• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
episodic review and anime forum

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Are there any plan to modify the way episodic review comment section is posted in the talkback section along with every other piece news and such?

I have two annoyance with that;

1) It's annoying to fish it back more than a day later since it ends up buried under every other piece of news.

2) It's sorta make the anime forum section redundant since there's pretty much the same things there, with people posting there general impression of episode in thread dedicated to every anime.

The elegant solution would be to just have the comment section of the episode review link to the anime specific thread in the anime forum. Less clutter in the talkback, easier to find back and combine two very similar threads.

Another possibility is to make a new forum section for episodic review and loosen the rule of the anime forum section so people can talk about w/e.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Sorry. I wanted to point out that I have seen this (several days ago).

There are currently no plans, but it is an interesting proposal; something worth thinking about.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
If I could make a suggestion.

When the episode reviews started, and had talkback threads, I was against this, as I felt it would split the discussion, and/or make one of the threads redundant. In some cases, this does happen, with the same discussion going on in both the review thread and the series discussion thread. In others, discussions go into two separate directions.

In others still, two separate "cliques" seem to form, with the reviewer's "groupies" (and/or people who agree with the reviewer) in one thread, and people who dislike the review (and/or the reviewer) in the other. Sometimes, those get to the point where at least I feel uncomfortable going into one or the other. There have also been times where the reviewer has never stepped foot into the series discussion thread, and yet their opinion (and them) start getting attacked in it.

IMO, the review talkback thread should be for the review itself (discussing and rebutting points of the review, etc), and the anime discussion thread should be for discussing the show itself. Obviously, there will be overlap, but I feel this should be how it's set up.

I think a simple line on the bottom of each episode review, along the lines of
Quote:
Please use the Talkback thread to discuss the review. To discuss the series itself, please use the [link]series discussion thread[/link]
would help point people in the right direction for each discussion.

[edit]
Forgot to add, that I find that I disagree with many points of the reviewers for 99% of the anime I enjoy. Therefore, I don't read their reviews, and then don't go into the review thread (because why should I go into the Talkback thread for an article I'm not going to read?). Because of this, I would be uncomfortable if the review talkback and series discussion threads were to be combined, because I would feel that I could not go into the only available thread to discuss the series, having no intention of reading the reviews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1