• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Career Choices

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
So Joker's the place to go if you want a solid Alice in the Country of...story with some plot development, huh? I read an Alice book years ago and was intrigued by the alternate take on Wonderland and the mystery around Alice's memories and her missing sister...but since then, so many Alice manga have come out involving side plots and fluff that I forgot which one I originally read and had no idea where to jump back in to get some plot resolution. These multimedia crossover manga series can get so confusing, but I think this one might be worth it. Are the artist/s the same in every version of AitCo? I remember loving the art of the volume I picked up at the library...

I remember that episode of Tiger & Bunny! Good stuff! Does the manga basically rehash the anime in terms of plot?

Lollipop sounds like an great mix of shojo melodrama and comedy. Why didn't I learn French when I was a baby and it was easy?! Laughing
I took my dream trip with my father to his native Paris this year, and insisted that we spend some time in Book-Off. It is a treasure chest of manga and some anime! I was surprised at how much anime and manga is in France. I knew they had a big fandom there, but...they have anime on TV! On weeknights! I saw Fairy Tail, Naruto (including the latest movie, Road to Ninja, which isn't available in English on disc yet), and Queen's Blade (!). I also caught a bit of the live-action Cromartie High School movie, dubbed in French. There was a Japanese language learning program and Jpop videos. They also have a channel seemingly devoted to video game music videos, like the kind people put up on Youtube, which is just weird.

I picked up some voiumes of manga at the Book-Off--Princess Jellyfish, Silver Spoon, and Space Brothers. I wish I could read them! Or, hell, Paris is awesome! I wish I could just get an apartment there and live there half a year or something. The bakery alone would make it worth it! Very Happy
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So Joker's the place to go if you want a solid Alice in the Country of...story with some plot development, huh? I read an Alice book years ago and was intrigued by the alternate take on Wonderland and the mystery around Alice's memories and her missing sister...but since then, so many Alice manga have come out involving side plots and fluff that I forgot which one I originally read and had no idea where to jump back in to get some plot resolution. These multimedia crossover manga series can get so confusing, but I think this one might be worth it. Are the artist/s the same in every version of AitCo? I remember loving the art of the volume I picked up at the library...

If you were reading it years ago, maybe it was the original Alice in the Country of Hearts series released by Tokyopop or Yen Press? (TP didn't finish before going out of business, but Yen brought it back in three omnibus volumes.) It has a more general, overall approach to the story than many of the spinoffs SevenSeas publishes (which are often focused on specific guys). It is a different artist (Soumei Hoshino) than any of the SS ones, although I've read a couple earlier books that were drawn by the artist of Circus and Liar's Game (Mamenosuke Fujimaru), and the art was pretty good in those as well.

(also—in talking about the spinoffs, I use the subtitles (like "Circus and Liar's Game") because there can be multiple series set in any of the worlds— there are at least three other Joker books in Japan by the same publisher, but different artist and single volumes.)
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review of Lollipop! Sounds like perfect summer-time reading, and all seven volumes are still available from amazon.fr, so I've placed an order.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:

If you were reading it years ago, maybe it was the original Alice in the Country of Hearts series released by Tokyopop or Yen Press? (TP didn't finish before going out of business, but Yen brought it back in three omnibus volumes.) It has a more general, overall approach to the story than many of the spinoffs SevenSeas publishes (which are often focused on specific guys). It is a different artist (Soumei Hoshino) than any of the SS ones, although I've read a couple earlier books that were drawn by the artist of Circus and Liar's Game (Mamenosuke Fujimaru), and the art was pretty good in those as well.

(also—in talking about the spinoffs, I use the subtitles (like "Circus and Liar's Game") because there can be multiple series set in any of the worlds— there are at least three other Joker books in Japan by the same publisher, but different artist and single volumes.)

The franchise is even more confusing than I thought! Yeah, I probably read the first couple volumes of Alice in the Country of Hearts. Does that version tell a complete story, or must one read a few of the offshoot manga to get the whole picture? For some reason, libraries (or at least, the ones in my vicinity) are less likely to acquire manga from Seven Seas than from other manga publishers, so would I be a bit lost unless I was able to buy all the Seven Seas stuff?
Three Joker books, wow!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Alice in the Country of Hearts and Alice in the Country of Clover: Cheshire Cat Waltz both tell a complete story; neither give AS complete a story as Circus and Liar's Game. Anything that isn't one of those three does not tell a complete story - for example, Bloody Twins assumes you know all of the main story and is just giving you a different romance, like replaying the game to get a different ending. Basically, if you read any of the main story titles - the three I listed first - you'll be totally fine and get a whole story. (Oh god, that's probably still confusing...)

@PingSoni

You're welcome! I wish it got more attention - I bought volumes one and two on a whim when I was ordering some books (I use bdnet.com) and just threw in the first two volumes on a whim. It was definitely one of my better impulses!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1