Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Preview Almost All New Shonen Jump Series from Japan


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 11500
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Well that's interesting. I'm kinda curious to see what those two new series will be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Яeverse



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 816
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
So Illegal Rare must be ending in either the next issues or the one after than then. Wonder if another series would end to make way for one of the two other new series or if those one shot slots would be used for the new series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boznia



Joined: 28 Aug 2005
Posts: 189
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
So Illegal Rare must be ending in either the next issues or the one after than then. Wonder if another series would end to make way for one of the two other new series or if those one shot slots would be used for the new series.

WSJ aims to have 20 series per issue. On rare occasions it can be as low as 18 or as high as 22, but it's usually 19-21 series. Currently the magazine has 20. I'm guessing WSJ will run 21 series because Togashi has been taking weeks off during his current serialization of Hunter x Hunter, and they'll end 2 series instead of 3 because of this. Illegal Rare seems like a lock to end. As for the other series, maybe one of the newest 3 series tanked and it'll end. While I don't read Kuroko anymore, I've heard it could be close to ending. I don't know how close though.

As for the news, as a Viz WSJ subscriber, I like this. Hopefully we'll get to vote or something on which of the new series we like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shadowsythe13



Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 78
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Please a new battle shonen manga series like similar to naruto, bleach, buso renkin, psyren but not like dbz, toriko, one piece. A series can be interesting
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
medama_oyaji



Joined: 05 May 2013
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! This must be in response to the issue we've been seeing where it's hard to predict what new series will stick, and by the time one becomes clearly popular in Japan, it's too far behind to put in the English version. Too bad that we missed that recent sumo series. It seems like it may be doing well in the polls, and I'd like to read it!

It would be great if the English-speaking fans had some say in what new series stick around, but even if not, this will be cool!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14426
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
medama: I think it's more like they took my advice about giving WSJ more variety in the form of sneak previews. These are likely titles which we aren't likely to get published in print here, but which add some diversity to the overall lineup. Though I was thinking more along the lines of older manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Cetais



Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 498
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
shadowsythe13 wrote:
Please a new battle shonen manga series like similar to naruto, bleach, buso renkin, psyren but not like dbz, toriko, one piece. A series can be interesting
Did you checked World Trigger? It's like Naruto and Bleach, since it feel a bit bland with cool characters and a story line a bit boring.

Seriously, it's not that bad, it's actually quite decent.

Naruto Bleach and One Piece are currently monopolizing places for a battle manga, since Toriko's rating is quietly dropping and World Trigger isn't doing well.

There's World Trigger's anime airing this fall, which may help to boost WT a bit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ohoni



Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Posts: 3421
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Very cool, I've been wanting this from US Jump for a while now. I'm sure I won't love a lot of the series, but there have been at least a few back in the day that were really good but didn't really last. It's nice to be able to get a chance on the ground floor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Adventure



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 1598
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
Oh good. When Stealth Symphony ended things have been feeling a bit plain and samey lately. This should liven things up a bit.

When they say 'first three chapters' do they mean they'll keep publishing them if the reader response is good?


Make sure you fill out your survey's kids!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3686
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
Almost all new titles?

Going by Shokugeki no Soma I think I have a good idea of what will be excluded Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marvel knight



Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Posts: 96
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Almost all new titles?

Going by Shokugeki no Soma I think I have a good idea of what will be excluded Laughing


Most probably , only sport or really weird titles will be excluded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4377
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Almost all new titles?

Going by Shokugeki no Soma I think I have a good idea of what will be excluded Laughing


My friend showed me that and I am still shocked that it was a goddamn kid's manga in Japan. And that they let a known hentai artist draw said kid's manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Somewhere



Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 338
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Yea, my first kneejerk reaction is 'huh, it's already time for the next cancellation round?'

After that, it's: I like this initiative a lot.
We probably still won't really impact a series' survival, but hopefully this means we get direct voice on what to keep on our side for however long it lives. I'll be plenty happy enough to get the entire ride of any additional series, as short* and sweet as it may be.

*given how stacked the current WSJ lineup is, odds are really quite long for any new series to hang around :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
Awesome! This must be in response to the issue we've been seeing where it's hard to predict what new series will stick, and by the time one becomes clearly popular in Japan, it's too far behind to put in the English version. Too bad that we missed that recent sumo series. It seems like it may be doing well in the polls, and I'd like to read it!

It would be great if the English-speaking fans had some say in what new series stick around, but even if not, this will be cool!


agree with this. If Subscribers don't have any say on which series to stay in US Shonen jump, getting only the first 3 chapters are meaningless to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shadowsythe13



Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 78
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
shadowsythe13 wrote:
Please a new battle shonen manga series like similar to naruto, bleach, buso renkin, psyren but not like dbz, toriko, one piece. A series can be interesting
Did you checked World Trigger? It's like Naruto and Bleach, since it feel a bit bland with cool characters and a story line a bit boring.

Seriously, it's not that bad, it's actually quite decent.

Naruto Bleach and One Piece are currently monopolizing places for a battle manga, since Toriko's rating is quietly dropping and World Trigger isn't doing well.

There's World Trigger's anime airing this fall, which may help to boost WT a bit.



Look I'm not into world trigger, I like reading a manga that has male/female protagonist with interesting personality, love intrest, best friend, cool character, and likable support characters and cool villains, awesome story arcs, maybe get popular enough to get anime 100 episodes with movies and games just hoping like that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group