• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you have an anime itch that isn't being scratched enough lately?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
For me it would be really solid horror titles. Stuff like Highschool of the Dead, Another, When They Cry, Shiki, Corpse Party: Twisted Souls. You know, stuff that is gory, atmospheric and, in some cases, kind of Westernized to a certain extent (as opposed to being classically Japanese horror, like say, Requiem from the Darkness - which I dug, by the way).

I'd love to see more of those kinds of titles. Do you have a certain kind of show that you're not seeing as much of as you'd like?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I want to see an anime that focuses entirely on making cosplay and lolita outfits. I'd watch the hell out of that.

We have a show about different types of panties so I don't think that's too much to ask for. :/
Bango

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Horror anime is always so rare. I heard more Yami Shibai is coming. It was hit-or-miss but I think it was solid overall. So at least you'll get some scratching. I too miss good anime horror. It's high time they animated Frankenfran. I remember the first time I saw Petshop of Horrors and the first ep actually creeped me out. Genocyber did too but it was just the dissection scene since I'd just dissected a guy in school that same day.

For my itch... oh? Are you all expecting me to say Mecha Musume, Demon Girls or a proper Dragon Girl to make up for Eco? Well surprise. I want my hot-blooded sports anime based on mecha caber toss.
scineram

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For me it would be really solid horror titles. Stuff like Highschool of the Dead, Another, When They Cry, Shiki, Corpse Party: Twisted Souls.

Wasn't HSoTD a comedy? Anyway, no anime freaked the fudge out of me yet like Shin Sekai Yori, or even came close. So there's that.
Alberto7

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Not really 'itches' per se, but I'd like to see more of these at some point:

I've always dug the more philosophical type (albeit taking it to Lain levels has proven to be just a little too much Laughing). You can throw in cyberpunk sci-fi (Ergo Proxy), political banter (Ghost in the Shell), slice of life (Haibane Renmei), or anything else with it; I'll most likely enjoy it. However, with the current airing of Mushishi's second season I have that base almost covered. I just wished it came out at a higher rate than once a week. Laughing

I also love semi-realistic, historically accurate anime. Admittedly, I haven't checked out much outside of Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo, and part of Shigurui (never finished it. Will have to come back to it). Bakumatsu-related anime can get quite interesting. Somehow, the Fate series somewhat satisfied that itch with their Servants concept, but the realism and historical accuracy of it weren't exactly... well... real or accurate, Laughing so it was a bit of a strange case for me.

Related to the last point, anything that accurately depicts the Japanese lifestyle and belief system during the pre-Meiji era, particularly the Edo period. I find the folklore from that era extremely interesting, so anything that shows that I'll enjoy. These two related 'itches' were what prompted me to read Shogun by James Clavell, even though it has nothing to do with anime. Laughing

Some more hard sci-fi a la Planetes. There probably is, but I haven't seen anything else that's quite like it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
@ Alberto7 - I don't know if you've checked out Moonlight Mile or its sequel but it is somewhat in the Planetes style of hard, near future SF. It is more of an action story, however, so it does take more liberties with credibility than Planetes did.

@ scineram - HotD did have comedic elements, but it was very much a horror series as well and one of the most Westernized I've ever seen. I've seen a good chunk of From the New World and liked it (I'll see the rest when Sentai releases a complete collection) but I consider that more of an SF title even though it has horror elements. It's not the trashy, gorefest horror experience I'm talking about.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
I guess there is not much at the moment with gracious gore, nudity and horror. Although there is Black Bullet, I guess that is not doing it. Sidonia might have got there if its animation allowed it. Gokukoku no Brynhildr has to be close?

But you want Corpse party? Now who is the child torture loving "freak". (jk, I am not actually trying to offend, but call back that my love of psychological unrest in underage people is being met this season)

I guess maybe could be using more hot-blooded awesomeness, something Fairy Tail should have met, but it has felt a bit low key. In a sense it is almost being fixed with hikikomori siblings playing games.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying Brynhildr a lot and it definitely has horror aspects (or things that are horrific, I guess) but it still isn't quite the horror thing I'm looking for. I see it more as a "fighting" show where people with special powers battle each other as opposed to a horror title.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Brynhildr brings a good point. I guess what I'd be looking for to fulfil my bloodlust would need to be an OVA series since it'd likely be censored to hell and back otherwise.

I also wouldn't mind a series with magical girls who are older than usual, but I've only known, like 4 to do that.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I would say I have one more major itch and one more minor itch. The minor itch being horror anime. Now let me clarify, when I say horror I do not mean a title that claims it's horror but spends half it's time being a harem, a comedy, etc. I mean a good ole fashioned scary thrill ride. Doom and gloom folks. There are some good ones that come out every so often but I wish there were more. The big itch is I wish there were more cyber punk science fiction shows. I grew up watching shows like Battle Angel Alita and similar shows. I must have seen the original Ghost in the Shell movie dozens of times.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll also note that cyberpunk and horror go together really well. So hopefully you get your wish two-birds-one-stone style.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Would certainly be nice. While not horror Tehxnolyze certainly was dark and had the cyber punk feel to it. If we could cross say...Battle Angel Alita with Requiem from the Darkness or Hell Girl that would be nice. Common Japan, make it happen!
Bango

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Cyberpunk makes great horror IMO because of the uncanny valley and/or fear of the uncertain.

"What's up with that guy? He looks normal but he has metal rods coming from the back of his neck. What are those rods for? Does he mean to have them or is he a victim? He looks kind of malnourished and pale too. And are those goggles surgically attached to his face? Oh crap he noticed me! Run!"

I love that type of horror. Where you have to take a minute to soak in and process what you're seeing.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
I'd be up for more cyberpunk and hard scifi, preferably with adult casts and fairly serious storylines. Which reminds me that I should get around to watching Psycho Pass...

My mecha itch hasn't been getting scratched lately. Sure, there have consistently been at least some mecha shows shows each season, but my tastes tend to run towards either boisterous, over the top Super Robot shows (TTGL, GaoGaiGar, Getter Robo etc) or 'realistic' Real Robot shows (Gasaraki, FLAG) and there haven't many of either lately.
dlm

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
i want to see an anime where a guy has to make A / B / C decisions about dating his younger sister and also they are mecha who play badminton. i think that would cover all of the bases

(this is DRIPPING SARCASM as a result of being unhappy with the current crop of crap)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5