• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Love Live Get Official Credit Cards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
a.) Japan is not a credit card nation.

b.) Use these outside Japan, they'll think it's fraudulent. Laughing
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
As fun and beautiful the artwork of these two awesome shows are, I would end up in the slammer if I were to try using these cards...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

But my interest is buying online in japanese sites, not going over there (which sadly is beyond my meager budget)

Quote:
b.) Use these outside Japan, they'll think it's fraudulent.

Why? I have used my mexican visa card for years to buy in ebay, amazon, gog and even half in several occasions.

No, really, with such a meager annual fee I see no reason NOT to get one, so if anyone with better understanding of the business side of japan can enlighten us overseas dwellers in how to get one I would be grateful.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
So one can get a Nonoha or Love Live card to pay for Nonoha or Love Live goods. Ouroboros much?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

But my interest is buying online in japanese sites, not going over there (which sadly is beyond my meager budget)

Quote:
b.) Use these outside Japan, they'll think it's fraudulent.

Why? I have used my mexican visa card for years to buy in ebay, amazon, gog and even half in several occasions.

No, really, with such a meager annual fee I see no reason NOT to get one, so if anyone with better understanding of the business side of japan can enlighten us overseas dwellers in how to get one I would be grateful.

1. That's Mexico though, unless you are in an area with a large Japanese presence, you're not going to find many cashiers knowledgeable on anime to realize those anime themed CCs are real (and there's no guarantee even if you are in such an area)

2. You can't unless you have Japanese citizenship.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
1. That's Mexico though, unless you are in an area with a large Japanese presence, you're not going to find many cashiers knowledgeable on anime to realize those anime themed CCs are real (and there's no guarantee even if you are in such an area)

I have heard about it and you confirm it, credit cards on the USA are not required to have a chip (which can be clearly seen on the card pictured in the article). The cashiers over here do not care what you have printed on your card, if the terminal authorizes the transaction you only need to put your signature in the receipt to make the transaction official.

Quote:
2. You can't unless you have Japanese citizenship.

I saw no such mention in the linked page, so I will wait until it goes live to see some whatever requirements they ask for everyone to see :-p
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
This link has the requirements for getting a Japanese credit card

Interestingly, a spouse visa yields a much better chance to get a credit card that a normal work visa.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I have heard about it and you confirm it, credit cards on the USA are not required to have a chip (which can be clearly seen on the card pictured in the article).
We're supposed to be moving towards chip-and-PIN cards thanks to the Home Depot and Target fiascos, but I don't think that there's acually been any real movement beyond merchants upgrading their POS terminals to accept them. Heck, one of my cards was reissued when that was supposed to be happening and the only change was removing the raised numbers(skinflints). I've got another replacement coming, so I guess we'll see what Big Bank #2 feels like doing.
Quote:
The cashiers over here do not care what you have printed on your card, if the terminal authorizes the transaction you only need to put your signature in the receipt to make the transaction official.
enurtsol was referring to an incident where a Japanese man was arrested for trying to use his Idolm@ster credit card in the US.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

*double facepalm* Only in 'murrica -_-; Forget about the chip, I have usa satelite tv (bite me) and I have seen an advertisement where they can customize your credit card with whatever image you like, so this could have happened to anyone. I would have expected that a state such as California would be exempt of this kind of stupidity.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Use this in America and you can expect a visit from the kind tall blue men in cars that have sirens. Cute as they are they would get you landed in jail faster than Nanoha's transformation.

'Murica! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1