• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
God Eater (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote

God Eater (TV)

Genres: Action, Demons, Fantasy, Supernatural, Military
Themes: Monster, Swordsman

Plot Summary: The Far East, 2071.
The domain of the mad gods.

In the early 2050s, unknown life forms called “Oracle cells” begin their uncontrolled consumption of all life on Earth. Their ravenous appetite and remarkable adaptability earn them first dread, then awe, and finally the name “aragami." In the face of an enemy completely immune to conventional weapons, urban civilization collapses, and each day humanity is driven further and further toward extinction.

One single ray of hope remains for humanity. Following the development of “God Arcs”—living weapons which incorporate Oracle cells—their wielders are organized into an elite force. In a world ravaged by mad gods, these “God Eaters” fight a desperate war...
----------------------------------

I'm pretty hyped about this this one considering ufotable is adapting it and the premise sounds promising. Apparently, there's CGI used as seen in this preview. At the same time, there's also going to be an original character to be adapted from the game.

The casts looks promising as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Just remember, in a show where the guys are dressed normally but the gals are generally dressed as strippers, they may be compensating for severe lack of plot, characterization, or animation.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Interesting art.
Looks half like a game.
I like the male characters.
They look really nice.
The plot isn't much so far, but action parts are good.
Will give it a try.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Just saw the first episode, and all I can say is I have mixed feelings about this. It's definitely not bad for a first episode, and the CGI is well done, but nothing really popped to me. However, I do give props for making the main character at least somewhat reasonable. Instead of wildly questioning his superiors like so many other rash male protagonists, Lenka actually listened and trained (for the first half anyway). He's in essence Eren + Yuu reincarnated.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Coming into this series fresh since I haven't played the game before.

Artwork is pretty distinctive so far coming from ufotable. Soundtrack is nice too imo especially in the second half. However, the story feels messy. Too much happened and I feel like I've seen this done many times.

Hard for me to judge this just yet so I'll give it some more episodes. The OP song is a bit underwhelming imo. yeah, overall mixed thoughts on this so far as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The whole "screw with the speed" thing (which I'm sure has a name in film) is one of the most tediously stupid style tricks, and is a lot of the reason I stopped watching American movies, because it started showing up in every single movie that had any kind of action whatsoever.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
but nothing really popped to me.

What do you mean? They almost popped right out of the screen. Myself, I could do without Captain Amammary, or at least her character design.

I actually liked the first episode quite a bit, despite the many blatant influences of AoT. I guess it pushed all the right shounen buttons for me. With no expectations of anything groundbreaking, I think I'll be looking forward to this.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What do you mean? They almost popped right out of the screen. Myself, I could do without Captain Amammary, or at least her character design.

I actually liked the first episode quite a bit, despite the many blatant influences of AoT. I guess it pushed all the right shounen buttons for me. With no expectations of anything groundbreaking, I think I'll be looking forward to this.

Haha, would've been even better with 3D glasses yeah? I guess it's just that I've seen that protagonist archetype quite a few times in the past seasons and it's kinda been wearing me out.
Eren: I'm gonna get stronger and kill all the titans!
Yuu: I'm gonna get stronger and kill all the vampires!
Lenka: I'm gonna get stronger and kill all the amagamis!
Plot wise nothing was really original, but art and animation wise, I agree, it almost popped right out of the screen.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Remember that Lenka is supposed to be the player customized character so giving him a stock personality type is fitting.

That said, there were some nice changes to that type. You'd expect him to be unfriendly to everyone, maybe say something like "I don't need any friends" but he didn't turn down Kouta's friendship.

If anything I was a bit distracted by how rushed it felt. Though I guess it's better than ufotable dragging things out again. I bet they just wanted to introduce Alisa as quickly as possible.

I first encountered God Eater in Project X Zone and it prompted me to get Gods Eater Burst, but I haven't gotten very far into it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to really like this show (I enjoyed the GE characters in PxZ, and my friend adores the games), but I couldn't even watch it.

First off, while the subs were fine on my roommate's computer screen, when we transferred the video to the TV, they were so tiny they could barely be read. Plus, they were white, with a lot of white backgrounds, making them further illegible.

Secondly, within 3 minutes, I'd already seen the same ad twice (once in the middle of a scene, and it appeared that the episode didn't pause for the ad).

Finally, when the ad came up, it also brought with it the position bar and controls to the bottom of the video, and they wouldn't go away. Which meant I could barely even SEE the crappy subs, let alone read them.

I could live with the crappy subs (the video is also pretty bad quality when transferred to the TV, but also passable), but I won't put up with ads blocking the video in the middle of a scene, and then block my ability to see the subs, it looks like I'm SOL on this one.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Dessa, couldn't you have watched it on your roommate's computer?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch stuff on a laptop screen, it's too small. And it still wouldn't have helped the problems with the ads interrupting scenes, or the control bar blocking the subs.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This looked commendable, but I think that there is a problem in getting this to jive right. It kind of felt "empty", or "hollow", perhaps it was that multiple times it had me thinking that there was something missing with the soundtrack. Sure there were some nice music parts, but it did not seem to quite work with me.

Well I am ready to accept the full CG thing, Sidonia is what most comes to mind. But perhaps because of that I was putting it to that level and did not quite like it. There was a series some seasons back, it was shorts with CG and gun battles and robots, looking back I think that one managed to be punchy, which this kind of needed, and actually made me think of a sort of short anime extended to have a breadth of time used for one episode.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It kind of felt "empty", or "hollow", perhaps it was that multiple times it had me thinking that there was something missing with the soundtrack. Sure there were some nice music parts, but it did not seem to quite work with me.

The relative absence of soundtrack in the first half felt very video game-y to me. It felt exactly like how the home base area feels like in a lot of games where music is intentionally avoided since it could become annoying or create too much mood in what is supposed to be a neutral environment. Noticing, now, that this is actually based on a video game it all makes sense. I kind of like the touch; it works here in the same way it does in games.
Lovely

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
Haven't watched the anime yet (not sure I will, since I love the game and I don't really care for anime adaptions of games) buuut.. the lobby area of God Eater has this music actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5v_BprA60&index=2&list=PLFBF901A175ED8DED

(which has the side effect of making you feel like a badass when doing mission prep. Anime hyper .)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5