• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Etotama (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Etotama (TV)

Genre: comedy, fantasy
Themes: animals, supernatural

Plot Summary: The anime's story revolves around Nya-tan, the cat of Chinese astrology who wants to become a member of the Chinese zodiac. Nya-tan is simple and suffers from memory loss, and she tries various foolish ways to become a member. She meets Takeru Tendo, a high school student who lives alone in Akihabara, and becomes a freeloader at his house. Little by little, she gets closer to her goal.
----------------------------------

Episode 1: It was cute, that's for sure. But I'm not sure if I like Nya-tan as the main lead. Hopefully, some of her relationships with the others can be explored although there's quite a diverse cast of characters so far.

I don't mind the action though. Seems okay and OST is actually decent imo along with the ED song. I'll stick around for more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
That was the dumbest, most pointless waste of time and money I've ever seen, so stupid I couldn't even have imagined something this stupid beforehand.

I can't wait until next week to see another episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well that was kawai. I really think they have made Nya-tan so unlikable that she comes back around as being likable again. That it makes her a victim of the lead of quickly dismissing her antics, and probably a victim of herself.

Honestly I found the episode to be very cute and funny. I am a big sucker for CG, and the battles remind me of the also new Show By Rock, cute chibi with cool battle CG hits me in the weak spot.

I wonder how self aware this series is, everything Nya-tan does seems to be so. Even the plot seemed to be some ridiculous spoiler[plot for Nya-tan to make herself look tragic].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The VA for Nya-tan sure put in a full days work on this one.

I rather like the unflappability of Takeru although he did seem rather slow on the uptake in realizing what happened to his domicile.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of 3DCG, but the battle bit actually impressed me nonetheless. The humor wasn't the greatest, but the cuteness factor was high, plus there was just barely enough fanservice to hold my attention on that front. There's more than enough here to make me check out more episodes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Well it seems that Nya-tan surprised everyone and spoiler[won a battle round with her own power.] Whatever else this anime is it is high energy.

So what happens if an Eto-musume loses her token in an ETM12 battle? Is she still an Eto-musume or what?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yep, my kind of show. We have a random collection of moe tropes and sure that won't appeal to everyone, but for me I can just sit back and watch. It actually makes me think back to my opinions of KanColle which I had the complaint had mostly a boring array of characters that were only shallowly archetypes. The girls in Etotama at least feel like they each have their own personality that makes it fun to watch.

Well I was not a big fan of he OX that has a whole cow thing going. But Nya-tan just makes me love her character when she does something totally wrong. My favourite moment in the episode being the spoiler[smile that showed that she only said he was not an object to get energy from him]. There were other parts too like the absurdity of spoiler[cooking up the rooster and ox, and I guess also generally the teasing and or fighting with the rooster].

And the battles still look gorgeous. As expected for a spoiler[battle with an ox she could just plough through things]. And a good degree of emotion is shown.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Wait...did that cat girl just use a spoiler[Kamehameha? They are trying to put a lot of effort into the fight scenes as it seems. The comedy still feels awkward imo for the show but that ending was something that I actually didn't expect this week.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
Well this turned into a different sort of anime pretty suddenly. I didn't think spoiler[anyone was supposed to die. ]
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
I think it was a pretty bad choice.
Moreover, the lack of reactions from the other girls made them look like a huge asshole.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Seriously! Did they just spoiler[kill of Uri-tan, a character that has had a pretty large part so far], this early in the show? Put that with the light hearted atmosphere it almost feels like another series' spoiler[episode 3 where someone lost their head in a fight].

In general I am loving this show. I find that all of the self referential humour to really works for me where they actually point out how a new event (spoiler[the house]) is not only standard progression, but makes justifiable sense. And in general I find that the timing in making jokes hit can be perfect. Although so far a favourite part was spoiler[Uri-tan as her partner in crime], which now has me worried.

I think that this show continuously hits a sweet spot in everything I like: nice stylised CG battles, a terrible yet interesting heroine, lots of facial expressions, a regular male character who openly points out all contradictions but is generally good, over the top yet fun moe archetypes, breaking the 4th wall, some cute lolis, a touch yuri in places, and spoiler[the courage to do something unexpected]. I am kind of reminded of a show that did not get that much attention several seasons ago called Nekogami Yaoyorozu, except this is that done right. Wait, that was done back in 2011, that is more than "several seasons ago".
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Well they sure left out some important information from last time...for instance, spoiler[reincarnation]. In other words, spoiler[welcome back Ura.]

That spoiler[new bunny girl has a weird personality and power.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
I think even Robin Williams would have a hard time keeping up with the mood transitions this anime serves up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

They mentioned spoiler[reincarnation last episode], so I knew that would happen to her, but I did not think that spoiler[it would be so convenient and she would be exactly the same].

I love how self reflective this show is. For instances I really enjoyed the part where Usa-tan jspoiler[umped out of the helicopter that then crashes and exploded], it reminds me a heap of some of the hilarious black comedy from Sabagebu. But this show does its own thing by then having the characters spoiler[point it out], which is followed by the cliché "spoiler[it was just CGI]", which it then shows how such a stupid excuse could work.

And the major plot of the episode was about how these characters are lacking, which is not just self aware that they are characters, but that the people making this know the pitfalls of the character types. The dog and monkey spoiler[get pointed out as being too similar], the rooster spoiler[kind of falls of flat], and spoiler[Uri-tan has fallen into the exposition role]. The episode then plays off these things they point out by showing spoiler[the dog and monkey in a somewhat silly roles, pointing out rooster is kind of stands out in her own way, and showing someone else in the exposition role]. And also quite a bit with saying Nya-tan has not much of a character in standing out, it was kind of on two fronts as the show was pretty much saying that this is a journey of a hero trying to grow in a role.

And the CGI battle, it was so creative. They gave Usa-tan an Alice in Wonderland theme, which worked interestingly when we got to the battle. But it was actually quite creative that spoiler[it was more of a game than a battle, with rather simple rules]. It in general looked gorgeous, maybe some of the most gorgeous CGI I have seen in my memory, although this Show By Rock is also currently airing. How they did all the facial expressions and movements was super. And although the whole spoiler[character moving so fast they have time to do other things] is not exactly original, I actually found the execution with the spoiler[replay thing] to be well done. Also I totally thought it was kind of adorable when he saw that Nya-tan had spoiler[been searching how to make him feel better, and included the search "Takeru is sad"].

Yet almost no one is talking about this show, the reviewers all seemed to scoff at it with low marks for the first episode. To back to Sabagebu I think that this is also a hidden gem of the season. But while Sabagebu was kind of overshadowed by Nozaki-kun and Barakamon, this show is somehow being done by something like Punch Line. I would say Etotama is to the harem genre , for what Sabagebu was for the cute girls doing cute things club genre. That is there really is no signs of an actual harem going on.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I spot a spoiler[cute nurse in this week's episode. I think she contacted a condition herself. It's called LOVE SICK.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3