• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Buy All 37 Idolm@ster 10th Anniversary Light Sticks for US$350

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Those look like dildos. Now I have an image of my head of thousands of oktau shaking luminous dildos at the performers. Oh gawd get it out of my mind!
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Those look like dildos. Now I have an image of my head of thousands of oktau shaking luminous dildos at the performers. Oh gawd get it out of my mind!

That's a graphic picture, but more than one fan has also made a similar comment when I talked to them about it.

There's even a story behind these lights and ... don't get me started.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I think 2 of the standard 12 color changers are enough for me and my wotagei.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
A single 3000 yen multi-coloured penlight plus ultra-orange cyalumes are enough for me, although many fans use 2 penlights and ultra-orange cyalumes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Cha-Ching!
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
You must get ready for the battle. Not having all of them is just asking yourself to be killed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

A shiny dildo.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be easier to build a Light Stick that that has the ability to change colors? What a waaaste of space.

Then again, if I had the money I'd buy them all in a heartbeat Rolling Eyes
omiya

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Xavi_ wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to build a Light Stick that that has the ability to change colors?

Yes, that was a major change from Animelo Summer Live 2012 to 2013 - the 9-colour penlight replacing most of the cyalumes (apart from ultra-orange) and single colour penlights of previous years.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Idolm@ster and it's overpriced items, not a surprise since it costs close to $1000 at the current exchange rate for a full set of BDs, it was slightly over $1000 at 2011 rates for the 1st series, then again it was worth such a high price for the 1st series and I wouldn't pay more than $150-200 for Cinderella Girls.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Xavi_ wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to build a Light Stick that that has the ability to change colors? What a waaaste of space.

Then again, if I had the money I'd buy them all in a heartbeat Rolling Eyes

I think the idea is more that fans will happily and gladly buy the whole set because it's merchandise for these shows.
omoikane

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Some background info for people who care:

Like most other large-scale otaku events, the Idolm@ster lives have regulations on what kind of glows you can use at the venue, like length and size. Unlike most others however it also limits electric penlights to button-cell types only. There are a couple out on the market that fits the multi-light switch capability and runs on button cell batteries.

But why buy that when you can buy specific lights for the characters you like? LOL. It's venue-approved and kind of neat to have dozens of penlights strapped on you Rambo style? Maybe?

Which is to say these lights sold out in a day or two on pre-sales online, and brought the Lalabits store to a halt during that time.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
If one has $750+ on hand and a some friends, he/she could buy the entire set of these light sticks and perform an elaborate rainbow light show with them.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Like most other large-scale otaku events, the Idolm@ster lives have regulations on what kind of glows you can use at the venue, like length and size. Unlike most others however it also limits electric penlights to button-cell types only. There are a couple out on the market that fits the multi-light switch capability and runs on button cell batteries.

Wow, I have heard some events restrict people to penlights on sale at that event (really restrictive) or limit people to two penlights with no home-brew lights like the following allowed (image from Animax Musix 2013):

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like these rules at these concerts were made to maximize these light stick sales by prohibiting as many of the other kinds as possible while trying not to look like they're enforcing a local monopoly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2