• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki Speaks Out About His Political Views and Japanese Politics

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
As much as Miyazaki can be a big old grump at times, he can also be very wise.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
"Politicians are short sited and create policies that reflect as such" yeah, sounds like most modern political heads.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'll say it. We could use that old grump here in the good ol' USA. Even if I didn't agree with half of what he said I think it would be worth listening to.

Mark Gosdin
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I may not agree with Miyazaki on the state of the anime industry, but his view on the Japanese government is similar to mine, they don't do the research and focus on superficial issues constantly, if the government over there did some research, they'd know that TPP will mean the death of Japan..
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, Miyazaki sticks with his controversial opinions. I can at least admire him for that.

Many politicians lack the integrity to stand behind what they say when they are called out on it.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I guess this comes to prove that not all Japanese people approve of what Japan has done during WWII and despite that I may not always agree with Miyazaki's opinions, I greatly respect him as a human being and hell, if only the Japanese government officials were more honest and stop sugarcoating their crimes, it would have improved their relations with China/Korea a little bit.

Once again, bravo there Miyazaki.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
As far as I know, Miyazaki sticks with his controversial opinions. I can at least admire him for that.

Many politicians lack the integrity to stand behind what they say when they are called out on it.

Well, there's certainly a difference between being a politician and being an animator. Animators can say whatever they like, but if their works are good, they'll still be safe, even if people don't like their opinions. Politicians, however, rely on votes. If they don't apologize and keep spouting crazy stuff, they end up being voted out of office.
I have a feeling that none of them truly take back their words so much as they apologize and take them back for publicity's sake.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
I guess this comes to prove that not all Japanese people approve of what Japan has done during WWII and despite that I may not always agree with Miyazaki's opinions, I greatly respect him as a human being and hell, if only the Japanese government officials were more honest and stop sugarcoating their crimes, it would have improved their relations with China/Korea a little bit.

A reason could be that it can lessen the nationalistic of their Great Japan.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hayao Miyazaki perhaps has genuine worthwhile insights on the influence of events on one's beliefs and perspective, but less credit should probably be given to his assessment of what motivates politicians. He expresses it better than most, but ultimately it feels like the same kind of moralistic interpretation of something I think is far more profitably understand in terms of the structural incentives of the political system. It all seems built upon a kind of fundamental attribution error.

It's a pretty long interview, however, so perhaps the except does not quite do his thoughts justice. I just have a sore point for people making useless, fundamentally ignorant condemnations of 'politicians', which they are almost invariably seem to feel quite proud of mindlessly parroting. It does nothing to advance any cause. Sometimes I think we invented governments not to lead or control, but to blame for our stupidity, pettiness and venality without having to take meaningful responsibility for any of it.

There's a lot of interesting stuff on The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus, by the way. Anybody interested in Japan might profit from poking around there for a while.

Hoppy800 wrote:
...if the government over there did some research, they'd know that TPP will mean the death of Japan..

AAAAAAHHHH! A protectionist!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

You know, the Japanese government has formally apologised for the comfort women and other crimes in World War 2. The did it back in the 90s if I'm not mistaken. And yet if you listened to other Asian countries you'd think Japan has always denied it.

I get the feeling that the animosity towards Japan from China and South Korea is a combination of diplomatic posturing, jealousy at Japanese post-war success and over-pumped nationalism on all three sides.

Surrender Artist wrote:

I'm from New Zealand - which is already pretty much the most open country in the western world - and I'm terrified of the TPP. If you actually look what is in it you'd crap your pants.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

Same. Although I thought a lot of the Japanese didn't agree with what the nation did during WWII? Other than maybe the older generation of extreme nationalists. Regardless of whether or not I personally agree with him all the time, I really do respect the man and his openness to discussing controversial topics despite the negative opinions he many garner. And as a filmmaker in general I have to love him for introducing me to the vast and expansive medium of anime. Still love most of his works the most. Plus, I kind of agree with him on that whole "modern anime producers are autistic" argument he has. Or was it Hideaki Anno who said that. Meh, pretty much the same people.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
"Old guy complains about the government." I don't know why everyone's so impressed and dripping with additional respect due to this. He's hardly blazing a trail.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:

You know, the Japanese government has formally apologised for the comfort women and other crimes in World War 2. The did it back in the 90s if I'm not mistaken. And yet if you listened to other Asian countries you'd think Japan has always denied it.

I get the feeling that the animosity towards Japan from China and South Korea is a combination of diplomatic posturing, jealousy at Japanese post-war success and over-pumped nationalism on all three sides.

Surrender Artist wrote:

I'm from New Zealand - which is already pretty much the most open country in the western world - and I'm terrified of the TPP. If you actually look what is in it you'd crap your pants.

Please, kind sir. I beg you to stop your baseless and biased assumptions. As someone who has actually live in China and Japan, I know how extremely complicated and utterly sensitive when it comes to relations between Japan, China and Korea. The emotional and historical burden that every Chinese and Japanese has to carry since their childhood is almost unthinkable. I realize it is tough for Western residents to fully understand how complex such issue is, since Media coverage most of times cannot accurately convey that atomsphere. But...please, at least do some research before writing such irresponsible remark, as you just directly insulted three countries without knowing the what exactly happened.

I understand that the tension between these countries gave you a false impression that they are overly-nationalistic and full of extremeism. I must say such view is hugely exaggerated, and at least think in their shoes and see why the tension started in the first place. Learning history is not trying to remind future generation about the past hatred, but rather, teaching them to never let such tragedy happen again. So before accusing either side, please at least know what happened and what they said.

I hate arguing with people and I always doing my best to avoid an online argument. But as someone who has experience that dreadful atomsphere from both sides, I just cannot let myself ignore such provocative post (maybe not to you, kind sir) . Asian politics is as complicated and sensitive as it can get. There is a reason most Chinese and Japanese (friends, relatives, classmates, etc) I know aren't very passionate when comes to such issues, because they know very well that things will become ugly when talking about them.

Best wishes. And if my tone gave you a rude impression, my apology in advance, as I try to keep my response as mild as possible.

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
I prefer his political opinions as they can't be high jacked to be used as a vocal point for whining about the Anime industry.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You know, the Japanese government has formally apologised for the comfort women and other crimes in World War 2. The did it back in the 90s if I'm not mistaken.

They might've once or twice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan

Also 1000th post. Yay, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3