• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hatoful Boyfriend Game Heads to PS4, PS Vita on July 21

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
I still can't believe this is serious lol
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Just so hilarious that I must have this game! Laughing
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
What do you mean by "serious?" Seems pretty obvious that it's a spoof of dating sim games, specifically not to be taken seriously.
85cmpersecond

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
This game is one of my favorites; going through some of the early routes it seems like a light-hearted comedy, but the final route is surprisingly deep and heart wrenching. (nageki is my favorite so ouch)
Can't wait to play through again~
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
danpmss wrote:
What do you mean by "serious?" Seems pretty obvious that it's a spoof of dating sim games, specifically not to be taken seriously.

Like 85cmpersecond said, it actually pulls some pretty serious stuff on you once you delve below the satire. It's a sneaky little bastard. It's also hilarious, but that just heightens the emotional punch when things get dramatic.

Hell, the upcoming-to-Steam midquel Holiday Star has one of the most chilling scenes I've seen in any video game. Purely in text form with no images besides stock backgrounds and no audio besides a ticking clock, but chilling nonetheless. In a game that also features a PreCure parody and the theft of Christmas trees. Hatoful Boyfriend is the king of mood whiplash.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:

Like 85cmpersecond said, it actually pulls some pretty serious stuff on you once you delve below the satire. It's a sneaky little bastard. It's also hilarious, but that just heightens the emotional punch when things get dramatic.

Hell, the upcoming-to-Steam midquel Holiday Star has one of the most chilling scenes I've seen in any video game. Purely in text form with no images besides stock backgrounds and no audio besides a ticking clock, but chilling nonetheless. In a game that also features a PreCure parody and the theft of Christmas trees. Hatoful Boyfriend is the king of mood whiplash.

I'm glad you got something emotional out of it, I just find it difficult to believe they intended you to. Since I haven't played it, nor will I ever, I'll have to defer to your judgment.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Given that a key theme throughout both games is suicide, I think the creator probably intended us to. Not trying to convince you to play the game; I just get a little defensive when people assume there isn't anything beneath the admittedly silly exterior. Sorry if I'm coming off too strong.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I need to make sure I get this.
Brand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I hope that extra route gets added to the Steam version. I won't get mad or anything just a little disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to play this for ages...now I won't have an excuse not to xD I love otome games, though I'm not sure I can handle spoiler[dying in every single ending, even the good ones, or so I've been told]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Y'know I'm dying here with this game. Dating pigeons. Oh man, if they release this on disc I'm getting a copy for the library just so students can see an actual Japanese dating sim in action.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
I've been meaning to play this for ages...now I won't have an excuse not to xD I love otome games, though I'm not sure I can handle spoiler[dying in every single ending, even the good ones, or so I've been told]

Don't worry--spoiler[you're fine in most of the endings; there's one route you die in, and you (sort of) die in the unlockable final route, but for all the other good ends (there's actually only one bad end, and you only get it if you fail to romance anyone), you are very much alive. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1