• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest VIII Released in N. America for iOS

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone want to play this game on their phone. just get it for ps2. Where is Dragon Quest 7 for 3ds?? Where is DQ 10 for Wii U?
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Why would anyone want to play this game on their phone. just get it for ps2. Where is Dragon Quest 7 for 3ds?? Where is DQ 10 for Wii U?
I certainly would prefer DQ8 on the 3DS or the Vita. I still might get the IOS version if it drops in price. I enjoyed the game when it first came out on PS2, but I would like to get through more of my backlog of unplayed games before replaying it though.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:

some of us don't have a ps2... also my gaming time is mostly on public transport.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. I just read the IOS port doesn't have the voice acting from the PS2 version. That is a pity.
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
The android version is on Google Play and is $19.99. The English version on iOS and Android is based on the original Japanese version. The English version on PS2 added voiceovers, new menu designs, new moves, etc. The English version moble is based on the Japanese mobile port...THAT is why there are no voiceovers.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Not having a PS2 should be a crime.

Anyway, I guess it's cool that it's on ios. I do wish there was a Vita or 3DS port. I like playing portables on actual dedicated game systems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:44 am Reply with quote
DranzerX13 wrote:
The android version is on Google Play and is $19.99. The English version on iOS and Android is based on the original Japanese version. The English version on PS2 added voiceovers, new menu designs, new moves, etc. The English version moble is based on the Japanese mobile port...THAT is why there are no voiceovers.

Oh well then screw that.

The Japanese menu design for DQ hasn't changed since DQ1, and I can see why they'd want that for their own market, but the US menus were just so much better. And if I recall the alchemy part was really menu heavy. Then again maybe the old fashioned menus would work better for mobile devices...

Also I could care less about the voices, but what I would miss is the orchestral score that was in the US version. All the music was recorded by a live orchestra while the Japanese version just had bad midi as usual.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Ugh. I just read the IOS port doesn't have the voice acting from the PS2 version. That is a pity.
Well, original japanese PS2 version was without voices anyway.
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Where is Dragon Quest 7 for 3ds??

This so much. I've been waiting for DQ7 for a long time now. Gettin real tired of your shit SE.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:

Because most people carry a phone and not a 3DS or vita around? I carry my phone every where and it's nice to have games like this while on the road.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Wooga +Pinda: Dragon Quest VII bombed here, because casual gamers were stuck-up about its graphics not being on the same level as a Final Fantasy game; so there's no incentive for SQ'Enix to bring it back. It was probably the last 16-bit-era RPG I loved and played the hell out of, though, so I feel for you. But at least you can get used copies of the PS game.

Also, yeah, the dub really made a difference for DQ 8. And I don't entirely think memory is the issue as much as they don't wanna pay the voice actors any royalties.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
The Japanese release didn't have any of the extra stuff for the overseas version in the original PS2 version(voice acting, orchestrated music, interface changes, etc). SE would have to redo to port the overseas version for iOS, but its much cheaper to just use the already ported Japanese iOS version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1