• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Author Naoki Hyakuta Thinks Hayao Miyazaki's Got a Few Screws Loose

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdmccaskill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Unsubstantiated tabloid comment removed. -TK]

Last edited by kdmccaskill on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll always side against the one claiming to be a patriot. I've always appreciated the political bent in Miyazaki's works and his fearlessness at speaking his mind on political issues in the public. The fact that Naoki immediately resorted to personal attacks speaks pretty poorly to the security of his argument.

This feels like a pretty clear case of slander as a response to criticism, and a petty implicit attack on Miyazaki's age and recent retirement, both used to veil perceived fundamental ideological differences.

Last edited by 鏡 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Anyone watching The Wind Rises for a statement about WWII is watching the wrong movie. The only thing that resembles such a statement is at the beginning of the movie (something along the lines of "fighting is never justified") and that's really all there is to it.

Honestly, The Wind Rises is a boring movie. With the exception of the amazing sound design, the earthquake scene, and a couple of interesting supporting characters, nothing really jumped out to me. If anything, it was a 2-hour "The Kids These Days!" rant by Miyazaki.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Hyakuta confirmed to be a blind patriot, don't he realize the LDP, the current party in power will be the undoing of Japan in all aspects of society if they aren't questioned and voted out of office. I can't side by people who can't question the tyranny their party and country is conducting
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't support any form of aggressive patriotism. Accusing someone of being an anti-patriot is one of the worse arguments one could use. I don't blindly support something because I was born into it.

That being said, Miyazaki has made some crazy statements before. I just wouldn't call his words "anti-Japanese people".
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Hyakuta confirmed to be a blind patriot, don't he realize the LDP, the current party in power will be the undoing of Japan in all aspects of society if they aren't questioned and voted out of office. I can't side by people who can't question the tyranny their party and country is conducting

Wait a minute, is this the same Naoki Hyakuta who openly denied the Rape of Nanjing never happened:

Japanese NHK Board Member Naoki Hyakuta Denies Nanjing Massacre Happened

The Independent-How Japan’s ‘BBC’ is rewriting its role in the Second World War

The Diplomat-NHK Governor [Naoki Hyakuta]: Nanjing Massacre ‘Never Happened’

ANN, why are you giving this guy attention?? That's kinda like using a holocaust denier's article to get views and attention. In case you didn't know Naoki Hyakuta openly denied the Rape of Nanjing. So in my case, whatever he said including attacking Miyazaki has no credibility to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I never watched both, but I don't think Miyazaki has the right to say that "the script is based on a piece of historical military fiction that's full of lies" because they're both making fictional stories.

I'm never a fan of Miyazaki. Sure, he's great at making animation but so far I've never been so very deeply impressed with his works. And he's always nagging about animation and whatever these days, saying things like "voice actors these days sound like sluts" or "playing with iPad equals masturbation" or his most usual "I'm gonna retire" and months later we'll hear him "I won't stop animating" and still mess with the studio when there's a blondie in the poster.

mdo7 wrote:
ANN, why are you giving this guy attention?? That's kinda like using a holocaust denier's article to get views and attention.

Yeah, it's the same Naoki Hyakuta, but I don't think ANN put his name in article to get attention. I'm sure only few knows about his denial on the Rape of Nanjing.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Reading the header, I found myself paraphrasing the words of the immortal Mr. Snerd:
".....NNNN-NAWWWWHHHH!!!! Shocked "

But, from the article, turned out they were just having a geek argument about wartime planes. Figures.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
ANN, why are you giving this guy attention?? That's kinda like using a holocaust denier's article to get views and attention.

Yeah, it's the same Naoki Hyakuta, but I don't think ANN put his name in article to get attention. I'm sure only few knows about his denial on the Rape of Nanjing.

ANN should've done some research before posting this article on there, and probably put a disclaimer saying this guy (Naoki Hyakuta) is a denier of Rape of Nanjing, then I wondered how would people on ANN would've reacted if the guy that said Miyazaki got a few screws loose is the same person that said the Rape of Nanjing never happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Wait a minute, is this the same Naoki Hyakuta who openly denied the Rape of Nanjing never happened:

It would be nice if his attitude and comments were unique to himself, but there are plenty of people in the US that say exactly the same thing. Whitewash or ignore the bad stuff, only talk about the good stuff. That kind of sentiment is wrong-headed and poisonous and absolutely makes any kind of meaningful self-reflection impossible.

So, you know what? Screw that guy for pulling the "I'm a patriot, the other guy's a traitor!" card.

Last edited by Great Rumbler on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Japanese NHK Board Member Naoki Hyakuta Denies Nanjing Massacre Happened

The Independent-How Japan’s ‘BBC’ is rewriting its role in the Second World War

The Diplomat-NHK Governor [Naoki Hyakuta]: Nanjing Massacre ‘Never Happened’

ANN, why are you giving this guy attention?? That's kinda like using a holocaust denier's article to get views and attention. In case you didn't know Naoki Hyakuta openly denied the Rape of Nanjing. So in my case, whatever he said including attacking Miyazaki has no credibility to me.

This is relevant context that should be included in the article. Naoki wasn't responding to the criticism, he was using it as a chance to attack Miyazaki viz his political beliefs.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:

It would be nice if his attitude and comments were unique to himself, but there are plenty of people in the US that say exactly the same thing. Whitewash or ignore the bad stuff, only talk about the good stuff. That kind of sentiment is wrong-headed and poisonous and absolutely makes any kind of meaningful self-reflection impossible.

Only the pro-Japanese lobby in US would fall for that. I don't think the US government (aside from the pro-Japanese lobbyist) denied the Nanjing massacre happened.

EDIT: Want to add this link to make sure my evidence is more credible:

BBC-Governor of Japan broadcaster NHK denies Nanjing massacre
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wonder why (at least some) of the Japanese gov't is still unwilling to admit the atrocities that they did during WW2? Is it to keep that image that Japan is a great nation (other countries probably do this too in times of war)?

Another criticism for the Japanese gov't: While there have been recognized dual survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, I do find it interesting that Tsutomu Yamaguch (March 16, 1916 – January 4, 2010) is the only one that was recognized by the Japanese gov't.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Wonder why (at least some) of the Japanese gov't is still unwilling to admit the atrocities that they did during WW2? Is it to keep that image that Japan is a great nation (other countries probably do this too in times of war)?

Another criticism for the Japanese gov't: While there have been recognized dual survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, I do find it interesting that Tsutomu Yamaguch (March 16, 1916 – January 4, 2010) is the only one that was recognized by the Japanese gov't.

I remember listening to a NHK World Radio Japan broadcast a few months ago about how some bomb survivors were denied free medical treatment coverage, I wish NHK World didn't take down that broadcast, I think people on ANN need to hear about it.
Norbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

That, and votes.

Anyway, it's the blind leading the blind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3