• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunaga Concerto (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote

Nobunaga Concerto (TV)

Genres: drama
Themes: historical

Plot Summary: The story centers around Saburou, a high school boy who time-travels to Japan's Sengoku Era. He must become Nobunaga Oda, the famed warlord who helps unite Japan.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
I thought the first episode was alright. They really captured the historical atmosphere well with the OST. spoiler[Saburou is quite the ladies man. Asking a girl on a date already? Wink]

The ending was pretty intense too. I think this could be a decent watch. I'm not a big fan of the animation much yet though. ED song is great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote

Just seen it.
Damn, that spoiler[Saburou is a baka.
Didn't think the animation would bother me.
Still, it was pretty unusual and takes some getting used to.
It's not that bad, it actually kinda fits the surroundings/the story.
What did bother me were the movements of the characters.
The "new" Nobunaga sure gave them a run for their money LOL
Saburou just might fix things for the real Nobunaga..]

Will give this a few more episodes before I decide.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
It certainly is a funny idea to think Nobunaga was such a colorful character because he came from the future.

I always like characters designs and animation styles that are a bit off the beaten track, but so far, these character designs seem not too capable of conveying a whole lot of emotion. Hopefully this will change when growing accustomed to them. The horse chase scene was also kind of weird, animation wise. But the ED looks visually promising.

Miyano is definitely the right choice for the part.

And now we know why we should always pay attention in history class.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
All the Nobunaga story is getting boring. They should make anime about the Mongol empire or Genghis Khan as a girl lol. I mean they were the bloodiest empire, largest contiguous land empire in history, ruled China for over 90 years, ruled Russia for over 250 years.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Saburo enjoying himself on his dates.
On the other hand his subordinates are worried.
His actions are rash and unusual and that bothers them.
Looks like his wife likes this change quite a lot.
Saburo sure used a lot of his junk food this time.
Well, that gave his closest people new experience in life.
Shame about Hirate..
Good episode.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I think I'm the only one, but I really like how this looks. I'm enjoying the story so far as well. I suspect it will be a bit more historically accurate than all the other recent versions. Can't wait to see how they handle Ranmaru in this. >.>

Oddly enough, from when I first started watching anime with Oda as a character (I think Samurai Deeper Kyo was my first?), up till now, Nobunaga seems to have undergone a rehabilitation from the Sixth Demon King villain of everything he was in, to being the savior of Japan (ok, I think he's still the villain in Sengoku Basura). It's interesting how one personage can have such widely variant views on his role in history. Smile
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This is developing quite nicely. If only the character designs were capable of expressing more emotion. I really like the look and designs, but they seem too static and painting-like most of the time, especially the eyes. Luckily, the voice work is very lively and does a good job at compensating.

I wonder what's going to happen with the real Nobunaga. Will he just stay hidden and observe to take over if/once Saburou returns to his timeline (maybe just in time for Honnou-ji, although we'd have to cover a lot of years in that case)? Will he become so repulsed by Nobunaga/Saburou spoiler[burning temples] and what else will come down the road that maybe even he, himself, will feel obligated to become involved in spoiler[planning the attack with Mitsuhide]? But then, there's no voice actor listed for Mitsuhide (yet). So, maybe we will leave the story at an earlier point, then. Time travelling aside, the show seems to take it's history rather seriously, so I doubt Nobunaga spoiler[will live].

Also, Hideyoshi is really scary. It's hard to imagine this character loyally joining the Oda. Will he just pretend to? Will he, as some historians speculate, be aware of Honnou-ji in the making? I kind of hope we will get to that point in the story...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Is actual history a spoiler? Seems kinda like writing, "I wonder if Washington will spoiler[survive Valley Forge] in this adaptation." Smile

I certainly did not see that coming re spoiler[Dousan]. It took me a few beats to realize what was going on before the duh! moment. Not only was it funny, but it raised a whole bunch of interesting questions. I hope at least some of them get answered.

I don't care if people think their expressions are limited due to the CG (except as it affects viewership and sales, since I want this to go on for awhile), they certainly wrung enough emotion out of those scenes for me.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is actual history a spoiler? Seems kinda like writing, "I wonder if Washington will spoiler[survive Valley Forge] in this adaptation." Smile

spoiler[But he didn't. One day in January 1778 he sneaked out of the camp to build a snowman and was shot in the back by a friendly. Poor chap thought he was a British spy. The officers didn't want to get Horatio Gates as the commander and found a doppelganger by the name of Samuel S. Schmickle. The hardest part was to convince Martha that it's still her husband, they told her that he's a bit off from the frost.

Incidentally the doppelganger was a better military commander.]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
No one seems to be paying much attention to the show because the odd looks and awkward animation pushed lots of people away, but it's actually one of my favorites of the season. Saburo is very likable and Miyano's performance is stellar. They're also focusing on events around Nobunaga's life that don't get visited often (if at all) in other adaptations, and I find it quite informative and entertaining. Tspoiler[he scene of Saburou hugging Kichou at the end was very emotional and beautifully executed, and the revelations about Dousan added a new edge to Saburo's adventure], I'm really looking forward to how this will develop
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I just hope he doesn't run into a lot more people like Dousan. Or any. This could get stupid really fast if they don't handle that with great care.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Since Nobunaga spoiler[surviving Honnouji] in anime is not unheard of, it may be spoiler-worthy, specially with the spoiler[small change in history that Saburou made in this episode], I don't think it's out of the question.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
True, but revealing that a series changed history would be the spoiler, not the history itself. And merely speculating on whether they'll change a particular historical event doesn't seem like spoilage either.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Since Nobunaga spoiler[surviving Honnouji] in anime is not unheard of, it may be spoiler-worthy, specially with the spoiler[small change in history that Saburou made in this episode], I don't think it's out of the question.

I'll point out that the Battle of Okehazama spoiler[really did take place in Dengakuhazama]. So Saburou didn't actually spoiler[change anything].

spoiler[Okay, I admit it, I totally had to look that up on Wikipedia.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I'll point out that the Battle of Okehazama spoiler[really did take place in Dengakuhazama]. So Saburou didn't actually spoiler[change anything].

spoiler[Okay, I admit it, I totally had to look that up on Wikipedia.]

yeah, they didn't change history. That viper of mino did die. Battle of Okehazam did happen and in the same location. The result is probably going to be the same. The detail doesn't matter, it's not the history book wrote down all the detail.

The young Nobunaga was a fool, check. Atleast people called him a fool.

Nobunaga liked western stuffs, check. he used alot of western technology in his battles, worn European clothes and he tried to open up Japan to western countries for trade. Only later his Tokugawa closed Japan to the outside world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2