• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 of the Worst Sore Losers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
My goodness, it was a tough choice between Fate/Stay Night and Oregairu S2, but in the end I picked F/SN. Despite the crappy review it got this season, F/SN was still a pretty damn good motivational show, and the message resonated more with my situation IRL. Oregairu was also a great show with lots of insights about relationships between people, but ultimately it doesn't exactly offer a solution to those kinds of issues.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
In the new poll I picked Blood Blockade Battlefront as the best show from Spring 2015. The final episode is not out yet, but the show has constructed something truly great and memorable in 11 episodes. I have confidence that episode 12 will be well done.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Since Kekkai hasn't ended yet I'll go with UBW. Right now I'd say they're standing in the same rating, but Kekkai could definitely go up when/if Bones ever actually manages to do the final episode. Even if it's simply more of the same quality I'd give it to Kekkai simply for being something new and not something I'd already liked before. Bones seem to be really trying to kill the hype though.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Wow I didn't think Sanji would actually win the poll last week when I voted for him. Laughing

As for best of the season I'd say Kekkai Sensen/Blood Blockade Battlefront, but it's REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAALLY out of default. The only thing I liked about the other half of fate was some of lancer and the epilogue, I don't think Yahari is as hot shit as a lot of people tell me it is My love story is cute but that's it, I never finished Punchline, the less said about Ninja Slayer the better and Plastic Memories was so awful I couldn't get past episode 5. I guess the only other show I enjoyed would have to be stardust crusaders but that was a carry over from winter so.... yeah. BBB doesn't have much competition but even then I like the show more than love it, in spite of it having a bunch of stuff I'd usually like. (urban-fantasy/sci-fi isms, bunch of dudes with powers beating each other up and causing destruction, Bones art&animation, etc.)

Here's hoping the summer season is better.

--edit--

on a side note I'm surprised Asuka is as low as she is considering how she winds up in the show but I guess being more exaggerated wins out in these cases. That said I remember really hating Nanamine when watching bakuman, but that's because from an artist's perspective what he did in the show never failed to piss me off. I don't remember too much as it's been a while since I've watched the show distinctly remember that.

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Man... I hate Krieg... I mean a lot... He just wouldn't shut up... He my least favorite anime villain and what I mean by that is that I just hate him, not love to hate him... He just... sucks...

Glad he made the list... Because that bit of sore loser-ness made me hate him even more...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Snafu 2 for me in the poll; Never expected Hachiman to break before Yukino.

As for the List, I'm still trying to figure out how Frieza didn't top it. Not because of the time when Goku declared Frieze lost and turned his back on him which sent Frieza into a frenzy, not the time he blew up Namek, not the time he was cut into pieces by his own technique and still wouldn't admit defeat.

Oh no, the ultimate sore loser would come back from mostly dead as a cyborg with his father to back him up, to destroy Goku's planet, possibly after killing every person Goku knew personally... "just because". It has nothing to do with not being able to kill Goku because if he was there, he'd some him what for. As long as he's not there, that is.

I could list other people, Light from Death Note has a few issues about not winning, but no one else turned tenacity into pathetic stupidity quite like Lord Frieza.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
What about What's-His-Name from the second first-season arc of Sword Art Online (seriously, he wasn't in the series long enough to remember it, I just refer to him as Oilcan Harry), who acts like a sore loser from his first appearance, and with no other apparent purpose to his world-domination-and-girl plot except to rub everything in Kirito's face for the destruction of the first game?

(And Sakura's dad from Card Captor Sakura didn't place for male cooks?)
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I've had less problems with BBB than I have with UBW, but we still haven't gotten a final episode, and most of Libra's been horribly underutilized.

I'll vote for UBW then; its heights triumph over more low-key successes like Shokugeki and Baby Steps.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Obito Uchiha is arguably a sore loser in the sense that spoiler[part of the reason that he become evil was that he essentially got friend zoned/something like getting friend zoned by Rin.]

Appropriately enough, Vic not only plays Free's Rin but also plays kid Obito and (Naruto spoiler) spoiler[masked Obito/Tobi] in some of the games. Another parallel is that someone mentioned Light Yagami and this is appropriate since the Japanese Rin from Free was also Light Yagami.

Edited to add spoiler quotes. --willag
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Snafu 2 for me in the poll; Never expected Hachiman to break before Yukino.

As for the List, I'm still trying to figure out how Frieza didn't top it. Not because of the time when Goku declared Frieze lost and turned his back on him which sent Frieza into a frenzy, not the time he blew up Namek, not the time he was cut into pieces by his own technique and still wouldn't admit defeat.

Oh no, the ultimate sore loser would come back from mostly dead as a cyborg with his father to back him up, to destroy Goku's planet, possibly after killing every person Goku knew personally... "just because". It has nothing to do with not being able to kill Goku because if he was there, he'd some him what for. As long as he's not there, that is.

And then Resurrection F happened, where immediately after getting revived, Freeza decides to go after Goku again, and the henchman who (quite reasonably) points out that this could easily backfire and that he could instead just resume running his empire and Goku would never know, gets killed for his trouble. And then... spoiler[Freeza undergoes intensive training until he unlocks a new form that is even stronger than Goku at his best, at which point he immediately decides "Yay, I can get my revenge now!" and heads straight to Earth before getting used to his new power, which causes the battle to take a turn for the worse for him after about five minutes and before long he can't even put a scratch on Goku, his stamina having completely run out. Then, after getting thoroughly wrecked by Vegeta, he just rage-quits and blows up the planet. Again.]
Yeah, Freeza really has not gotten over his sore loser tendencies, and really I'd say he's got Beerus quite thoroughly beaten in that regard.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
How about the Fujisaki Sisters from Angelic Layer? After Madoka suffered a painful loss from Hatoko Kobayashi, their grudge against her defeat has motivated her younger sister Arisu to manufacture a transmitter in an attempt to indirectly sabotage Misaki Suzuhara's Battle Angel Hikaru in her match against Madoka for a quick, simple [and invalid] victory.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
About the Poll:

I would place Kekkai Sensen pretty high on my list of among the best of the Spring Season, but it all depends on that last episode before I'll give my final thought on this show.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Euphonium, easy choice. UBW disappointed me, and the only other show I watched that would even be in the running is Food Wars. If anyone actually votes for Vampire Holmes, I'd love to know about it!

I'd call Haruhi Suzumiya a pretty bad loser too. It's less blatant since she so rarely actually loses at things, but this is someone who threw a cosmic temper tantrum just because her team of ragtag amateurs was losing in the first round of a city baseball tournament, and who nearly rewrote the entire universe once in a fit of jealousy.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
How about the Fujisaki Sisters from Angelic Layer? After Madoka suffered a painful loss from Hatoko Kobayashi, their grudge against her defeat has motivated her younger sister Arisu to manufacture a transmitter in an attempt to indirectly sabotage Misaki Suzuhara's Battle Angel Hikaru in her match against Madoka for a quick, simple [and invalid] victory.

Good call! Those two were about as close as that series came to having any actual villains.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
For the Poll it was a tossup between Blood Blockade Battlefront and Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet 9. Ended up choosing KoS as I just had a lot of fun with it especially towards the end with some of the cliffhangers. I'm seriously hopping for a third season.

I can't say I had much fun watching FSN:UBW or the sometimes nasty joyless feedback thread in the episode reviews. I thought it started with potential and Shirou was actually somewhat likeable early on, but by the end for me it was the total opposite. Much of this season was meh for me and at least it allowed me to work some on my backlog.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Fun list, but the ranking is puzzling. To me blowing up an entire planet is a little more of an over-reaction than berating and lying to collaborators and getting banned from Shounen Jump. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4