• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anohana Team Teases New Original Film in Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
Kinda looking forward to this considering the long break gap between Anohana and this upcoming film. I wonder if it will have similar themes though considering the same staff is working on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
Milking the cow lest it gets stale!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
The 1st movie was a recap/quasi-sequel. I wonder how they can continue the story (unless it focuses on a different group of people dealing with their own ghost).
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
The 1st movie was a recap/quasi-sequel. I wonder how they can continue the story (unless it focuses on a different group of people dealing with their own ghost).

? The article says that this is a completely new and original story. i.e., It has nothing to do with Anohana beyond having the same staff.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:

? The article says that this is a completely new and original story. i.e., It has nothing to do with Anohana beyond having the same staff.

While it is possible, it isn't always "different people, different setting" kinda thing. A good example is Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic and its prequel, Magi: Adventure of Sinbad. While Sinbad is set within the Magi world, it's a new and original story.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:

While it is possible, it isn't always "different people, different setting" kinda thing. A good example is Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic and its prequel, Magi: Adventure of Sinbad. While Sinbad is set within the Magi world, it's a new and original story.

But Adventure of Sinbad is explicitly a prequel. It was always specifically advertised as a spinoff prequel about Sinbad, who was already a central character in Magi. This is completely different. This is "a new work from the people that brought you Anohana". Now with all the same staff, and another focus on "young people", I'd expect to see some thematic similarities. But that doesn't make this a prequel/sequel/set in the same universe. If it was, they'd advertise it as such, so that they could pull in completionist fans who need to see everything in a given franchise.

(Not to mention, the PV specifically says, "Anohana Project, Complete" at 0:30, and then goes on to say, "and now, on to a new project".)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
While I also hoped for an Anohana sequel when this new project was first mentioned, I will take a new movie with similar themes. I want to think that this staff can create an amazing film.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mari Okada (M3 the dark metal, Hana-Saku Iroha) is writing the script,

Nope.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for a Anohana sequel. But, since this is meant to be something else, I hope it's not too similar to Anohana. Already have Anohana, so hoping they're doing something different.
Kami-samaAraragi131

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
This sounds very promising considering how devoted the studio behind this is to their characters and plot. I'm excited to see what they'll focus on next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1