• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Blu-ray's 1st Day in Japan Tops Evangelion's All-Time Sales Record

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traveling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
This really is the golden age of animation.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Huh? It sold 600k+ combined BD and DVD. Not just BDs. There's no way that a combo pack should have any bearing in BD only sales.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
It came close to doubling Evangelion's totals for a whole week on the first day? My god, that's amazing. Can anyone stop this Frozen juggernaut?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, it certainly beat the shit out of Miyazaki.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Disney's animation always sell better than Japanese animation in japan. I'm comparing movie to movie.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I still don't see why people love this movie so much. Yeah, it's the best movie Disney has put out in a long time, but a slightly-above average movie in a sea of crap and almost watchable doesn't make it any better.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I think this also reflects the fact that anime in Japan is also a niche hobby. Anime disc sales can be toppled by more mainstream media, like popular Western movies.

I am not trying to dis anime. I am just saying that anime is not as gigantic in Japan as we might want to believe.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
I still don't see why people love this movie so much. Yeah, it's the best movie Disney has put out in a long time, but a slightly-above average movie in a sea of crap and almost watchable doesn't make it any better.

Elsa's hips. I don't know, maybe everyone is fooling themselves into thinking it's a better movie than it actually is, but it's certainly too late to stop now. I just hope it makes people more open to cartoons.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

Disney's on a pretty good streak right now. Ever since Lasseter took over things have been on a pretty positive swing for Disney animation. Wish they would switch back to 2D though. Leave the CGI to Pixar.
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Heck, I still don't understand the hype. I bought the BD and only watch first 10 minutes then fast forwarded to the last 10 minutes. Then I gave it away to my niece and she never watched it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Disney's on a pretty good streak right now. Ever since Lasseter took over things have been on a pretty positive swing for Disney animation. Wish they would switch back to 2D though. Leave the CGI to Pixar.

Didn't they already dismantle their 2D movie studios? Even if they hadn't the search for 2D animation talent these days will probably yield few strong results, all the animators grow up on learning 3D modeling. Besides, with PotF only doing marginally well and Pooh only barely making its production budget back, I doubt they'll even attempt 2D for a long while, even if it was there desire.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Meggido wrote:
Huh? It sold 600k+ combined BD and DVD. Not just BDs. There's no way that a combo pack should have any bearing in BD only sales.

True, it is a bit misleading to omit that fact. Disney movies generally are sold in combo packs and comparing them to stictly BD or DVD sales is a bit unfair.

angelmcazares wrote:
I am not trying to dis anime. I am just saying that anime is not as gigantic in Japan as we might want to believe.

That really only applies to the realm of movies. Television wise, anime is still far and above the dominate force by a landslide. American television animation in Japan is virtually unheard of.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I just hope it makes people more open to cartoons.

It's a Disney movie. Disney has already has a free pass in the mainstream audience in terms of animation being accepted. The problem lies with everything else being brushed to the side. It wont change anything, I'm afraid, which is why I have complete apathy when a Disney or Pixar movie does well. As much as I loath Korra and find it atrocious, it's success might have led to more story/action focused animation in the west. Unfortunately, that series is dead on arrival these days it seems. Things are not looking good.

-Stuart Smith
Maceart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Leave the 3DCG to Pixar? Brave was a piece of shit.

While Frozen was good, I personally felt Tangled was a better movie in terms of story and characters.

"Let it go" is still one of the best insert songs though.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I personally prefer Wreak-It Ralph of the latest crop. And yes Brave was the weakest Pixar film to date. But 'shit' is a serious over statement.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think this also reflects the fact that anime in Japan is also a niche hobby. Anime disc sales can be toppled by more mainstream media, like popular Western movies.

Anime is quite gigantic in Japan, it's just you're looking in the wrong place. Most of Japan's animators focus on television. Most of the animated movies which come out in Japan are the annual movie entries for Pokemon, Naruto, One Piece, Doraemon, Shin-chan, Detective Conan, Pretty Cure and similar franchises. Very few stand-alone animation movies are produced in Japan outside of Ghibli's work, and most of those are very esoteric experimental films like Short Piece or Patema Inverted, neither of which would appeal to Frozen's demographic.. It's just a matter of where the animators are working.

Last edited by Guile on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4