• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Underexplored

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, that FF game does sound interesting.

I'm going to have to start downloading some of these games from the Nintendo store. Lufia, never had the chance of playing it. Really nice amiibo of Rosalind.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Breaker is a nice game although the last update ruined the game quite a bit making things much harder and damage being nerfed silly on a lot of parts, the drop rates for materials needed to upgrade and make parts are actually better after the last patch and the absurd item requirements for Level 8-10 parts has been eased and it made missing materials needed for certain parts available (Why they didn't include them in the game we'll never really know).
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Lord of Magna by ex-Neverland people? Unless I'm mistaken, this is Forbidden Magna! Hot damn, I love you XSEED <3

Hoping that Ys VI is the PC version; the PS2 port's 2D character art was all kinds of jaggy, so I expect the original's a bit better in that department, at least.

My favorite reaction to Mevius Man was Brianna Wu's. It's so true. At least fangirls can rely on the Final Fantasy series for fanservicy male costumes every so often.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
^I find those reactions to Mevius hilarious, honestly. I'll leave it at that.

Awesome! The Legend Returns is the only Lufia title I never played. Now I can finally get it off my gaming bucket list. And you are correct Todd, it's definitely better than Ruins of Lore in terms of a lot of things, including actual Lufia canon.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Wait, Lord of Magna by ex-Neverland people? Unless I'm mistaken, this is Forbidden Magna! Hot damn, I love you XSEED <3

Hoping that Ys VI is the PC version; the PS2 port's 2D character art was all kinds of jaggy, so I expect the original's a bit better in that department, at least.

My favorite reaction to Mevius Man was Brianna Wu's. It's so true. At least fangirls can rely on the Final Fantasy series for fanservicy male costumes every so often.

The left costume is ok overall, I wish it wasn't showing so much skin on the back but the front of it is excellent, the second is bleh, his poor sister if he has one most likely isn't pleased, the release should feature only the first outfit on the left.
se37

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This Amiibo scalping is just insane. In fact, this was not bad until the rumor of some Amiibo's only getting a first run (which today we know is false since they are going to produce more Marth's for example). Before the rumor came out about being "rare" I could walk into a store and find the "rare" ones, as soon as the rumor hit, they were gone within a day or two.

Then I hear this jerk scalping them and Rosalina being his next target. My favorite Mario character is Rosalina and I was so happy I could get her at Target since the place is next door to my office. Even if they weren't taking Pre-Orders (unlike Shulk, but I pre-ordered him because I don't want to step into a Gamestop) so now I have to go out on a Sunday to get her before these scalping jerks buy her up. Just like I missed out on Pit. It really makes me mad that Nintendo hasn't put these online yet like they did with the Gamecube Adapters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I never got a chance to play the RE1 remake, which I heard is probably one of the best RE titles out there, so I'm pretty excited about this one.

The new Final Fantasy actually looks kinda neat, and the fact that the guy who directed FF VI through X is behind it makes it look like something I'd like to get. Final Fantasy Explorers also looks neat. Too bad I don't have a 3DS.

And Lufia... I've only played Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. It was actually my first JRPG... or rather, first RPG in general, and it remains as one of my favorite games. Every few years I come back to it. I'd like to give this port a chance.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
XSEED continues to be the best localization company on the market.

I already imported Onechanbara since I was convinced it was never going to come out here, but if they do release it I'll double dip just to show my support.

I heard they censored a few things in RE:HD, mainly Jill's panty shot, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.

R. Kasahara wrote:

I would point out it's hypocrticial to see people complain about women's designs but not men's because it implies it's more about sour grapes than 'respectful representation of a gender', but this is Brianna Wu so that's a given already.

But Americans dislike Japanese designs in general. I see so many people complain how Japanese character designs for guys are 'too girly' or what have you, so that's nothing new either if people are complaining about it.

-Stuart Smith
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Totally stoked about Corpse Party. I'll be buying a Vita now. I loved the first two games. Even if the second had some... issues... it still contained interesting back story, and the last (hidden) chapter was superb. It had me on the edge of my seat wondering where they were going with it, and made me want the next game even more.

I'll check out the RE re-re-make on PC, but I'm wondering if they fixed the issues with the difficulty settings that I remember from the Cube version back in the day.

As I remember there were only two difficulty settings, and one was far too easy IMO, and other one was so punishingly difficult that I just gave up on the game...
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

But Americans dislike Japanese designs in general. I see so many people complain how Japanese character designs for guys are 'too girly' or what have you, so that's nothing new either if people are complaining about it.

-Stuart Smith
Do you ever not make insulting and ignorant generalizations?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
You know what I want Racjin to make a sequel for? Snowboard Kids. Atlus has become a force on its own, and betwene that and the dismal DS game, the Snowboard Kids franchise has fallen by the wayside.

se37 wrote:
Then I hear this jerk scalping them and Rosalina being his next target. My favorite Mario character is Rosalina and I was so happy I could get her at Target since the place is next door to my office. Even if they weren't taking Pre-Orders (unlike Shulk, but I pre-ordered him because I don't want to step into a Gamestop) so now I have to go out on a Sunday to get her before these scalping jerks buy her up. Just like I missed out on Pit. It really makes me mad that Nintendo hasn't put these online yet like they did with the Gamecube Adapters.

Oh, this is going to backfire on him so spectacularly. Whether he's spite-buying or scalping, this is going to send a message to Nintendo that Rosalina is a really popular character and will prompt Nintendo to manufacture more amiibo of her and possibly give her even more spotlight than she already has.

Not that I mind, of course, because Rosalina is my favorite Mario character.

As for the amiibo, the only two I never saw on store shelves are Villager and Marth, and I've never actively searched for them. Maybe whereas video games themselves just fly off the shelves, the kids around here are less interested in the figurines. The Skylanders and Disney Infinity stuff are also always in stock too (except for Vanellope when she was released).

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Do you ever not make insulting and ignorant generalizations?

Well, there is at least how the Americans and Japanese have pretty different ideas on what an idealized man should look like, which happens to be what the other country's stereotypical gay man looks like. It's an interesting coincidence, if you ask me.

What American gamers say about Marth or Sephiroth is what Japanese gamers say about Kratos or Master Chief.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
About the XSEED teaser, Hatsuu actually confirmed that there are only four games. The blank squares aren't teasers, just blank squares.

{If anyone has a problem with this post, then please PM me. Thank you. --nbahn}
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

What American gamers say about Marth or Sephiroth is what Japanese gamers say about Kratos or Master Chief.

What do Americans say about Marth you know besides snarking about his terrible looking amiibo and probably his Shadow Dragon character portrait.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Bottom line:

North Americans see pretty boys as homosexuals and big muscled guys as the ideal straight males. The Japanese see big muscled men as homosexuals and pretty boys as the ideal straight males. Very opposite ends of the spectrum, and such that we constantly rag on each other's character designs over it. Have we already forgotten how Harada stated gamers in the U.S. prefer meatheads with guns in their games? He isn't wrong on that account.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy you are all experts on the various societes and are able to neatly put every persons views into a nice little box that is not at all influenced by your very own ignorant biases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2