• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your thoughts on "American" anime?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CosmicRage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/03/22/video-exclusive-premiere-of-rooster-teeths-anime-style-rwby-black-trailer

So the above link is an anime inspired project going on by RoosterTeeth. I have never really been a huge fan of the cel shaded 3D artwork style, but it made me curious to what others thought of the American anime (for lack of a better term) movement. Avatar and Korra are both kinda American since they are created here but they are animated in Korea and other shows starting the anime look or inspired look as well.

Do any of these things make you more interested or disintrested in the whole concept of american anime even?

That and I am working on my own project and I am interested to hear what you all have to say. This isn't meant to be a thread of differences in american vs japanese animation at all or the "anime" label. It's kind of an overarching discussion of why you watch certain things, if anything.

[EDIT: Put anime in quotations marks because I know for a fact that an argument will later ensue about its semantics, and doing this now will only get it out of the way. -TK]
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
So before this does devolve into it's not anime vs. it is; or there's no such thing as [insert country name besides Japan]-anime, I have to say I am impressed. Personally, since Japan seems to have an aversion to anime with an obvious 3D CG look, someone or some country that has no such aversion to pull it off well is something I'd like to see be successful.

CG-style aside, nothing of a Western creation I've ever come across that's anime-inspired or Japan-inspired has pushed the limits of emulating the visual cues, style and character designs as much as this project does. Whether that's a good thing is up to individual interpretation. I like what I see and I want to see more.
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
I really like the look of RWBY. I would be perfectly fine with "American Anime."

Only thing that irked me was the lack of emotions and voice acting in the recent black trailer.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
So additional initial impressions I have is a concern whether this is just going to be all style with no substance. American animation, by going the route of anime-inspired, I still feel needs to break the boundaries of it's just another kid's cartoon or it's a violent show that happens to be animated.

Fortunately the music in all the trailers I watched seems pretty righteous. So if it fails the substance litmus test, I can just call them extravagant anime music videos.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
The voice acting in Black did seem a bit disappointing. But then again, it's only a trailer. I have faith in Monty and Rooster Teeth to do this correctly. After all, they have many years of success on their resume with both voice acting and story creation.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty psyched to see what RWBY is going to be all about once it actually releases.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
What exactly is RWYB? I saw the trailers. Is it going to be one story or 4 separate stories with the 4 girls?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
That voice acting is fandub-tier. Then again aren't these the guys who made those Halo videos a long time ago? They're not really a real studio I guess and just a bunch of guys.

Anyway, it'd be great if American animation learned from anime, but the problem is they all either fall into the category of 'short internet video things' like this, or 'cartoon aimed exclusively at little kids' like the stuff on TV. There is no western equivalent of the otaku market for this kind of stuff to thrive in in any real form. If you air your show on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, you're still bound by their standards and marketing standards so any kind of broken limits or boundaries they can learn from anime can't really be utilized. If "American anime" got past that limit I would probably find it more appealing. It's a shame because if you've ever seen their live-action shows; like say iCarly and Victorious, they seem to be able to get away with a lot more than cartoons can. Odd how all that blood, violence, and sex is okay if it happens with actual people, but if it happens to a cartoon it's more taboo. Or maybe Dan Schneider has made Nickelodeon enough money he can pretty much do whatever he pleases around that place.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
^Rooster Teeth is very much a studio now. Yes, back in the early days of RvB they were just a few guys in an apartment, but they've come quite a ways from there. RvB is still ongoing and still being made by those same guys, this is what it looks like now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrbiH1IxOQ

Now, as for RWBY and my impressions of 'American/Western anime'. Straight up and out the gate, I'm not willing to put the anime label on anything that does not fit the standard definition of anime as recognized by ANN.

Even if you make a series which is visually anime-like, that does not make it any closer to an anime than any other western animation is, because aside from the way it looks all the other elements of the production are still going to be inherently western. So, that said, making a western animation which is anime looking is not something which attracts me to looking into it, rather I would be more turned off the idea.

RWBY is something of an exception to the above rule, but my interest is in no way stemming from the fact that it has an anime look. I know RT well, and RWBY's visual style is rather unique, so I'm interested in it because of that. But in general, I would rather not see animation companies trying to push non-anime products at anime fandom.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
most american animations are aimed at middle school kids so...

if you separate that from walt disney and such, you are not left with much

kungfu panda is good.

crap like 'the new thundercats' and that 'boondock crap' should air on fox instead.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
I've heard this "definition" of anime thrown around a lot. From what I can tell it boils down to the fact that it has to come out of Japan. It seems odd to me that the definition of a medium is restricted in such a seemingly arbitrary way. At what point does something not become anime? What if a bunch of guys from a Japanese animation studio that we all agree make anime decide to move to America or Europe or something, and they make the same sort of anime there? Is it not anime anymore?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:50 am Reply with quote
See?

Scytalle wrote:
I've heard this "definition" of anime thrown around a lot. From what I can tell it boils down to the fact that it has to come out of Japan. It seems odd to me that the definition of a medium is restricted in such a seemingly arbitrary way. At what point does something not become anime? What if a bunch of guys from a Japanese animation studio that we all agree make anime decide to move to America or Europe or something, and they make the same sort of anime there? Is it not anime anymore?
I think the "has to come out of Japan" reasoning is justified by the fact that the development of the visual style we commonly identify as anime came out of Japan (yet largely influenced by Western art). So someone who is not Japanese who would draw characters naturally, rather than deliberately copy a typical anime style, they would not look like anime characters.

I am of the position that if it looks like anime then it's anime (so no need to call it "American" anime) but also recognize the style is a Japanese invention (mostly). So an anime produced entirely by a group of Americans (none of which are even Asian-Americans, for example) is an emulation or imitative rendering. Still anime, just with that additional descriptor. I've never heard that the Japanese themselves as having sole stake in "the anime look." Heck even a Japanese person drawing anime characters is just copying a certain degree of design aesthetics created by someone else, so that's also an imitation. The difference is, that person is Japanese.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
I believe that the definition could change if Americans (or others) started doing a lot more of these anime styled cartoons. But as of now there hasn't been that many. Even Avatar: The Last Airbender made a bit of a compromise, its style sort of combined anime and American cartoon. It wasn't trying to be anime, it was trying to appeal to anime fans aswell. So unless Americans (or others) make a show that's aimed at Otakus, these American creations will stay as cartoons.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:15 am Reply with quote
Let's avoid getting into the "what's anime and what's not" discussion, as that's been done to death. That's not the point of this thread; in fact, the OP is pretty clear that it isn't. Please restrict commentary to the original questions being asked and the video linked to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Khooni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:40 am Reply with quote
So this is a cartoon that looks like an anime.......I searched the whole internet for a clear cut description of RWBY!!!! they really ought to make a web page for it that explains stuff
TayyabZERO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
There is no such thing as "American Anime". The only reason Anime are called Anime is because they are made in Japan and were originally released in Japanese. anything outside of that is called Cartoon and must never be confused with Anime.
If America tries to copy Anime then it should be called "AnimeStyleCartoon" ACS for short and should not be put under the "AnimeList" title on Anime sites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 34