• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Space Adventure Cobra Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
I love the way that Cobra opens; with a schlubby guy with a boring job looking for some cheap entertainment...who discovers by being hooked up to a machine which induces dreams that he's really the biggest badass in the universe who deliberately wiped his own memory.

It's like it's openly admitting the whole thing is a silly masculine fantasy. It's a clever way of establishing the tongue-in-cheek tone. It would be been too much, but I would have laughed if the series ended with him waking up back in the dream parlor.
Bingal

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
My biggest guilty please.

Yes, it's sexist and chauvinistic, the main character is a big Gary Stu and the entire thing is littered with silly plot contrivances. But I love it so damn much. There's something extremely charming about this pulpy goodness.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to disagree about the opening song being unmemorable, as it's easily one of my favorite anime opening songs!
configspace

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nozomi Entertainment is releasing the first 15 episodes in a four disc DVD set with the original 4:3 aspect ratio intact. The video transfer is usually impressively sharp for the series' age, although many spots throughout the series have blurry streaks across the screen.

I really wish Nozomi/RS would start releasing blu-rays, because the BDs for this look even better!
Glad to hear about the extras though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I really wish Nozomi/RS would start releasing blu-rays, because the BDs for this look even better!
Glad to hear about the extras though.

I wish they hadn't scrubbed the grain so aggressively, but it could have been much worse.
goral

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
− Has a mildly chauvinistic bent,

How is that a bad thing O_O? You have too much progesterone in you.
SAC is one of the best anime I've seen, well worth the money.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I love the way that Cobra opens; with a schlubby guy with a boring job looking for some cheap entertainment...who discovers by being hooked up to a machine which induces dreams that he's really the biggest badass in the universe who deliberately wiped his own memory.

That was almost certainly inspired by Philip K Dick's We Can Remember It for You Wholesale [later adapted as Total Recall], which had a very similar setup.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I bought this on a whim after checking out the trailer and not knowing much about it. After reading this review I'll have to move it up in my backlog, it (luckily) sounds really good.
I enjoyed reading this review, but I'm not sure how an extra can be a negative though since it has little to no bearing on the content of the release.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Rumbler: They share the same premise, but it's pretty clear that certain action scenes in Total Recall were 'inspired' by Cobra. Verhoeven would've been aware of Cobra when he was living in Europe, too. Plus, his previous work, Robocop, was already being compared to another anime, 8-Man.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
A We Can Remember It for You Wholesale inspired anime starring a character who inspired Vash the Stampede? Definitely putting this on my list. Cool
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
Knoep: I think Cobra's more likely to have inspired Bebop and Space Dandy.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Rumbler: They share the same premise, but it's pretty clear that certain action scenes in Total Recall were 'inspired' by Cobra.

Such as. . .? And I want specifics if you're going to make this claim.

Or, you know, it's just possible that it was drawing directly from the same source material that Cobra was. (To argue that Cobra doesn't have some distinct similarities in premise to Philip K. Dick's much earlier work would be ludicrous.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Rumbler: They share the same premise, but it's pretty clear that certain action scenes in Total Recall were 'inspired' by Cobra. Verhoeven would've been aware of Cobra when he was living in Europe, too. Plus, his previous work, Robocop, was already being compared to another anime, 8-Man.

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale is from 1966, which is what I am directly referring to. Mentioning Total Recall [which came out in 1990] was because most people probably haven't heard of the original story.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah I got a few friends to watch this for our livestream and we were all wondering why it had a Total Recal vibe.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Key: Well, for example, that scene where Ahnie is trying to escape an underground burrowing machine? Was an episode in Cobra. Cool

Quote:
(To argue that Cobra doesn't have some distinct similarities in premise to Philip K. Dick's much earlier work would be ludicrous.)

I'm reading the summary of 'Wholesale, and other than the initial similar beginnings, it seems to go in a different direction than Cobra.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu May 29, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 8 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2