• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yomiuri Shimbun's 'Sugoi Japan Awards' Winners Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculus20

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Already saw this today, but I'll say it again. It utterly boggles my mind that Haruhi wasn't in the top 10 anime. You would think for making a list of the top 10 most popular, influential anime of the past 10 years you would include an anime that not only revolutionized late night anime but was also a cultural phenomenon.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
and yet the universe keeps on ploting so vinicio del totoro watches madoka.
Dr. Z0mg PhD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? No A Certain Magical Index up there in the top 10 light novels?
Calculus20

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Z0mg PhD wrote:
Seriously? No A Certain Magical Index up there in the top 10 light novels?

This is a list of the past 10 years. Index started serialization in 2004 so it doesn't count. That's why Haruhi novels aren't in the list too since it started publication in 2003 otherwise they would probably be at the top.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Very very political choices skewed towards Aniplex and Bandai Visua Late Night Anime inner circle jerking as always. When you look at the list of eligible nominees too its almost all their stuff. Nice to see these two companies producers continuing to pat themselves on the back while their animators and the people that actual work so hard to do the actual work struggle to even put food on the table. If anything the mere existence of this award and who is getting presented with these awards (like that scumbag Iwakami whose defining stroke of genius is combining popular otaku people with other popular otaku people to try to generate a commercial hit) reveals just how much this industry has lost its way in the last decade more than anything. It used be the talented and ambitious directors and key animators who the industry liked to promote and acknowledge most, now it's a bunch of greedy producers and at best the staffers that generate the most otaku buzz and thus commercial potential for a concept.

Also I might be wrong but I don't even think Haruhi was eligible even in spite of loose Bandai Visual ties.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
It used be the talented and ambitious directors and key animators who the industry liked to promote and acknowledge most, now it's a bunch of greedy producers and at best the staffers that generate the most otaku buzz and thus commercial potential for a concept

How are these series not ambitious or talented? Madoka is one of the top selling and beloved anime of all time so it getting #1 should be no surprise at all.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Very very political choices skewed towards Aniplex and Bandai Visua Late Night Anime inner circle jerking as always.

Aniplex has managed to snag a large portion of the good and/or popular shows in the last few years. That's why people complain about their prices so often (and how they get away with said prices).

In any case, that's a bit of an exaggeration. Out of those lists, Aniplex owns Madoka, Silver Spoon, OreImo, Fate/Zero, and Idolmaster (a hyper-popular game before the anime). Psycho-pass doesn't seem to be one of theirs, surprisingly. Those are all pretty darn significant anime, for better or for worse, and only make up 1/6th of the lists. (Not counting the "entertaining novels" one which doesn't have anything Aniplex controls, but has only a couple of anime.) I don't see any of Bandai's in there (Geass?), but they're a pretty huge company so they're bound to be involved in something.

It's a popularity contest, after all, so you shouldn't expect a lot of offbeat indie stuff in there. Though there actually is a bit of that (Humanity has Declined got in somehow), and a few things I've never even heard of.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Idolm@ster is in the ranking, that anime was spot on perfect of what I expected from an idol anime, Love Live was very close but not quite the level of perfection that Idolm@ster had but I'm glad it's in the ranking as well. It's sad that a Love Live spinoff will most likely blow and Cinderella Girls had such a disappointing start, they just can't get close to the originals in quality.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Very very political choices skewed towards Aniplex and Bandai Visual Late Night Anime inner circle jerking as always.

Aniplex has managed to snag a large portion of the good and/or popular shows in the last few years. That's why people complain about their prices so often (and how they get away with said prices).

In any case, that's a bit of an exaggeration. Out of those lists, Aniplex owns Madoka, Silver Spoon, OreImo, Fate/Zero, and Idolmaster (a hyper-popular game before the anime). Psycho-pass doesn't seem to be one of theirs, surprisingly. Those are all pretty darn significant anime, for better or for worse, and only make up 1/6th of the lists. (Not counting the "entertaining novels" one which doesn't have anything Aniplex controls, but has only a couple of anime.) I don't see any of Bandai's in there (Geass?), but they're a pretty huge company so they're bound to be involved in something.

It's a popularity contest, after all, so you shouldn't expect a lot of offbeat indie stuff in there. Though there actually is a bit of that (Humanity has Declined got in somehow), and a few things I've never even heard of.

The prices and just not seeming to give a single damn about anything beyond the commercial potential of a product to the point that they'll fudge up decently good ideas or have a story totally contradict what it set out to do in order to potentially make a few million more yen. As for Bandai, Code Geass, Tiger and Bunny, iDOLM@STER and Love Live all belong to them. Also the only thing on your list that Aniplex actually owns the intellectual copyright to is Madoka Magica. In the case of the others they own the adaptation rights and some limited merchandising rights to use the characters images and likenesses.

Psycho Pass does not belong to Aniplex, it belongs to IG Port and while it always seems like the creative drive for it gets credited to Gen Urobuchi, the chief creator and project overseer of the franchise is in fact and always has been Katsuyuki Motohiro who is the only key staffer that has been with the franchise the whole way through to date.

Also worth mentioning is that whenever Bandai Visual gets the chance to release something internationally they feel about as justified as Aniplex to charge ridiculous import prices based around the Japanese market. The only sort of relief that stateside fans have seen in this is the revaluing of the yen, otherwise you just kind of have to hope that a U.S based licencor like Funimation or Right Stuf can score some distribution rights and set their own domestic market pricing.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Yes, the lists are mostly made of properties that have recently been or are currently "popular" and not necassarily what was important or even popular a few years back. Haruhi should be in the light novel and anime categories in my book because 2006 qualifies and the light novels were still coming out as of that date and both sparked an international cultural phemonenon. Clannad was popular too in 2007 and I believe enjoyed wide acclaim. How soon the fans forget. And yes, I also wonder who these "genre experts" were and if they are employed by the major companies involved.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
That quote from Guillermo del Toro sounds incredibly scripted and doesn't feel like something he'd say.
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Not gonna list entertainment novels ranking on the article?
4 out of 10 works get anime adaptation. So, why not?

1, Toshokan Sensou (Library War)
2, Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World)
3, Yoru wa mijikashi arukeyo otome
4, Tenchi Meisatsu
5, Kokuhaku
6, Gyakusatsu Kikan (Genocidal Organ)
7, Another
8, Shinigami no Seido
9, Team Batista no Eikou
10, Ore Ore

Yoru wa mijikashi is written by Morimi Tomihiko, author of Tatami galaxy, and his most famous work.
Tenchi Meisatsu is written by Ubukata Tow who is famous for Mardock Scramble and Sōkyū no Fafner.

Edit
Thank you, sontoloyo. Fixed.

Last edited by Kamieichi on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
sontoloyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
@ Kamieichi

You kind of forgot or skip one title there, after Another...at no.8 it's supposed to be Accuracy of Death, then follow by Team Batista and Ore Ore Smile

Interested in reading some of those works that I haven't known/read yet, like Yoru wa Mijikashi, Tenchi Meisatsu, Kokuhaku and Ore Ore.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Haruhi should be in the light novel and anime categories in my book because 2006 qualifies and the light novels were still coming out as of that date and both sparked an international cultural phemonenon. Clannad was popular too in 2007 and I believe enjoyed wide acclaim. How soon the fans forget. And yes, I also wonder who these "genre experts" were and if they are employed by the major companies involved.

I don't see why Haruhi should be on this list because of international appeal or impact. It's a Japanese award, not an international one.

-Stuart Smith
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

I don't see why Haruhi should be on this list because of international appeal or impact. It's a Japanese award, not an international one.

-Stuart Smith

The list covered 2005-2015 as I read it and the anime of Haruhi came out in 2006 and was a large hit in Japan which continues more or less to this day (Haruhi-chan, Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan). I didn't put it in because of international appeal per se, but since this list is supposed to showcase what's "Sugoi" about Japan, I think it holds a special place in that regard. The light novel series Haruhi is arguable since it started in 2003, but I think since the series continued to at least 2011 and sold near-record volumes in Japan, it should qualify for consideration. Given all that, I am surprised it wasn't on any list, but maybe Infinite Eight killed some of the popularity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2