• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monogatari's NisiOisin, Arakawa Under the Bridge's Nakamura Make Jūni Taisen Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow what a premise. And the promo are looks interesting as well. With a selective group of these guys and ideas, I think this could have a lot of potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
"story of warriors who kill and are killed." Do the warriors die when they are killed? I think it's safe to say that saying "greatest battle royale novel ever," pretty much confirms that it won't be.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The people behind 2 of my favourite Anime Arakawa Under the Bridge and Katanagatari join up. Brilliant.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
NisiOisin's stories are interesting and unique, even if taking place in a run-out-of-the-mill locals and settings (like the much-over-used high-school setting).
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm in for any Nisioisin's works.
Though honestly, I think his work can be really a hit and miss. When it hits, it can be fresh, engaging, and if lucky, deep. But when it misses, it can become ultimately pretentious.

Looks like he's trying a new genre. That, if this novel takes an almost equal multiple protagonists and antagonists pov, just like other battle royale stories. Or if it contains quite a number of action scenes, just like other battle royale stories.
I'm imagining it would be a talking heads, strategic, deceitful, battle royale (with a likely anti-climax ending) Razz

Regardless, "Nisioisin and Nakamura collaborating on a new title" factor, is interesting enough for me wishing for it to be a series instead of just a one-shot.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a rip-off of Fate/stay night, but then again, Fate/stay night has ripped-off of other stuffs. I guess what will ultimately decide the novel's success is how much different it is from other battle royale stories.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
That one-shot manga title sounds like a LN, to me, because of the long title.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I just want Medaka Box to head stateside. Sad
This seems pretty cool though, sounds somewhat similar to Katanagatari, so it's not out of his bounds (in terms of making a simple premise very interesting).
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
It sounds like Katanagatari but it'll have a lot of wordplay which is Nishio Oshin's trademark while Nakamura will probably chip in with the oddball humour.

Outside of the Monogatari series, Nishio Ishin is ridiculously prolific so this might be finished extremely quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1