arcades and other toys long before Skylanders was a thing. This is no big surprise.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Kinda funny that there was a story that Activision originally offered to partner with Nintendo when first Skylanders was in development in 2011. But Nintendo didn't go through with it and never gave a reason as to why.

Although now they're jumping on the NFC band wagon with their own mascot characters.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This seems a little... Late. Is the Skylanders fad still growing or has it been tapering off?
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It's growing - Disney Interactive lately announced they made a quick $200+ million, mostly from Infinity, and every game shop around here has at least a couple of shelves of Skylanders figures or Infinity packs.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah, why not. Heck, Infinity is so successful that Disney Interactive is finally profitable - it's their main franchise now. (Disney actually has its best earning quarter ever, blowing passed Wall St expectations, with all 5 main divisions profitable.) Obviously shows this gimmick could work very well on home console consumers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1