• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Lull in the Sea/Nagi no Asukara Trailer Unveils English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
The voices sound fine. Although, I am a bit iffy on the actress for Chisaki (my favorite character), but I will give her the benefit of the doubt and trust that she improves as the series progresses.

I am ready to receive my BD set and relive Nagi no Asukara with the dub.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
the boys sound several years older than they currently are in the clips. I'm perfectly fine with that. I might just be able to tolerate Hikari a little better. Tsumugu's will work just fine after the time skip.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Still sounds a bit too amateurish for my tastes. Hikari sounds too old. Manaka is fine. Chisaki I don't like at all for a reason I can't grip yet. Overall, subpar (Average for dubs now days I guess). I'll stick to the JP audio with it's mostly amazing cast. Those bonus features are still amazing
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Well sounds good but its just way to much green to get it
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well sounds good but its just way to much green to get it

If you don't mind DVD, you can own the whole thing for $100 MSRP(there are two Standard Editions, one for each cour). [Rightstuf price for it all is around $75)

$180 MSRP for the whole thing on Blu-ray is not the worst thing(and it's something like $135 on rightstuf)
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I watched it to see how the guy that did Masaomi and Eren could play my precious Kaname and uhhh... the two words he had in the trailer actually sounded alright but wow...
Manaka...
New levels of adorable broken.

Okay, Michelle Ruff needs to be in the Love Live dub. I don't know why I didn't think of her before since she plays like one of my favorite characters ever, but she needs to be Kotori. They need to cast her as Kotori.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
3 minutes of video and not a single line for Miuna and Sayu? Rather annoying.
Elves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
the boys sound several years older than they currently are in the clips.

Yep. The boys do totally sound a bit older. That could prove a little problematic in the later episodes. Hrm...

Honestly, I think the voice actors are doing a pretty good job. I've heard worse "green" voices, but everybody has to start somewhere!

My biggest issue is that it sounds like they're pronouncing Manaka's name as Monica... Crying or Very sad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
That's because her actual name sounds a lot like Monica. They were pronouncing it correctly from what I heard. If anything, Hikari's name was the one that was being mispronounced by saying Hi-kar-i instead of Hi-ka-ri
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Look, kids, it's Sinon, Kirito, Sachi, and Lisbeth!

Michelle Ruff > Kana Hanazawa, now and forever. As it was with Anri, so will it be with Manaka.
Elves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's because her actual name sounds a lot like Monica. They were pronouncing it correctly from what I heard. If anything, Hikari's name was the one that was being mispronounced by saying Hi-kar-i instead of Hi-ka-ri

The emphasis is supposed to be on the second syllable of Ma-NA-ka. It doesn't sound a thing like the English pronunciation of MAHN-i-ka (Monica) to me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
I don't recall there being any stress in Manaka's name, certainly not something that could be heard as obnoxiously as "Ma-NA-ka". One common thing that I've noticed when it comes to pronouncing Japanese is a lot of people add stress/emphasis where there shouldn't be. Manaka's name is simply said by saying Ma-Na-Ka quickly. And yes, this sounds like the name "Monica".
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't recall there being any stress in Manaka's name, certainly not something that could be heard as obnoxiously as "Ma-NA-ka". One common thing that I've noticed when it comes to pronouncing Japanese is a lot of people add stress/emphasis where there shouldn't be. Manaka's name is simply said by saying Ma-Na-Ka quickly. And yes, this sounds like the name "Monica".

The emphasis difference is very subtle to English speaker's ears and when spoken the name itself is broken down differently between the two languages based upon where we (English speakers) usually place emphasis within words. (ま (Ma) な (NA) か(ka)) I double checked episode one via Cruncyroll and I'm not mis-hearing things.

On that note, I guess my two years of intense college level Japanese courses mean squat on this topic. Peace out.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
The voices are fine but I'm not sold on the translated script.
I'd say it's outside of Manaka's character to say the word 'Animosity' and I don't know if the line "When did he stop being a boy and become a man" is just hilarious or embarrassing.
Other than that it's fine, still excited to get one of my favourite recent titles!
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Pretty much the entire male cast sound too... old. And what happened to you Chisaki Shocked?

Also, Monica? Are they even changing the names now Laughing.

A beautiful show (and that's not restricted to the visuals) like this should've been given a high grade dub, but I guess it got average instead.

Panzer Vor wrote:

Michelle Ruff > Kana Hanazawa, now and forever. As it was with Anri, so will it be with Manaka.

Good one!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2