• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Not That Kind of Resolution

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Well this new year Answerman was very interesting to read. About the first question. Most of FMA games was published by Square Enix even if Funimation has home video right, and Konami published all Yugi-Oh games when 4kids back then had home video right. So video game adaptation of anime/manga will not be published by the anime licensee. I have nothing thing else to add/contribute on the other questions.

But yeah I agreed about Master License agreement like you stated is becoming less and less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and it's pretty clear the anime industry at large hasn't adopted this particular strategy yet.

Anime production exclusively takes place in small offices, so what could be leaked would just be photos of animators either drawing genga or coloring the images in. You're not going to see any actors in makeup, on location, or any props or sets. It's probably much easier to contain leaks when your product is so locally contained. The most that could leak is plot detail.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
For the person with the last question:

Are there any specific shows you wanted to go back to? Everyone has their own experiences and opinions when they evaluate shows old and new, and not all of them will coincide with your own, but if you have a few titles in mind and you ask around, you might be able to get a few people to give you insight as to what they believe are its best or worst aspects--some of which, you may care for. Take the people who elaborate clearly on their opinions seriously, too. You'll probably get several "Oh, it sucked. Not worth your time." or "It was amazing! Worth a rewatch!" responses, but the best are the ones that actually care enough about your experience (or their own) to give you more insight on specific flaws or quality aspects of a series. In the end, only you can judge your own taste and standards, but it does help immensely cut down on the potential for disappointment if you ask around for peer opinions. And this is especially true for things you may still have bits and pieces of in your memories, since you'll have a better idea of what those people are talking about.

Top-of-my-mind example: Digimon Adventure (first season). Opinions are everywhere for it, but you'll probably see a general consensus that aside from one stray episode or the film productions, the animation for the series was pretty horrible, even for its time, and it has a few plot holes that can be questioned with ease, and often are. However, most fans (including myself) like to argue that despite all that, it still is a quality series with some amazing character writing for a children's series. If the former stuff hurts your enjoyment of a 50-or-so episode series, then it might not be for you, but if you care about the latter stuff more, or are open to flaws in exchanged for potentially good writing in other parts of the show, then you might enjoy it anyway.
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's an uncomfortable truth: you will probably not still like some of the old shows you remember fondly.

Counterpoint: I vastly prefer older material. As I went on in that What Happened to Anime thread, I find myself gravitating to 60's-90's anime far more than I am the Aught fives through today. I find the tone and themes more in line with my tastes.

(Mind you - I've been trying to diversify into newer stuff since then, aggressively sampling more modern shows - but I haven't found anything that's clicked with me yet.)

I don't think this is nostalgia goggles coming into play, either. I only every watched one or two episodes of Gatchaman back in the 70's and I only ever saw the Fist of the North Star movie, never the series - but I picked up the boxed sets for both a couple of months ago and have been enjoying both shows immensely.

I will agree that not everything of the youth stands up today. A non-anime example: I loved Buck Rodgers when it was first broadcast, but man did that show not work for me as an adult. So just go in prepared for the soul crushing realization that "Wow, this was terrible" - but otherwise, you'll probably still enjoy it to a point.

Last edited by Desslok on Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
In regard to re-watching older series, since Anime was a part of my childhood in the 1960's, limited to two series - one in color and one in black & white, yes I can understand not wanting to watch them again for fear of what you will see or not see.

I've also been that way about a lot of other older shows from that same time period which I did re-watch with my own children thanks to Cartoon Network / Boomerang. Yep, they did not hold up for the most part.

However, sometimes they did.

So, I think it is good to re-watch when you can, and by all means prepare yourself to be let down, because sometimes you will be amazed.

Mark Gosdin
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Have you ever gone back and watched the cartoons you used to love when you were a REALLY little kid? Most of that stuff is absolute garbage: mind candy and thinly veiled advertising of the absolute lowest order. But you loved it. I loved it. We all did. Those are good memories, and they're memories we should all cherish. That doesn't mean you still need to watch that garbage.

I really love how that was phrased. It's so true. For example, look at the majority of Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Lots of people have fond memories with the Flintstones and Scooby-Doo, yet anyone who looks at the shows today will instantly know that they're cheaply made and thinly written.

In my case, I had very fond memories of the Super Mario cartoons. Looking at them now, they're pretty terrible. Tons of animation errors and production that was obviously on a shoe-string budget are more apparent to me now than ever. But even though it's not really something that I'd waste my time with anymore, I can still appreciate it for the great time it gave to me as a child. And hey, it's always great to go back and make fun of things too.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All of it is just part of the marketing plan, and it's pretty clear the anime industry at large hasn't adopted this particular strategy yet.

Yeah, It would be kind of cool, if Hideaki Anno revealed a 'carefully' cropped in key art from the next Evangelion film on an Instagram or Twitter account. But I think the likelihood of is happening is pretty much nil, like you say, Justin. How big is the production committee for the Evangelion films? How many offices would have to be called and asked for permission to release a JJ Abrams' style "leak"? Feels like something that most directors and producers may not bother dealing with, when they would rather keep churning out the work.

Quote:
Have you ever gone back and watched the cartoons you used to love when you were a REALLY little kid?

It's funny because I bought the complete series boxset to CBS series Dungeons and Dragons a few months back. The opening montage and the end credit score were two of the fondest memories I had of the show, when I was a five-year old.

Watching it now, over thirty years later, Johnny Douglas' score still holds up really well (which should be no surprise) and I still get a kick out of the opening. As for the show itself, it's still just as goofy as any Saturday morning cartoon from that era. I got a kick out of seeing familiar names in the credits, like, Paul Dini and enjoyed the heck out of Peter Cullen's Venger.

Like you say, it's a "new perspective" for something we devoured as kids. I find myself really looking at the background art and having greater appreciation for some of the key art.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Counterpoint: I vastly prefer older material. As I went on in that What Happened to Anime thread, I find myself gravitating to 60's-90's anime far more than I am the Aught fives through today. I find the tone and themes more in line with my tastes.

I don't think this is nostalgia goggles coming into play, either. I only every watched one or two episodes of Gatchaman back in the 70's and I only ever saw the Fist of the North Star movie, never the series - but I picked up the boxed sets for both a couple of months ago and have been enjoying both shows immensely.

He doesn't mean old as in time frame, just stuff you watched earlier on, like Love Hina or InuYasha for a good chunk of fans. People used to love those series. But I think along with individuals developing, so did the entire anime fandom and they'd find Love Hina worse than most harems today.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
On revisiting anime:
I recently rewatched Gundam 0083, Brigadoon and Gurren Lagann. And I discovered that my love for them has dramatically waned down within the last 5 years. As a child I loved (almost to the point of obsession) Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and DBZ. They are not as great now in my eyes, but I still have fond memories of them.

Regarding New Year's resolutions:
I am not big on those. I suppose I want to improve as a person on all the areas I can. On the anime side of things, I want to stick to a $1500-2000 budget on anime goods; I have spent a lot of money the last 2 years.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually met my 2014 New Years Resolutions. They were to become basic conversational/understanding in Japanese, and to lose weight. Very happy that I made both.

For 2015, I'm aiming to be able to read Japanese quicker and my fluently, while additionally wanting to lose more weight. Along with my Japanese study, I'm beginning to do Mandarin Chinese in order to be closer to my family roots. Hoping to make progress with that one.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
In Evangelion 3.0's case, I believe Khara had to withhold as much information from the audience as possible because they really wanted to surprise people with the spoiler[14-year timeskip, and that reveal comes very early into the movie.] They were even careful enough to stream just the first 6 minutes or so of the movie online when it premiered, because that was as much as they could show without spoiling anything significant.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
For the person with the last question:

Are there any specific shows you wanted to go back to? Everyone has their own experiences and opinions when they evaluate shows old and new, and not all of them will coincide with your own, but if you have a few titles in mind and you ask around, you might be able to get a few people to give you insight as to what they believe are its best or worst aspects--some of which, you may care for. Take the people who elaborate clearly on their opinions seriously, too. You'll probably get several "Oh, it sucked. Not worth your time." or "It was amazing! Worth a rewatch!" responses, but the best are the ones that actually care enough about your experience (or their own) to give you more insight on specific flaws or quality aspects of a series. In the end, only you can judge your own taste and standards, but it does help immensely cut down on the potential for disappointment if you ask around for peer opinions. And this is especially true for things you may still have bits and pieces of in your memories, since you'll have a better idea of what those people are talking about.

Top-of-my-mind example: Digimon Adventure (first season). Opinions are everywhere for it, but you'll probably see a general consensus that aside from one stray episode or the film productions, the animation for the series was pretty horrible, even for its time, and it has a few plot holes that can be questioned with ease, and often are. However, most fans (including myself) like to argue that despite all that, it still is a quality series with some amazing character writing for a children's series. If the former stuff hurts your enjoyment of a 50-or-so episode series, then it might not be for you, but if you care about the latter stuff more, or are open to flaws in exchanged for potentially good writing in other parts of the show, then you might enjoy it anyway.

It's definitely worth poking around to see what opinions are/were of a show in comparison to one's recollections. For instance, I recently contemplated picking up a dirt cheap bundle for Soul Taker since I watched it back in the TechTV days, but I also remembered that the plot was pretty nonsensical. I wasn't sure if that was due to me still being pretty new to anime or if it really did have plot issues. Fortunately, I saved myself some time and money by verifying that my old impression of it wasn't unique.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Some of the shows I watched as a child (mostly cartoons and anime) were pretty awesome in my opinion, at the time. When I re-watched them a few years later, after I had more shows viewship and knowledge under my belt, I saw that what I though was "awesome," was actually just "new ( at the time)".
So re-watching old favorites can ruin the perceived nostalgic feel, but also aid in confirming that material's endurance to the Test of Time.
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
He doesn't mean old as in time frame, just stuff you watched earlier on, like Love Hina or InuYasha for a good chunk of fans. People used to love those series. But I think along with individuals developing, so did the entire anime fandom and they'd find Love Hina worse than most harems today.

And that would be my time frame, growing up with anime - I started with Speed Racer in the early seventies, loved Star Blazers in the late seventies, matured into a more diverse viewing list in the eighties. It would be like - loving Knight Rider as a kid and then going Hey, lets try the A-Team too.

That's what I was getting at - if something does (or doesn't) work with one vintage, branch out and try others of a similar vintage.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
For instance, I recently contemplated picking up a dirt cheap bundle for Soul Taker since I watched it back in the TechTV days, but I also remembered that the plot was pretty nonsensical. I wasn't sure if that was due to me still being pretty new to anime or if it really did have plot issues. Fortunately, I saved myself some time and money by verifying that my old impression of it wasn't unique.

The plot is a quite nonsensical, but you watch for the style rather than the substance. Isn't an Akiyuki Shinbou series? From what I recall, it was very proto-Shaft. I'm not saying that it's worth buying, but it does have it's merits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5