• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Healer Girl (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:14 pm Reply with quote

Healer Girl (TV)

Genres: magic
Themes: medical, music

Plot Summary: Those that use "voice medicine," the ability to heal injuries and cure illnesses with song, are called "healers." There are three apprentice healers working at the Karasuma Voice Treatment Center. Kana Fujii, an energetic girl who sets the tone, the strong-willed lady Reimi Itsushiro, and Hibiki Morishima who is caring but firm. These three first year high school girls are training after school to become full-fledged Healers. With the addition of Sonia Yanagi, a returnee who is a certified C-level healer, the girls are singing songs of healing as they work towards their dreams.

Apr. 4, 2022 (Mondays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I do think that for some people this show would probably hit all their marks, and would probably just love, unfortunately that isn't me. The musical aspect was novel, I can think back to the start of the second season of the original Love Live, in a way that was funny for the particular character. But I can't say that it really kept my attention in this, perhaps because I am not a big musical person myself, or perhaps a problem with watching a version subbed.

It looked okay, but admit maybe I was a bit afraid of how pretty and colourful it was, that I might shallowly be drawn. The studio is notorious for me in making shows that can look fantastic, but not sure if its more story parts can live up to it. Perhaps I myself was being too cynical. I did like the reveal of the very end of the season, finding out that their teacher focused on being a healer, was because of the feedback that Kana gave her as a kid, which itself made Kana want to be a healer. Nice job in the last episode having a scene in a plane that mirrors this.

Really afraid that I am setting myself in a rut in just needing to talk about queer stuff in everything. But it seemed strongly implied that Reimi was attracted to women, evidenced by her blushing and interest in people like their master. So it made it a little weird in the visiting Hibiki's family episode, and there was that whole thing with the little brother having a crush on her, and a little bit of shipping going on. I spent a good deal of the episode saying that she is quite strongly written like she is gay, which had me think if the series doesn't even realise that, or thinks people who act like her will like a guy eventually or something.

Don't really know what else to really talk about. I think that I liked the idea of what they set up with the side character that is super confident in herself, but it didn't actually get me to care that much. At least to me, a lot of trying to match the school stuff to the main story, just felt a touch awkward.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10).
MaritLage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:37 am Reply with quote
this looks really good ! .

lemme add it to the pile ! . Anime smile;;

and @DuskyPredator , yu talk about queer theory as much as yr heart desires .

i am here for it ! .
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The music in this show was so lovely. I've only watched the first episode but the scene with the grandmother sold me pretty well.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Really afraid that I am setting myself in a rut in just needing to talk about queer stuff in everything. But it seemed strongly implied that Reimi was attracted to women, evidenced by her blushing and interest in people like their master. So it made it a little weird in the visiting Hibiki's family episode, and there was that whole thing with the little brother having a crush on her, and a little bit of shipping going on. I spent a good deal of the episode saying that she is quite strongly written like she is gay, which had me think if the series doesn't even realise that, or thinks people who act like her will like a guy eventually or something.

I will give my input on this; there is a widely used trope in anime and other Japanese media where a girl spends a lot of time admiring a (usually) older female character not as a romantic partner but as a role model; "I want to be just like her when I get older!" The blushing and comments like "She is so pretty/she is so cool" can make people interpret this type of admiration as romantic attraction...but 9/10 times, that's not the case. If the master was the only one she admired, I'd say this is 'role model admiration'. But I haven't seen the whole show so I can't confirm it. I'm only going by the content of episode 1.

I think this is just another example of 'cultural gap'. Japan just doesn't always see things or intend things the way Western audiences see them and interprets them and this happens quite a lot. Yaoi/yuri fans and/or queer people starved for more romance/representation also (forgive me for saying it) especially have a strong tendency to overthink character behavior and interactions, if you will.

If I am wrong and she does have a crush on her instructor....but also a crush on a younger boy um...

bisexuals exist, you know?

Which episode were you talking about? I wanna see the ship-tease with the little brother very much now. Anime smile sounds cute as heck

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1